Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 01:39 PM

8 posts, read 68,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewhann View Post
How are you folks doing NOW? Looks like you've had a major cold snap!

Still, though, I really am seriously considering Idaho Falls.

Keep the feedback coming!

Thanks
I think "guys" is used generically now days, but I'm sorry if I offended. The winter has been fairly typical in Idaho Falls this year, a little colder than the last ten (I've lived here off and on for the last 40+). It used to get a lot colder than it does now, (climate is warming?). I grow peaches, pears, nectarines, and grapes in my yard, four miles south of the city limits although I know that we could get an artic blast someday that will perhaps kill them and I'll have to start over. That's part of life. I'm in California right now and the same cold snap affected everything here too. A lot of lemons, some oranges and the palms were killed. You can look on the net at wunderground.com and search the daily weather history for IF or any other place. Be advised that the official weather is measured in IF at the airport and it averages 3 to 5 degrees cooler than the city south and east of it.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:03 PM

8 posts, read 68,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeDelSol View Post
They're the ugliest nastiest freaking things on eight legs I've ever seen. I'd prefer tarantulas to these things. They infest this entire area and make themselves at home in your house every fall. They prefer basements but will take the main floor if you don't have a basement. If bitten you'll find yourself with a huge infected crater in your skin that takes months to heal. Do a Google search and see for yourself.
You've got to be kidding!? Spiders live everywhere and though hobos can get in your house and do roam at night in August and September because it is their mating season; all you have to do is put down a couple of sticky traps in a couple of corners of your basement or main floor and shazaam! Their controlled. Better yet, spray around the foundation of your home in the spring and you won't have a problem. The bed away from the wall thing and shoes and such...not really an issue. I'd rather deal with a few spiders now and then than, termites?

Old 02-11-2007, 09:12 AM

241 posts, read 998,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manybees View Post
You've got to be kidding!? Better yet, spray around the foundation of your home in the spring and you won't have a problem.
I said the same thing but I believe that some ppl are trying to keep outsiders from moving into Idaho.

I would rather put up with the Hobo spider than most everything else that the other states have to offer. Our winters here tend to kill off many bugs and our summer is worth putting up with the other bugs. It has been great to not have any fleas all yr long here and great to not have to worm my horses during the winter thanks to the temps.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:16 PM

777 posts, read 3,198,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3arabs View Post
I said the same thing but I believe that some ppl are trying to keep outsiders from moving into Idaho.

I would rather put up with the Hobo spider than most everything else that the other states have to offer. Our winters here tend to kill off many bugs and our summer is worth putting up with the other bugs. It has been great to not have any fleas all yr long here and great to not have to worm my horses during the winter thanks to the temps.
Speaking of horses and winter....what do you do for them in the winter time? Do you have an enclosed barn? Do you keep them blanketed all winter? Do you try to get them out and exercise them, when the sun comes out, or when it's not snowing?

Sorry for all the questions, but my wife and I have 3 horses, and would like to know what is done in the colder climates with them.

Thanks.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:31 PM

I brought my mare with me from Cali 16 yrs ago and had to keep a blanket on her every winter till she passed in '01. Most of the horses that are from here don't have blankets and very few have shelters. My gelding that I gave away in November was from TX and he didn't do too well in the cold even though he had been here for a lil over two yrs. I kept a heavy weight blanket on him during the winter cuz he did not have an over head shelter but he did have wind blocks. I waited till he had his winter coat on before I would start to blanket him so he could have that much more protection. The horses that I have had that were born and raised here never needed a bolanket and they never would go into the barn. They would stand out in the rain and snow the whole time.

The best thing to do is to get a run in shelter or loafing shed, they are one in the same. Let them go in if they want to which most of the time they won't go in. Let them get their winter coats then when it gets real cold blanket them. I always would take the blankets off on a sunny day no matter how cold it was cuz they would get to hot in the blanket.

Most ppl do remove thier shoes in the winter but if you are going to ride you might want to talk to your farrier about what you need. Mine were barfoot most of the time anyway so it didn't matter. I always lunged them if I couldn't ride and always had a cooler on hand as well.

I fed alfalfa with Omolene products which depended on what I was doing with the horses. I also fed three times a day with grain in the am and pm to keep their guts moving to create heat for them. But every one has their own idea of what to feed. You will need to have a heated water source for them unless you want to be out there all of the time digging out the ice.

Where are you planning on moving here in ID? I have kept horses from the northern most eastern corner of ID to Twin Falls and there is a huge difference in the climate between the two areas.

If they haven't been in snow before then stock up on film cuz they are fun to watch while it is snowing. My horses that came from TX would look up at the snow as it was falling and they would do a very high step as they walked through it. Once they got use to it they would roll and roll in it. The old mare that I bought from a family in St. Anthony always rolled in it in the Spring to get her winter coat off.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3arabs View Post
I brought my mare with me from Cali 16 yrs ago and had to keep a blanket on her every winter till she passed in '01. Most of the horses that are from here don't have blankets and very few have shelters. My gelding that I gave away in November was from TX and he didn't do too well in the cold even though he had been here for a lil over two yrs. I kept a heavy weight blanket on him during the winter cuz he did not have an over head shelter but he did have wind blocks. I waited till he had his winter coat on before I would start to blanket him so he could have that much more protection. The horses that I have had that were born and raised here never needed a bolanket and they never would go into the barn. They would stand out in the rain and snow the whole time.

The best thing to do is to get a run in shelter or loafing shed, they are one in the same. Let them go in if they want to which most of the time they won't go in. Let them get their winter coats then when it gets real cold blanket them. I always would take the blankets off on a sunny day no matter how cold it was cuz they would get to hot in the blanket.

Most ppl do remove thier shoes in the winter but if you are going to ride you might want to talk to your farrier about what you need. Mine were barfoot most of the time anyway so it didn't matter. I always lunged them if I couldn't ride and always had a cooler on hand as well.

I fed alfalfa with Omolene products which depended on what I was doing with the horses. I also fed three times a day with grain in the am and pm to keep their guts moving to create heat for them. But every one has their own idea of what to feed. You will need to have a heated water source for them unless you want to be out there all of the time digging out the ice.

Where are you planning on moving here in ID? I have kept horses from the northern most eastern corner of ID to Twin Falls and there is a huge difference in the climate between the two areas.

If they haven't been in snow before then stock up on film cuz they are fun to watch while it is snowing. My horses that came from TX would look up at the snow as it was falling and they would do a very high step as they walked through it. Once they got use to it they would roll and roll in it. The old mare that I bought from a family in St. Anthony always rolled in it in the Spring to get her winter coat off.
Thanks for all the great info, I really appreciate it I will also pass this on to my better half, since the horses are really hers

I am exploring MT, WY, and ID as options to relocate to. Still not sure where yet. Guess it will depend on the job market 6 years from now, when I am ready to move. My delima is I would like to buy a house/property this year or early next year, before prices get to out of hand. I am also considering opening an auto reapair/service business though, so maybe it won't matter as much where I move to.

If we were to move to ID, I would favor the panhandle area I think We would like some horse acreage (10+), with trees, something near or in the mountains. Maybe even the eastern part of the state. We are going to try to make a road trip this summer (with our California plates ) and explore some areas, to get a better idea.

Thanks again for all the horse info

Old 02-11-2007, 09:19 PM

I love all three of those states especially where they all come together. Ashton ID is my favorite place here in ID and they are cheap there, but a very very tight lil town.

Be sure to come through Idaho Falls to HWY 20 and take it all the up through West Yellowstone MT on into Bellgrade MT, which is just west of Bozeman on I-90. Beautiful trip with tons of mountains and forest.

We have the oposite delima, we are trying to move out of here and find a nice place some where else in the US, haha. I have what some call Valley Fever, or something like that. I can't be in a place that has a long term inversion layer or tons of smog. Even the dairies & diesels around here make it so I can't breath. It isn't asthma, I just can't tolerate that nasty stuff in the air. We even had to sell our diesel pickup, after it broke down, thanks to my lungs, boy do I miss that truck!!!!

Good luck with your search and if your wife has any questions feel free to ask.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,174 times
Yes the winter here can be difficult. If you have a decent vehicle (4whl drv),
and you prepare for the winter, it's not too bad. Great snow skiing and snow mobile activities. As for the summer, they are fantastic. I have lived in this area nearly 40 years and have seen only a few bad summers. Spring is beautiful, fall is stunning and summer is nearly perfect. On occasion rain can be plentiful in summer but this is rare, very rare. You will not see tornados, or any unbearable conditions. I live near Rathdrum and this is what I know. It is safe, good place for singles, kids or retirees. A good balance of all folks. The golf courses around here are plentiful and offer different challenges for different levels of all golfers. The area is full of lakes, mountains, hunting and fishing. The lakes in this area are some of the biggest and most beautiful in the world. Spokane, Washington is 30 minutes from here and it is a good city.
Yes it has it's share of issues- budgets, small gang activity and typical other mid-size city stuff. Spokane is growing in every area. Can't say much about the job market but I think you would find something. Couer d Alene, Idaho is a nice small town that is currently continuing to grow in all areas. Recently the propety values in this area skyrocketed and seem to be a little bit unreasonable. However it seems to have settled down. The Income to Expense ratio is disturbing. Most people barely make it but, You get out of life what you put into it. For those who are struggling, I imagine it is there own fault. Opportunity is here if you take charge and find it. I would reccomend this area to anyone. What I like best is it is safer than most big cities and the weather truly is excellent in the non winter seasons. Hope that helps you.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:36 PM

Thank you my3arabs

Knight: Thanks for your info also. 30 minutes from Spokane, which I would think would be commutable for work, is not unreasonable if I wanted to live in ID, I suppose.
I'll have to look into areas surrounding CDA, and also look into Ashton and Rathdrum.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:54 PM

14 posts, read 51,886 times
We moved to Bend, Oregon about 1-1/2 yrs ago from Cincinnati and Bend is a very beautiful area - you might want to get Bend out if you are driving out west. Bend is about 70,000 and growing. It has a great downtown and Old Mill Area shopping... there is snowmobiling or skiing 1/2 hr away and lots of small lakes for kayaking in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho