Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,365 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

We're currently in Idaho on vacation and we're in love. Now we realize that Idaho is a very conservative state and that it might not be the best place for a gay couple, but its just too fabulous here!

Where would you suggest a young gay couple look as far as settling down? Obviously Boise would be the first answer, but we weren't too crazy about it when we were there this week. I guess we're looking for something a little smaller, less busy, and more community.

We have thick skin, and we are outgoing and proud of who we are, so we're not too worried about what people might whisper.

We appreciate any advice you have for us!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 02:33 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
Even though southeast Idaho is quite conservative, there are gays and lesbians here. When my cousin who is gay was going to come out for a visit, he floored me by finding gay bars in Pocatello.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:21 PM

210 posts, read 946,819 times
Pocatello has quite a large gay community for a conservative SE Idaho town. My brother is gay and mostly likes it here after living in some bigger cities. Some of the community are druggies or are not too nice but you find those in any group.

What things about Idaho or parts of Idaho did you like?

Old 07-04-2008, 03:34 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,302 times
Sandpoint might be what you are looking for.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:01 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,439,132 times
As long as your not from California, you'll probably be OK anywhere in Idaho..LOL.;-)

Old 07-04-2008, 07:07 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,097 times
You should move to the town YOU like best!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:37 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,233,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
As long as your not from California, you'll probably be OK anywhere in Idaho..LOL.;-)
Please, if they are from California they have just as much of a right to live in Idaho as anyone else living there.

Back to the original topic, norcalmom said it best, move to the town you like best, and good luck in your future move.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:34 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,439,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Please, if they are from California they have just as much of a right to live in Idaho as anyone else living there.

Back to the original topic, norcalmom said it best, move to the town you like best, and good luck in your future move.
It was just a joke, lighten up. I live in California and will be moving to Idaho. Im fairly aware that people from Cali. are free to move to Idaho.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:30 PM

791 posts, read 2,958,424 times
Another vote for Sandpoint

Old 07-08-2008, 12:16 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,715 times
Sandpoint (city area) is going to be very socially tolerant, but you'll find it's a very small group of people with more liberal social views (not saying that's right or wrong, it just is what it is). So if you're living right in town, and your social life revolves around Sandpoint, you're fine.

However, while fiercely Libertarian (in a live-and-let-live) sort of way, MUCH of the rest of North Idaho (even 3-4 miles outside of Sandpoint) is going to be very much a churchgoing bunch, so while you'll be politely accepted, your social calendar will by default revolve around a very small group of people up here if I'm drawing a correct inference that you guys are really "out there". (if that's a correct term...I'm trying to get a point across here). What I guess I mean is that nobody (including my circle of friends, many of whom are churchgoers) are going to treat you poorly if it's just acknowledged that you're both gay ("proud" not really being germane here unless you're somehow enjoying pushing people's comfort levels), but if you're really "out" in an extremely public "in your face" way it's going to make a lot of otherwise tolerant people very uncomfortable, almost in the same way that heterosexual behavior in public taken to an extreme is in poor taste. But part of that is just having good social manners understanding where you are IMO. I think everyone should be prudent enough to behave differently in different areas...."when in Rome"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho