Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 01:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,751 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Twin Falls in October from Mississippi and will be buying a new car before then. I understand they don't see too much snow there, but I've never driven in snow before and would like to know what the best type of car would be for driving in snow, as far as 4 wheel drive vs. 2 wheel drive, front wheel vs. rear wheel.
Also, I'm a canoer and kayaker, and would like to try mountain biking and skiing, and was wondering if 4x4 would be necessary or beneficial to get to access points for these sports.
Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 02:04 AM

65 posts, read 282,625 times
Get a 4x4!

Old 07-12-2008, 09:06 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Yes, I'm going to have to second that on the 4 x 4. Sounds like you might head to some remote areas for un and better safe than sorry. Besides you'll want something large enough to carry the outdoor toys with

Old 07-12-2008, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,751 times
Thanks for the input. I definitely want 4x4, but I'm trying to figure out if I absolutely need it (money is an issue). I'm pretty much deciding between the Honda Element, which gets really good gas mileage, or the Toyota FJ Cruiser, which doesn't. Both can carry toys, but I'm not sure how remote access points to the rivers and biking trails are.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:23 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzah42 View Post
Thanks for the input. I definitely want 4x4, but I'm trying to figure out if I absolutely need it (money is an issue). I'm pretty much deciding between the Honda Element, which gets really good gas mileage, or the Toyota FJ Cruiser, which doesn't. Both can carry toys, but I'm not sure how remote access points to the rivers and biking trails are.
Have you been out to scout the area yet? You might want to wait until you get here to buy a different vehicle.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,326 times
It's probably good that you first come out here and see what you think. Any "real" areas in the mountains you'll want to access would require a decent vehicle to get to. Most of the general areas to access, though, you can get to easily with a Honda RT4WD or something comparable.

As far as the snow, an AWD or RT4WD (as with the Honda's) work great in the snow. It does not snow much, but when it does, and accompanied with the cold winds, keeps what show there is on the ground for quite a while. So, a small, thin sheet of hard ice can be a bit slippery, whether driving or walking on it.

I've been mentioning Honda's because you mentioned the Element, which I think would be a good choice, and because I have a CRV, which is awesome in the light snow we get.

We get about 3 feet throughout the season, and this was a longer-than-usual cold spell.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:37 PM

5 posts, read 25,932 times
Default Don't Need 4x4

Most people drive up and down main street in thier 4x4 and only put it in 4x4 once or twice a year. I grew up in the mountains near Twin and we didn't have a 4x4 and we got alonge fine.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:39 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
I have a Subaru Forester...I get almost 30 mpg and I can tow a trailer if need be. Right now I live in Arizona but I plan to relocate to NID next year and I am very sure my Forester will get me anywhere I need or want to go! Good luck!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:28 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,553 times
I'll second the Subaru Forester, great gas mileage and those things will go anywhere.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,278 times
Hey there, my sister-in-law moved here from Tupelo, MS. Anyway, since you're not used to the snow, it might be interesting, but I drive any car. In the winter you might want snowtires for your vehicle, whether small or large. Snowtires are definitely the catalyst, but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho