Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 04:07 AM

7 posts, read 23,871 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Boise Idaho in just two weeks and am concerned about how we will be accepted because my wife is from the south Pacific. My son is also dark skin just like her mom. I am White. She's from the island of Palau. My wife has been hearing rumors from her co workers that there is a lot of prejudice in Idaho. Could i be making a big mistake? Can anyone tell me what to expect? I was there 6 months ago visiting a familey member and i remember how friendly everyone was. Everyone was always smileing. Will they smile when they see us as a familey?
P.S Any information would be helpful. You may e-mail me at
evas.hart@sbcglobal.net. Thank u.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 09:38 AM

218 posts, read 1,487,446 times
I am not much help on this one - Afraid I must answer your question with questions: You said a family member lives there?
Is this person apt to answer honestly regarding what reactions, if any, they have seen around the Boise area?
When you were there, did you see folks of various ethnicities?

My familiarity is with the Idaho panhandle area - Around Coeur d'Alene, so a long way from Boise.
Keep checking in here, though. I have no doubt some folks 'in-the-know' about Boise will come forward
and help you out. I have found this to be a very honest and sincere forum overall.

Fingers are crossed that your whole family might find southern Idaho to be a welcome home.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:57 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,275,852 times
I'm afraid I won't be of much good to you either as I'm across the state near Idaho Falls. I know we have "blended" families here (is that the terms I want? ) And as far as I can tell they get along alright, then again it's not like we've sat down and discussed things either.

Like I said, I'm not much help, sorry. Don't give up, someone will chime in sooner or later

Old 01-15-2007, 12:48 PM

21 posts, read 116,685 times
Quote:
I will be moving to Boise Idaho in just two weeks and am concerned about how we will be accepted because my wife is from the south Pacific. My son is also dark skin just like her mom. I am White. She's from the island of Palau. My wife has been hearing rumors from her co workers that there is a lot of prejudice in Idaho. Could i be making a big mistake? Can anyone tell me what to expect
Ironmonkey,
I have lived in the Boise area for a little over 30 years. During this time, I have seen many mixed couples. Over this time, I have never witnessed any type of action against anyone of them. A few have become my friends.

"Rumors" are just made to scare people. Some are started to frighten newcomers into staying away, and others are started because someone was bored. I hear others, from out of state, say we are prejudice, but have yet to see it with my own eyes. We as a State, were finally able to get rid of the "Skin Heads" that were up north. That should say something as to how the majority feels about our beliefs. But, most of us enjoy people who treat us as they want to be treated. If you and your family come here with a chip on your shoulder of any kind, someone will try to knock it off.
Thats just how most of us are. If you come with the expectation of helping the community better itself, and making a better life for you and yours, then you should fit right in and have a happy life here.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:27 PM

241 posts, read 998,784 times
Boise is more diversified than the smaller towns in ID. I really don't think that you will have a problem. Move there expecting the best from everyone and give your best as well and you should be ok. Just remember that all towns and states have their few wackos but they don't determine what the rest of the ppl are like. Boise has the University there so there are tons of other ethnicities there as well.

My three oldest kids are all very dark and haven't really had any problems with ppl in Idaho Falls. The two middle children are half Shoshone and they are treated very well in their small community on the East side of the state.

I am not kidding move in with a smile and don't assume that they are saying things about you. Get involved with your new community as soon as you can and things should work out fine.

Good luck with your move.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:49 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davekn View Post
Ironmonkey,
Thats just how most of us are. If you come with the expectation of helping the community better itself, and making a better life for you and yours, then you should fit right in and have a happy life here.

I want to move next door to you

That's EXACTLY the kind of environment I hope to find!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:27 PM

7 posts, read 27,511 times
I had the same type of feelings before moving here. The first week, it was on my mind a lot, I kept feeling like we stood out or something (the city is 90%+ white). But in reality, people in Boise are very nice and not racist - you're wife will probably never hear anything racist said to her. The race thing is mostly in your head, and is only a problem if you let it be a problem.

Before I moved to Idaho, people would always mention two things that they knew about it: potatoes, and white supremicists. Well, there is no white supremecist thing happening anymore.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:33 AM

7 posts, read 23,871 times
And the potatoes?.lol

Old 01-30-2007, 03:09 PM

66 posts, read 309,444 times
I live in the North, and to be quite frank, the white supremacist thing was never as big as it looked in the news. Most of the whackos were transplants from outside (there IS space to be isolated in here, and most Idahoans will mind their own business until someone starts to be a significant problem--so whackos sometimes think this will be their Utopia). The supremacist leader died two years ago and all his flunkies (40? 50?) mostly went home (out of state).

I do remember the first time I saw the supremacist leader's wine-red Volvo with all its slogans. Holy cow. I'm a lifetime Idahoan and I was stunned...which just goes to show that supremacists aren't very visible here. (I only saw that Volvo twice).

You'll be fine, your family will be fine, and if anyone says anything it won't be because they're Idahoans. It'll be because they're racist jerks.

What you may find is that your wife will draw attention from someone who will stun her by greeting her in Belauan or Tobian and asking about specific things or people. My friend here has a Korean student staying with her who about fell over when a guy walked up to her and started speaking her language. It's not an absolute, but because of the LDS population, it's a possibility.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:10 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejaka View Post
You'll be fine, your family will be fine, and if anyone says anything it won't be because they're Idahoans. It'll be because they're racist jerks.

BRAVO! If yours was a more common attitude we'd live in a better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho