Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:14 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,523,528 times

Advertisements

I am on my last nerve. Yes we moved to a small town, but on the planet I came from it is considered very rude to stop in on folks unannounced and uninvited. Is this not considered rude in Idaho? Now, several of these visits have been missionaries, one was some guy trying to get contact info for the LDS church, but my last straw was my kids science teacher and his whole family bearing a plate of donuts and trying to welcome us to his ward. I made it abundantly clear to him that I know how to find a church if I want to, and I'm getting sick and tired of church people coming over without calling. HELP!!!!:mad :
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 06:44 PM

238 posts, read 863,615 times
I don't even like it when my own mother drops in unanounced. But yeah, LDS missionaries are to be expected from time to time. As for super-diddly-duper nice LDS townies... can't imagine being new to town anywhere outside Boise metro, probably a bit like mars farther east... I'm sure they'll catch on soon enough. Best of luck

Old 11-02-2008, 06:56 PM

926 posts, read 2,748,074 times
I live in an apartment so I dont have to worry about missionaries but my friend seems to be "in my neighborhood" alot and he buzzes my building or slips in with someone and knocks on the door. I think he is trying to be sneaky and see if I have a guy over (even though we arent together) but it bugs the crap put of me!!! And he wonders why i dont want to be with him- because I dont want to date a stalker! lol
but I agree it is rude, it can be embarrassing too like if I just did laundry and I have my knickers out or if I have dishes piled in the sink....

Old 11-02-2008, 06:59 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,882 times
I would welcome friends dropping in. Folks used to do that until we became brainwashed that it is rude. Before everyone had telephones that is how it was done. The main reason I would want a friend to call ahead, is so they wouldn't make the long trip to our house, and we not be at home.

Around here it is not Mormons, it is JWs, and that is not often enough to be a nuisance. I always meet them at the door and, unless I am sick or just do not have the time, I will stand inside the door and explain to them who I am and what I believe. Frequently the same women come, and are friendly knowing that I am not going to be subscribing to their faith, and not taking their literature. I have had rather long friendly discussions with them...with me doing most of the talking. After all, they are at my door!

BTW, I am a 40years+ native Idahoan...that is why I responded on this thread.

Last edited by Towhee; 11-02-2008 at 07:28 PM..

Old 11-02-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need2Leave View Post
I don't even like it when my own mother drops in unanounced. But yeah, LDS missionaries are to be expected from time to time. As for super-diddly-duper nice LDS townies... can't imagine being new to town anywhere outside Boise metro, probably a bit like mars farther east... I'm sure they'll catch on soon enough. Best of luck
How many time to times do you figure are in a week? My own mother knows not to come by unannounced. One of my kids just put a bunch of signs in the window (along the lines of unannounced, uninvited, = unwelcome).

Honestly, I really don't think the burden should be on me to explain to people who stand on my property uninvited why I'm not available to have been interrupted to explain...you get the idea.

The moment they step foot on my property the damage is done, any polite response on my part is insult to injury.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:52 PM

I by no means have any problem with a neighbor coming by for a legitimate reason, for example anything to do with shared irrigation, or to let me know about something pertaining to the property, or borrow a rake, or looking for a lost dog, etc....

Old 11-02-2008, 08:06 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,553 times
Wow, your kids science teacher and family came with a plate full of donuts to welcome you? How DARE they!! I myself would find that rather refreshing I think. But then again, Im pretty sociable and would enjoy having close contact with the people educating my kid.
Now if they did this once a month or more without calling I might ask them to call first, but dang it sounds like they were just trying to be nice.

I have a feeling you are going to continue to find things that annoy you in Idaho if this is any indication. Just my opinion, and no disrespect intended.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:13 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
Here in NID, Sunday afternoons are still full of folks just dropping by to see if you're home to chat a bit...totally normal, and it would be considered rude to not be hospitable...

If you're already entertaining guests, folks just say their hellos and keep moving on. During the work week, it wouldn't be considered polite to just drop by during the day or evening...

Old 11-02-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
Wow, your kids science teacher and family came with a plate full of donuts to welcome you? How DARE they!! I myself would find that rather refreshing I think. But then again, Im pretty sociable and would enjoy having close contact with the people educating my kid.
Now if they did this once a month or more without calling I might ask them to call first, but dang it sounds like they were just trying to be nice.

I have a feeling you are going to continue to find things that annoy you in Idaho if this is any indication. Just my opinion, and no disrespect intended.

Personally, I think discovering a public school teacher on one's porch talking to one's children about joining them at their church extraordinarily offensive. We weren't being welcomed to the neighborhood, we were being welcomed to the Ward.

As for finding anything annoying in Idaho, I haven't had a problem here. Moved in smoothly, found work I liked, kids like their school, made friends, so I don't really see how you came up with your conclusion. But then, my friends and coworkers don't come over giving religious literature to my minor children and welcoming them to their church.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Here in NID, Sunday afternoons are still full of folks just dropping by to see if you're home to chat a bit...totally normal, and it would be considered rude to not be hospitable...

If you're already entertaining guests, folks just say their hellos and keep moving on. During the work week, it wouldn't be considered polite to just drop by during the day or evening...

Now that sounds relatively reasonable. People dropping by at least 4 nights out of 7 to solicit for a church is different. I'm the first to admit to having PTSD, but as long as I'm not feeling violated it isn't an issue. And it sure seems to me that I should be able to be home alone without feeling violated. So in this situation should I call the leadership of the local LDS church and ask them to please stop coming onto my property? I really don't want to be rude, but I just want to be left alone between now and the time I save up for a nice tall fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho