Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2008, 07:31 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,294 times

Advertisements

Hello, a Virginian here just seeking some basic information on Idaho. My only experience with Idaho is passing through the northernmost part at night on Amtrak.

Just briefly tell me..eg.: Northern Long winters , big snows , cool summers. Higher cost of living in east,west,north, south?

By the way Idaho is one beautiful state!

Thanks to all, wishing everyone the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 07:36 PM

464 posts, read 1,111,193 times
I will be anxious to here comments as well since I already have made the commitment to move even though I have yet to visit. lol

Old 11-28-2008, 08:16 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,382 times
Hello Sunset_Va,

You, too, come from a beautiful State. You're liable to get many flowery answers to your question in this Forum. Rather than boring you with our love of the State of Idaho and its features, I suggest you refer to Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia by clicking on:

Idaho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Everything you read there is pretty accurate and straight-forward. I hope that helps. Thanks for stopping by.

Bob

Old 11-29-2008, 06:43 AM

624 posts, read 1,161,294 times
Default Wiki

Pimit2

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I will look up that link.

What got my attention was a picture thread I viewed about Boise, and I was struck at how beautiful that city is.

Best of luck to everyone.

Last edited by Sunset_Va; 11-29-2008 at 06:57 AM..

Old 11-30-2008, 09:11 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va View Post
Just briefly tell me..eg.: Northern Long winters , big snows , cool summers. Higher cost of living in east,west,north, south?

By the way Idaho is one beautiful state!

You want BRIEF? I'll give you brief. (been all over Idaho..never lived there).

Northern 'Panhandle'....ruggedly mountainous, mostly heavily timbered, and contains several large lakes. Has close ties with nearby inland British Columbia. The panhandle considers itself part of the "inland Empire" with Spokane (WA) as its main focus.

South of THAT....rugged mountains continue...timber thins out. Quite remote, isolated and scenic toward the east (Montana border)

Boise and vicinity....'busier'. more populated. Nice 'small city' urban area, with suburbs, industries, farms, etc.

Southwest Idaho...VERY remote, desert-like.

Snake River Valley (Southern Idaho)...much farming, some good-sized towns, strong LDS (Mormon) influence. Some desert. High rugged mountains in the extreme east near Wyoming border.

A very pretty place...I can't speak for their winters, but seems like a fine place to live.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:28 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,439,132 times
I agree with Macmeals summation, and Im the same way. Been all over the state but havent lived there YET.. To me North Idaho is just breathtaking with its beauty, its hard to stay on the road while driving there cause you want to rubber neck all the time. That doesnt mean the rest of the state is not pretty, just coming from a high desert type climate all the tree's, and lush greenery really get me going. The HUGE lakes, rivers galore, cool summers, endless things to do, it all adds up to incredible to me..
Idaho has dramatic geographic changes, and the only way to really get it is to go there and travel around the state. You can be in dense forest, and alpine mountains, all the way to sand dunes and lava rock in Idaho.. Its all fantastic, and just depends on what you like.. Idaho has just about eveything you could want cept for ocean views

Old 12-02-2008, 09:09 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,214 times
This is what Midvale looks like. Web Cam view and I see clouds this morning. We are sort of high desert. There are pine trees close by, 5 miles or less, on the mountains. This view is from the top of Midvale hill. Elevation 3338 or close.

RNS Midvale Hill Cam

Midvale is down under the clouds. What can be seen in the foreground is the rest stop.

Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: