Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:19 PM

46 posts, read 275,675 times

Advertisements

Idaho's a great place to visit, but living there would seem like culture shock to me (from Western Washington). I know the entire state isn't neo-Nazis and Mormons, but that's definitely the kind of talk that goes around over here. What locales are in Idaho that are most tolerant of diversity (of people and views)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 09:56 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Sounds to me like there are a LOT of ignorant people around you. The LDS church is very dominant (like 50% of religious people) in SE Idaho, but not at all dominant elsewhere, and WAY under-represented in NID.

Read some of the threads about nazis in Idaho. Just not a factor period.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:07 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,007 times
I was going to mention that Seattle is known as being a Skinhead hotbed and not the king of diversity and accepting city that many people think it is.
I have been there many times and like the city for what if offers, but that city has its issues to deal with.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:19 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
dx, sounds like you live around a bunch of intolerant, biased, ignorant people who can't stand anyone who disagrees with them. That meets the L word definition.

Don't believe such trash, those boys know not of what they speak.
They are merely elitists who want to think they're not what they really are. They project their own massive intolerance onto "inferior" people who they've never met.

Sounds like prejudice to me.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:12 AM

130 posts, read 428,287 times
dx, coming from Western Washington myself, I can tell you the transition to Idaho will be difficult if you chose the wrong place to settle.

I have always loved the Couer d' Alene area since I visited as a youngster and things have changed a lot since then, for the better I'd say. But fate chose Smalltown southcentral Idaho for me. There I was harassed about the fact that I was from Western Washington (even though I'm originally from Montana), teased about the clothes I wore, the food I ate and the brand of coffee I chose to drink, called 'Outsider' and 'Bunnyhugger' on a regular basis. Culture shock? Oh, yeah...Tolerance? Not much. I was treated wonderfully by the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, however.

If you decide to move to Idaho, pick a more populated area where you can enjoy some anonymity. I think you'd like the Panhandle as much as I did. I also really, really liked Stanley (not a lot of population, but some open minds there), Sun Valley and that area.

Stereotypes abound. It behooves EVERYONE to investigate them fully before uprooting themselves to start a new life no matter where you're going.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Acre for acre Idaho and Wyoming are possibly the most conservative states in the Union.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:35 AM

238 posts, read 863,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxenopoulos View Post
Idaho's a great place to visit, but living there would seem like culture shock to me (from Western Washington). I know the entire state isn't neo-Nazis and Mormons, but that's definitely the kind of talk that goes around over here. What locales are in Idaho that are most tolerant of diversity (of people and views)?
Most tolerant towns? - most of them. Idaho's state motto could easily be the "mind your own damn business" state.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:39 AM

993 posts, read 3,251,826 times
I love the "Mind your own damn buisness state "

But if I have a Hot Lady Morman neighbor it would be easier to listen to her

Old 02-23-2009, 11:55 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,438,706 times
Well Sun Valley was the ONLY county that voted "blue" in the latest election if thats any indicator.. I guess Demi Moore and Bruce Willis REALLY got out the vote..Ha!!!
Just my take, I think it would be very hard to be a "vocal liberal" anywhere in Idaho

Old 02-23-2009, 01:04 PM

27 posts, read 99,265 times
Frankly, I find the Idaho conservatives way more tolerant than the Bay Area liberals I live around now. Idahoans mind their own business and leave you alone.

Coeur d Alene) is more "diverse", ie, full of self-righteous "tolerant" liberals if that's what you're looking for. Half of Coeur d Alene migrated from California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho