Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 05:23 AM

1 posts, read 5,921 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My husband and I are planning on moving out West from Florence Italy. We have been looking at places to buy in Colorado and Montana. We recently found a restaurant in McCall that we thought might suit us. We are looking to buy a restaurant/inn and we are wondering what the situation is like in McCall? Are there enough tourists to support a business year round, or would we have to depend on the locals? Any advise about the area and the restaurant scene would be much appreciated. Thank you, Emily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 01:58 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,439,132 times
ANYTIME I've ever been through McCall on a weekend or god forbid a holiday weekend the place is always JAMMED... Alot of people like going there, and it doesnt want for tourists in my opinion

Old 04-26-2009, 10:01 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,214 times
I am not sure if Tamarack closing is taking a hit on McCall or not. It is a pretty place for sure.

A link to a web cam of the lake and there are other links on this page of McCall.
May Hardware Cam - Brundage Mountain Resort Web Cam & Daily Photo Gallery

Chris

Old 04-26-2009, 05:16 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,062,717 times
McCall is a very pleasant town despite the busy atmosphere. The City-Data page for McCall lists NO registered sex offenders at all and that is very rare these days. Every time I have ever passed through McCall I have noticed a very heavy police presence and that makes for lower crime and tourists love to vacation in safe places. This recession, (I call it an adjustment or a correction) will not last as long as some may think and you may be able to dicker them down on the restaurant. I say go for it, and welcome to the CD Forums. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 10,230 times
As a full time resident, I can tell you that the local business struggle to keep things in the black. There are 2 new restaurants that opened this spring and and are doing quite well. They are small capacity and very popular with both tourists and locals. The cost of living here is high for the available wages, and there are plenty of "fine dining" type establishments. The locals love to get out, but won't do it often at the upscale restaurants. This is an amazing place to live, especially when it it not full of tourists. Yes, we appreciate them, but it's nice when things are a little more quiet around here.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:31 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,442,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
McCall is a very pleasant town despite the busy atmosphere. The City-Data page for McCall lists NO registered sex offenders at all and that is very rare these days.
Every time I have ever passed through McCall I have noticed a very heavy police presence and that makes for lower crime and tourists love to vacation in safe places. This recession, (I call it an adjustment or a correction) will not last as long as some may think and you may be able to dicker them down on the restaurant. I say go for it, and welcome to the CD Forums. Good luck.
You are in correct to say there are NO SEX OFFENDERS in McCall.

You dont go by a non official source for something like that.

You use a source Like this one:

Central Sex Offender Registry - Bureau of Criminal Identification - Idaho State Police - Registry Search (http://isp.state.id.us/sor_id/search.htm - broken link)

And it lists 6 Adult in McCall

16 in Valley County

In Cascade there are 6 adult offenders

In Donnelly there are 4 adult offenders

Old 08-22-2009, 08:37 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,442,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idarchie View Post
As a full time resident, I can tell you that the local business struggle to keep things in the black. There are 2 new restaurants that opened this spring and and are doing quite well. They are small capacity and very popular with both tourists and locals. The cost of living here is high for the available wages, and there are plenty of "fine dining" type establishments. The locals love to get out, but won't do it often at the upscale restaurants. This is an amazing place to live, especially when it it not full of tourists. Yes, we appreciate them, but it's nice when things are a little more quiet around here.
Some of that struggle is because they close at 5 pm during the summer season or even the ski season. After people have been out playing all day some want to meander through town and maybe do some shopping and when they are closed it makes it difficult to do.
And some even have a close when they want attitude and then wonder how they are going to pay their bills.

My Fathers Place is a Great Family eatery are always busy too! How many foo foo places does a place like that need. They should be family oriented as many go there with there kids or do not want to dress up for dinner after a day of hiking, mountain biking, river rafting, fishing, boating, and winter sports they are tired and want some food.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:28 PM

57 posts, read 179,159 times
Default McCall

Hey guys, I need your help

I saw some townhouse in Donnelly near McCall, and the area is really pretty. For a single mother w 2 teens how likely I will be able to find a job if I decide to buy property?
What jobs are available in McCall? What are the wages?
If I invest in property, once I relocate, I need a job right away to help me pay the bills, I will not carry on a mortgage.
What are your opinions. Will I be able to find a job and what kind of jobs are available there.
Thanks 4 your help.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:53 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,932,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Such_a_Turist View Post
Hey guys, I need your help

I saw some townhouse in Donnelly near McCall, and the area is really pretty. For a single mother w 2 teens how likely I will be able to find a job if I decide to buy property?
What jobs are available in McCall? What are the wages?
If I invest in property, once I relocate, I need a job right away to help me pay the bills, I will not carry on a mortgage.
What are your opinions. Will I be able to find a job and what kind of jobs are available there.
Thanks 4 your help.
The town is very small (population 2415) and tourist oriented. Jobs are very hard to find here. You are either rich or some what poor living here. Most of us that are hanging in here have been here for a while and bought when it was cheap. If Tamarack comes back the place will have hope, but for now unless, you come with a business to offer the area, no one is hiring.

The schools are not okay, but very small, not a lot of resources and if your kids really like the outdoors then they won't be bored. If they don't like the mountains, deep snow and no McDonald's they will think you moved them to the end of the world.

Not to be bleak, this is a beautiful place to live just very hard to make a living. I came here married with 2 boys and it has been a difficult place to get ahead in and the winters are long and can be very harsh. Just depends on what your use to living in.

Not to say it's impossible to get work here just difficult. You can go to Idaho Job service.............Idaho Department of Labor > Home on this site you can put in different cities and this might give you an idea of jobs in the area.

If you like you can direct message me and I can give you more information. Hope this helps and wish you the best of luck!!

Old 12-09-2009, 01:10 PM

57 posts, read 179,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
The town is very small (population 2415) and tourist oriented. Jobs are very hard to find here. You are either rich or some what poor living here. Most of us that are hanging in here have been here for a while and bought when it was cheap. If Tamarack comes back the place will have hope, but for now unless, you come with a business to offer the area, no one is hiring.

The schools are not okay, but very small, not a lot of resources and if your kids really like the outdoors then they won't be bored. If they don't like the mountains, deep snow and no McDonald's they will think you moved them to the end of the world.

Not to be bleak, this is a beautiful place to live just very hard to make a living. I came here married with 2 boys and it has been a difficult place to get ahead in and the winters are long and can be very harsh. Just depends on what your use to living in.

Not to say it's impossible to get work here just difficult. You can go to Idaho Job service.............Idaho Department of Labor > Home on this site you can put in different cities and this might give you an idea of jobs in the area.

If you like you can direct message me and I can give you more information. Hope this helps and wish you the best of luck!!

Thanks 4 your help. I just got a chance to lay hands on a PC. I visited ID not long ago and was very impressed with the people. Very nice, polite and friendly folks. The landscape is gorgeous too, I almost felt as if I was visiting another planet! Beautiful indeed.
How can I contact you directly 4 more info? I still want to move and would like to get as much info as possible.
Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: