Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 11:37 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,348,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreday5265 View Post
they sell those potatoe dress' at the museum in blackfoot. i think you can buy them online!
I'll bet the sacks didn't come from the Long Bros.' warehouse. The company ceased business back in the 1950s.

From the looks of my poster, I don't think Marilyn was actually wearing a sack dress. It looks like the bottom of the sack was cut off short, and the burlap was frayed to create a fringe on the bottom, while the neck opening at the top and arm holes were simply opened up less. And then the back of the sack was pinned to fit her waist very snugly.

Back then, when Marilyn was quite young and was making more money as a model than an actress, she had a 20 inch waist! (That was according to her room mate, who was also a model.)

What's amazing is how this photo has become so popular since it's re-discovery back in the 80s. There were only 2 copies ever made from the negative, and the only one anyone remembered was the one that was pinned up in the Long's warehouse office on a cork board behind the counter. It had been moved around several times and was pretty beat-up and had lots of holes in the corners.

The other had been long forgotten, stuffed away in a file cabinet full of ancient files in Minneapolis. it was discovered by complete serendipity.

As far as I know, the Idaho Potato Commission only printed the posters and a bunch of 8x11 photo reproductions in one year only. All were given away to members of the Commission that single time, and the 8x11's were much more popular than the posters. I never thought it would be more than just an Idaho thing when I swapped my Les Paul poster for my copy.

Interestingly, both posters are now highly collectible rarities. The Les Paul guitar that was pictured in the poster I swapped has become the standard of excellence of it's type, so it's very famous now, and sold 10 years ago for a 6-figure sum.
The company that printed it is now long gone. They specialized in only printing guitar and music magazines. The big poster I had was a subscription giveaway and like the Marilyn poster, came in a shipping tube.

A smaller version of the poster was folded and stapled into one issue of the mag, pretty much like the 8x11s of Marilyn, and both aren't worth nearly as much as the larger posters.

I gotta say I got the best of the deal. Marilyn hasn't faded a bit since she was new, but the Les Paul has, a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 01:34 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,187 times
I was just at the potato museum in Blackfoot the other day:

Old 10-23-2014, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 8,210 times
Default Idaho Potatoes

Twin Falls vintage  100 lbs. Potato sack worn by Marilyn Monroe-idaho-poster_small.jpg

Old 02-26-2023, 01:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,145 times
Hi, this is the first post I have seen from anyone with any knowledge of the origins of the posters. My grandfather passed last year at the age of 100, one of the things I inherited was the framed poster of Marilyn in the potato sack. I believe this to be one of the originals as it hung on the wall in his office for as long as I can recall and I am in my mid 40's. In addition, there is a typed letter on the back of the framing that states it was a promotional item used as a convention gift. It goes on to say that since the posters are not being sold to the public, and the number available is limited, your copy should have unique value as a conversation piece as well as a collectors item. Now this isn't the 8x11 photo you mentioned you had, this is a full length poster, probably 24"x36". I believe it was given to my grandfather as he was President of a food distribution company called PYA Monarch. What I have is definitely not a cheap knock-off reproduction as you see all over the internet today. I am interested in selling it but I have no idea where to begin or how to even get a decent appraisal as I live in Columbia, SC and there isn't much of an art community around here. Little more about your story as is stated on this letter is that when Long Produce ceased business in the late 50's, that the prized photo vanished. Later one was found in Minneapolis at a garage sale and purchased by a Union Pacific Railroad Executive who presented the photo to the Idaho Growers-Shippers Association with two copies for their use. Reproduction of the photo by the Association is what led to the posters being created.

Last edited by 803EP; 02-26-2023 at 01:34 AM..

Old 02-27-2023, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 1,145 times
Default BanjoMike

Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond to my message. I do not know how to message you directly but my email is in my bio, I'd love to chat with you a bit more if you have the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: