Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:26 AM

194 posts, read 565,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
I'd love beachfront property in Hawaii.
Something tells me you can give up on that dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 06:49 PM

252 posts, read 659,936 times
Hello,

We currently live in Harrison Id. I would be happy to answer any question you may have about the area etc. We have lived here for 15 years now and know the area quite well.

Ask away!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
Hello,

We currently live in Harrison Id. I would be happy to answer any question you may have about the area etc. We have lived here for 15 years now and know the area quite well.

Ask away!
Well....what can you tell us about the town? How would a married Italian and Swede get along in that town?

Old 07-02-2009, 03:20 PM

252 posts, read 659,936 times
Smile Harrison town

Well the town is very small population of about 286 somewhere in there.

As far as businesses it really is basically set up for tourist: There is one small convience store (hrs. 9:00AM - 6:00 PM), a tiny library, 3 bars/restaurants (these mainly close up during the Winter but atleast one trys to stay open all Winter so the locals have somewhere to go. There is a post office, a small city Hall. A firestation, and a few novelty- tourist type gift shops, a motel, a few Bed and breakfastes, a real nice city park and the town sits right along the shores of Lake Coeur d' alene. There is no gas station the closes gas is Carlin Bay resort which is abotu 9 miles from Harrison. In the summer time the population goes to well over 1,000 on the weekends, and alot more people walking around etc during the week.

The closest town to get major groceries is St. Maries (Pronounced Saint Marys) about 20 miles from Harrison and in that town there is a few banks, a couple mid size grocery stores, a few restaurants, gas stations etc. Pop. I believe is around 1,800.

The next closest town to do any large shopping or for major supplies is Coeur d' alene which is about 45 miles from Harrison. Which has any type businesses for about anything you would want, home depot, Lowes, Costco, Malls, Fancy resort, Restaurants, etc. The downside of that is the fastest route to get there is the scenic hwy 3 (beautiful drive) but VERY windy lots of curves as it follows around lake Coeur d' Alene. In fact I counted the curves one day and it was 178 curves in 29 miles till you hit the freeway. Give or take a couple curves here and there. There is another straigher route to go its 10 miles longer but has hardly any curves.

The area is very beautiful and the locals are friendly if you are friendly and don't have a chip on your shoulder. You will not have a problem being accepted and actually the Winter time is the most fun to hang out when all the tourist are gone and we can enjoy our little slice of heaven. Don't get me wrong Summer are fine also - just a bit more crowded. The locals range very from very rich to very poor and we all live together without any problem. Not sure if you have any children but Kootenai school system has been noted the best in the state of Idaho for a few years. The school is probally about 9 miles from Harrison town.

Weather: K well summers are to die for they are wonderful - average temps about mid 70's to low 90's but the humity barely goes about 40%. Not much rain during the summer so there is lot of sun shine.
Winter there might be a couple days where is goes below zero otherwise the average temps in Winter is upper 20- low 40's - with that being said the chance of lots of snow is real good. Last Winter we got pounded with snow more then I have ever seen, and then again I have seem some Winters where there may only be a couple inches on the ground for about 4 weeks. When it snows it is so pretty as all the Pines stay flocked with snow most of the Winter the area looks like a pretty Christmas card or a scene from a Grizzly Adams movie.

Real Esate: Well since the houseing crash the prices have came down some. It has not effected out here as bad as other parts of the US. A house with lake view (a simple older house 1,000 sq ft.nothing exotic) may run about $185,000 where as last year the same house would go well over $250,000 easily. Now if your not expecting lake view then I would say same type house possibly you could get for $140,00 maybe. I really haven't kept up to much on the area realestate. Lakefront empty lots like maybe 50 feet of footage may run into the $190,000-$300,00 plus range if you can find any left or for sale or even it it would be a buildable lot.

Jobs: Very far and inbetween - atleast in Harrison. Maybe in St. Maries but I am sure there would be some in Coeur d' alene or even Spokane, WA which is about 70 miles from Harrison. One tip is if your out here respect the roads and the mountains drive with caution. I remember when we first moved out here It was very scary to drive anywhere and I used to drive real slow. Well now that I am used to the layout and roads etc.. its no problem to drive the speed limit. Which on Hwy 3 the curvy road I think the fastest speed limit on that road is a very small section of 45 mostly the road is 15-30 mph. Don't drive to fast we have seen many go off the road and down the mountain or into the lake. Not good.. best is to drive reasonable and if you feel you are going to slow there are cut outs along side the road to pull off on to let other cars pass you. Believe me it is very appreciated when car pulls off just like it is very rude to ride someones but in the car ahead of you.. as there is lots of deer on the road and even some elk on occassion, or wild turkeys, you might even see a mountain lion or bear and on a rare occassion a moose. So drive carefully. Many do drive to work in Coeur d' Alene and Spokane from here all Winter and Summer. You do get used to the driving conditions after a while and then it seems like no biggy.

I have been to many areas and North Idaho is one of the nicest I have seen. I guess at one time Coeur d' Alene lake was listed in the 10 top most beautiful places in the world by National Geographic.

Itallian and Swede no problem there is a little bit of every kind of mix here - so no worries there. If your friendly then you will be accepted if you have an attitude well then you may not like living here as most with attitudes tend to move away shorly.

Anything else maybe more specific you would like to know?

P.S Speaking of Hawaii and beachfront property - while we didn't get that we are in the process of purchasing a winter retreat "small house" in Hawaii - the Big Isle, although not beachfront still will be our Winter retreat for a few months out of every year.

Last edited by 1freespirit; 07-02-2009 at 04:25 PM..

Old 07-05-2009, 12:41 AM

1freespirit- I appreciate your candor and info. We were going to pay a short visit to the area while up in NE washington looking at land. We were then going to Montana to loook at land but figured we would stop in Idaho and do the same. Can't hurt!

We were also going to look at the Sandpoint area and Bonners Ferry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho