Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 09:36 AM

227 posts, read 383,618 times

Advertisements

While NID certainly does not have much diversity (nothing wrong with that!) I would contend that racism is quite a bit below average when compared to the nation. With diversity comes racial tension and racism brews among all races (yes, that's right, non-whites being racist too). I have lived in two major metropolitan areas most of my life, one being Houston, TX and the other being Denver, CO. While Houston had the most diversity by far, it was also much more racist. I would even go as far as to say that Blacks were much more racist than whites and Hispanics. The gangsta-rap, post slavery oppressed, entitlement mentality (thanks Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton) are to blame for much of that I think.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:50 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,922,216 times
Omaha, Nebraska: The Most Dangerous Place In America To Be Black

http://newobserveronline.com/liberal...n-to-be-black/

Any comments or thoughts to share OP?

Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,621,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagle Sam View Post
While NID certainly does not have much diversity (nothing wrong with that!) I would contend that racism is quite a bit below average when compared to the nation. With diversity comes racial tension and racism brews among all races (yes, that's right, non-whites being racist too). I have lived in two major metropolitan areas most of my life, one being Houston, TX and the other being Denver, CO. While Houston had the most diversity by far, it was also much more racist. I would even go as far as to say that Blacks were much more racist than whites and Hispanics. The gangsta-rap, post slavery oppressed, entitlement mentality (thanks Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton) are to blame for much of that I think.
Can you give examples of blacks being racist in Houston? I've lived there all my life and haven't heard of this. In what areas are you talking about? I do agree with Houston/metro Houston having the most diversity.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:17 AM

227 posts, read 383,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Can you give examples of blacks being racist in Houston? I've lived there all my life and haven't heard of this. In what areas are you talking about? I do agree with Houston/metro Houston having the most diversity.
Primarily the wards but really any of the black hoods and Sheila Jackson Lee's district (probably one in the same). I even knew a couple of racist blacks, racist against blacks, hah! Probably the same for all urban jungle cities these days.

I lived there from 1982 until 2011 so I have quite a history there as well. I lived both in the 'burbs and inside the loop and have been to many parts all over there.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:06 PM

6,268 posts, read 5,090,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I don't think I said your post was "full of it." I simply provided another perspective from someone whose eyes are open and has spent a fair amount of time interacting with people in north Idaho.

Fair enough?
Well, I DID say that you're full of it.

You said that you have never visited Idaho when you have NOT seen white separatists. You said that. Every single time that you have visited Idaho you have seen white separatists.

And then you wrote this:
I know I would never even consider moving into a place where I knew those like me were considered to be unwelcome. People who do that jeopardize their own safety and that of anyone who accompanies them. Their homes and cars are frequently subjected to arson and vandalism. And they, themselves, are frequently the targets of violence and / or murder. They get bullied and harassed in their jobs, too. Their lives are filled with misery, tension and regret. Who needs that?

You didn't say that there are white separatists. You said that every single time that you have visited Idaho that you see them. When do you see them? From a distance? At rallys? Did you read their resumes?

Look.........there are bad people everywhere. Everywhere in this country there are bad people. But we are lucky enough in Idaho to have far fewer than many other places that people could choose to call home.

It's a free country (at least for another while ) and you are entitled to your opinion. And you're entitled to report (accurately) what you have seen first hand. But to imply that all black people (or any other minority in fact) are not welcome in the ENTIRE STATE OF IDAHO - and then to insinuate that if they move here that their safety will be compromised, their homes and vehicles would be the subject of arson or vandalism, that they would be targeted for "violence and/or murder", that they would professionally be bullied and harassed, and that moving here would bring them lives filled with "misery, tension and regret" is misleading diatribe.

Then you asked "who needs that?"

Answer: Nobody needs that. People have the right to quietly live their lives in peace in the community and state of their choice. Everybody should have that right. I believe that. And so do the vast majority of people who live in this state. No rose colored glasses. Just the truth.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:36 PM

186 posts, read 240,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I don't think I said your post was "full of it." I simply provided another perspective from someone whose eyes are open and has spent a fair amount of time interacting with people in north Idaho.

Fair enough?

No, Cnynrat, you didn't say that; juneaubound did. I was addressing both of your posts.

I have no problem with you sharing your perspective. Nor, will I be saying your post is full of it, just because I wasn't there to experience the things that shaped your perspective.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I'm not the OP, but I do have something to submit for your consideration.

The same set of circumstances manifest themselves in every city that has a significant percentage of blacks in its overall population, when it comes to murder and other violent crime.

Feel free to multiply Boise's overall (overwhelmingly white) population total to equal that of Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City (Mo.), Los Angeles, Saint Louis or wherever - and then compare the percentages of the homicides their populations experience to that of Boise's (or Seattle's, for that matter).

Feel free to dig even deeper. I did, and what I found was that a group comprising about 12% of our overall national population is committing an amount of crime that is wildly disproportionate to their relatively small percentage of the whole.

Am I saying that all blacks are bad? No, of course not! But, I do think they (as a group) have some very serious issues of culturally ingrained conduct that tend to ostracize them from the rest. I also think they'll be challenged in gaining acceptance, until such time as these issues are resolved to the satisfaction of the rest of the population.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Well, I DID say that you're full of it.

You said that you have never visited Idaho when you have NOT seen white separatists. You said that. Every single time that you have visited Idaho you have seen white separatists.

And then you wrote this:
I know I would never even consider moving into a place where I knew those like me were considered to be unwelcome. People who do that jeopardize their own safety and that of anyone who accompanies them. Their homes and cars are frequently subjected to arson and vandalism. And they, themselves, are frequently the targets of violence and / or murder. They get bullied and harassed in their jobs, too. Their lives are filled with misery, tension and regret. Who needs that?

You didn't say that there are white separatists. You said that every single time that you have visited Idaho that you see them. When do you see them? From a distance? At rallys? Did you read their resumes?

Look.........there are bad people everywhere. Everywhere in this country there are bad people. But we are lucky enough in Idaho to have far fewer than many other places that people could choose to call home.

It's a free country (at least for another while ) and you are entitled to your opinion. And you're entitled to report (accurately) what you have seen first hand. But to imply that all black people (or any other minority in fact) are not welcome in the ENTIRE STATE OF IDAHO - and then to insinuate that if they move here that their safety will be compromised, their homes and vehicles would be the subject of arson or vandalism, that they would be targeted for "violence and/or murder", that they would professionally be bullied and harassed, and that moving here would bring them lives filled with "misery, tension and regret" is misleading diatribe.

Then you asked "who needs that?"

Answer: Nobody needs that. People have the right to quietly live their lives in peace in the community and state of their choice. Everybody should have that right. I believe that. And so do the vast majority of people who live in this state. No rose colored glasses. Just the truth.
You failed to mention the part of my post where I said that we ALL have places where we're not welcome. I did use myself as an example, when I said I would never even consider moving into a place where my kind were not welcome. And, I said it because members of ALL groups have experienced these kinds of problems. If you think my diatribe is misleading, feel free to consult with those whom have been victimized in such situations - and ask them whether they wish somebody had taken the time to warn them, while you're at it.

And, whether you like it or not, I have encountered white separatists during each visit - and there were no "rallies" taking place that I was aware of. I encountered them at the Silver Lake Mall, Applebee's, Safeway and a couple of convenience stores, in CDA. In some cases I identified them as such by the blatant display of Nazi or Klan paraphernalia they were wearing or the tattoos they were sporting. In other cases, it was from being close enough to overhear their conversation (it sure wasn't their expensive, tailor-made business suits that gave them away!). I also saw some in Boise, at the Hooters restaurant (before they closed) near the Boise Towne Square Mall - where I saw a few more. Thanks for asking...

As far as I'm concerned, the things you've written in this topic would be comparable to telling a white person something similar about moving to Chicago or Detroit. Pick any neighborhood you want. They'll all welcome you with open arms.

I love you... you love me... we're one hap-py fam-il-eee...

Last edited by pnw2016; 10-14-2014 at 08:05 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 01:57 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,861,200 times
Folks,

Instead of further back and forth, let's look at it another way.

In any control group you have the 90% on the bell curve and the 5% on each end. I'm going to assume that pnw2016 is the 1% on the FAR end of the bell curve opposite my own experience here in NID.

Let's leave it at that...move on.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:44 PM

183 posts, read 279,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Folks,

Instead of further back and forth, let's look at it another way.

In any control group you have the 90% on the bell curve and the 5% on each end. I'm going to assume that pnw2016 is the 1% on the FAR end of the bell curve opposite my own experience here in NID.

Let's leave it at that...move on.

Sage is correct. We all have opinions, beliefs and attitudes which are formed in various ways. Some of us base these on what we have heard, seen or experienced. Others have lived the very things we are discussing in this thread. The key is to LISTEN and LEARN.

I for one try to absorb and process as much from these threads as I am able. Not only does it help me make sound decisions about relocating to an area, but I can get a fairly accurate "feel" for other people and the lives they are living, or trying to.

As for the occasional negativity/attacks etc., hey we're all just folks trying to live a decent life. If I feel offended, I'll get over it. If I have offended, then I didn't mean too. Either way, thanks to all who have helped me over the years with your posts/perspectives. I look forward to my continued participation here on the Idaho forum.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho