Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:12 PM

227 posts, read 384,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennygirl View Post
Hi, I was reluctant to sign in post to this discussion as in the past city-data forums have had some insensitive and unwelcoming, "rude" posters. I don't mean to step on any toes so please don't jump to any mistaken conclusions. I've lived here since xmas last year and I may have a couple ideas to throw out.

Before my husband and I moved we did our research but as he was antsy to finally pave a home we settled on C d A, but we mainly we went by the beauty of the lake, downtown, the Riverstone area. But we didn't move into those more upgraded areas. He had a realtor and thought hard for a few days after viewing no more than 4 properties. I'm very grateful I am self employed, and mainly out of the home. I used to walk the dog. But at least we have a garden and some quiet here and there and our pets.

Basically, if one is thinking of moving here whether female or not be sure to get info on all the areas you might consider. I am not far from Lowe's and Appleway. I can't even walk with my husband without being harrassed. One time I was walking my dog next to Lowe's and I caught a man in the driver's seat of his old car attempting to take my picture. I mind my own business AND I'm not the gorgeous model type. We get cussed at, dogs are collarless and in the street. And of course this can and does happen "anywhere"... but it is NOISY. Stressful and noisy.

Aside, I hope I can move at some point and we may as the commute into Spokanne is very bad, can be for my spouse. Weather in winter is not as heavy as East coast nor rains as much as coastal on the North Pacific. Its arid out here, dry and some people may have allergies uncomfortable accordingly. And again, there's traffic virtually everywhere, someplaces worse but Northwest byway is congested, and of course the Interstate. And the drivers here...I'm too weak stomached to chance it sometimes.

The people generally are friendly and kind...But in some places I really have my guard up. I have to. As my hubby says its "a goofy area", but honestly I've experienced that that can be said about this whole extended area, even thru Post Falls and into Spokanne Vly. I've never lived in nor been in a place like this, and I did not experience it yet when we prelim. visited in Oct. 2013. Maybe alot of city dwellers are not aware of the countryside options not too far from here at all. I really liked the rural areas heading out towards Montana further out from Sandpoint. Its 'crazy' out there too with main traffic but its like VA and rural MD, which I really want to transition to. For working folks tho it may not be an option depending on where they commute. But if one thinks on CdA visit it first. I also think the area going east of Hayden or abouts is more charming than Northwest/Winco or north of there. One good addition out here is the Cent. Trail. Safety is always in my awareness but its a quiet trek for a jog preferrable to a chaotic jaunt on the main sidewalks.
My first question would be where did you move to Coeur d'Alene from? I also can't really imagine situation like you are describing but then again I have not spent much time in the inner city part of cour d'Alene. I suppose if it is too much to take then maybe Spokane would be a better place for you although I would expect ten times more of what you describe there personally. Maybe the more people that think bad about North Idaho the less people will move here. Might not be such a bad thing really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 09:28 AM

1,938 posts, read 2,176,938 times
I agree that where PennyGirl moved to is just about the worst neighborhood in C'da. They made what I consider to be relocation mistake #1 - buying a house upon moving to a new town. The lower the budget, the more critical it is to rent, watch and learn to figure out where you want to live. If you need to buy immediately, who you choose for a realtor is vitally important. Most everything you believe and learn about a place when you first see it is going to come from this person.

PennyGirl's experience would be completely different if she lived elsewhere. Perhaps they can make their current property a rental and move to another neighborhood.

Many people commute to Spokane from all over the area. It's not bad at all, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho