Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 15,731 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am brand new to this forum, glad to be here!

My wife and I are considering retirement in Idaho. We are flying out to Coeur d' Alene in a couple weeks for three days. This will be our first visit out there. I need advice regarding the best way to use our time when we are there. In addition to skiing one day, what other things/activities are there to do in the area? I certainly want to keep my wife entertained, along with checking out the real estate in the area. It's very important that she has a positive experience this first time out.

We are coming out over Valentine's day weekend.

My thoughts are:
Skiing one day
Maybe one of those snowmobile events, but it's about $175 per person
Driving around to see different areas like Sandpoint, etc.
Possibly meeting a real estate agent for a day, do you know a good one?
Maybe a tour of some type

Thanks in advance for your input!

Urwethe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 10:56 AM

820 posts, read 1,739,471 times
Welcome to the forums! You have a good plan mapped out. A boat ride around the lake is about 40 dollars and is quite nice, especially with the weather we have had. If you want, I can mail you one of my relocation packets I send to the members here and that could help point out some more idea's for you. Pm me your address and I can get it out tomorrow!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:05 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times
I think I read they are having a Chocolate Walk in CdA...celebrating Valentine's day. I won't be there for that but it sure sounds like something I would love to do! Yummmmmm

Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the quick replies, Chocolate Walk sounds awesome!!!

Old 01-18-2010, 02:28 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
We're having a very low snow year with pretty cruddy spring conditions. I most certainly wouldn't use this year's ski conditions as an "average". There isn't an "average" snow year in NID. But certainly this year is WAY on the warm-and-rainy end of the weather spectrum.

If you come to Sandpoint, take a walk down First Avenue shopping. Stop in at the Coldwater Creek Wine Bar for some amazing Graham's 20-year-old Tawny Port and truffles, take her to Mick Duff's (Irish Microbrewery) for their signature beer cheese soup, or stop at Ivanos or Arlos for some great Italian food or Spuds for the best baked potato you'll ever eat in your life. Wear a warm jacket and take a walk around city beach park, watch the trains come across the bridge, etc. Take a drive up to Schweitzer (8 miles outside of town, easy road) and walk around the village. If you're looking for a place to stay, check out the Best Western Edgewater Resort at City Beach. Rooms right on the beach. In summer it's awesome, but even in winter it's a very pretty place to stay on the lake.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:55 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Here is a link to the current snow report for Schweitzer Mountain Ski Resort. Might be less snow than normal but it looks like fun right now. There may be some icy spots where the sun hits. If you call the ski area just before you go up to it you may get a more detailed description of the snow than is posted on the website. The place could get dumped on from now until you get there and the skiing could be really good.

Snow Report - Schweitzer

Old 01-18-2010, 02:57 PM

Sage,
Thanks so much for this info!

Old 01-19-2010, 05:32 AM

Hi rickers,

Thanks for the info and the link!!

Urwethe

Old 01-19-2010, 09:50 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
If you come to Sandpoint, take a walk down First Avenue shopping. Stop in at the Coldwater Creek Wine Bar for some amazing Graham's 20-year-old Tawny Port and truffles, take her to Mick Duff's (Irish Microbrewery) for their signature beer cheese soup, or stop at Ivanos or Arlos for some great Italian food or Spuds for the best baked potato you'll ever eat in your life. Wear a warm jacket and take a walk around city beach park, watch the trains come across the bridge, etc. Take a drive up to Schweitzer (8 miles outside of town, easy road) and walk around the village. If you're looking for a place to stay, check out the Best Western Edgewater Resort at City Beach. Rooms right on the beach. In summer it's awesome, but even in winter it's a very pretty place to stay on the lake.
I agree 100 %! That's the best 1-paragraph tour of Sandpoint I've ever read!

Old 01-19-2010, 03:41 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
We're having a very low snow year with pretty cruddy spring conditions. I most certainly wouldn't use this year's ski conditions as an "average". There isn't an "average" snow year in NID. But certainly this year is WAY on the warm-and-rainy end of the weather spectrum.

Gotta comment on this...when in Ireland a couple of years ago I fell in love with Guinness/cheese soup (with a bacon bap on the side)! The stuff is addictive! If it's anywhere near the same at Mick Duff's I shall have to visit Sandpoint regularly! Although that meal will clog your arteries as you eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho