Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 PM

154 posts, read 310,037 times

Advertisements

Hi My family and I are thinking about moving to ID and we're looking at different areas. We consider ourselves libertarian and have heard there are a lot of libertarians in the state. Would you say that libertarians are spread out all over the state or are there areas that are more libertarian than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 02:43 PM

332 posts, read 483,270 times
Definitions of political views vary by region. What is considered liberal here in Texas is moderate in NY. I would suggest you elaborate on what your family values are, what you consider important, what your hobbies are, etc. I would say people in Idaho tend to be more self sufficient, regardless of their political views.

Having said all that, I intend to move to Idaho soon, and I consider myself a libertarian Texan. There are some issues I am more liberal about, others I am staunchly conservative. On our recent trip to North Idaho we fit right in with the locals.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is View Post
Definitions of political views vary by region. What is considered liberal here in Texas is moderate in NY. I would suggest you elaborate on what your family values are, what you consider important, what your hobbies are, etc. I would say people in Idaho tend to be more self sufficient, regardless of their political views.

Having said all that, I intend to move to Idaho soon, and I consider myself a libertarian Texan. There are some issues I am more liberal about, others I am staunchly conservative. On our recent trip to North Idaho we fit right in with the locals.
Glad you're trip went well! what part of northern Idaho did you go to?

Our values are that we own ourselves and don't feel the need to be controlled or control others. We're home schooling our son because we don't want him going to government run propaganda camps We love guns, we have some conservative views but we'd never wanna force that on others. We're staunch capitalists and we own the fruit of our labor... taxation is theft. All that good stuff

Old 05-31-2013, 03:55 PM

26 posts, read 39,240 times
Well, Owyhee County, just to the west of Twin Falls has a pretty low assessed average property tax. Or Adams county, north of Boise. I suspect you'd be happy anywhere in Idaho, really though.

A family still needs a job and basic services so you'll do well most anywhere.

Ada county which is Boise basically is one of the higher tax rates, at 15 something per 1000.

I didn't check county by county on sales tax. State sales tax is 6 percent though.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:20 PM

181 posts, read 435,792 times
Anywhere outside of Boise is pretty good, I'd suggest north Idaho like Coeur D Alene, SandPoint etc.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:38 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,365,147 times
The People's Republic of The Northend in Boise.

Really, libertarians are all over the state.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
The People's Republic of The Northend in Boise.

Really, libertarians are all over the state.
haha why do you call it the Peoples Republic. That's what I've called Cali and NY. Is that area like that? I wouldn't want that

I figured they'd be spread around but was curious if there was a concentration anywhere. Thanks for the info

Old 05-31-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleeNY View Post
haha why do you call it the Peoples Republic. That's what I've called Cali and NY. Is that area like that? I wouldn't want that

I figured they'd be spread around but was curious if there was a concentration anywhere. Thanks for the info
Just being funny. The Northend is an residential historic district by downtown and is a healthy mix of libs - both liberals and libertarians with a few conservatives thrown in for good measure.

I'm a native of the state and from I've been able to determine is that one of the most libertarian areas of the state is the Boise Metro although libertarians can be found all over the state.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:23 PM

332 posts, read 483,270 times
Quote:

Our values are that we own ourselves and don't feel the need to be controlled or control others. We're home schooling our son because we don't want him going to government run propaganda camps We love guns, we have some conservative views but we'd never wanna force that on others. We're staunch capitalists and we own the fruit of our labor... taxation is theft. All that good stuff
Oh, then you'll fit in just fine.

We're pretty much in line with what you posted about your views, and my impression from my visit to Idaho was they hold similar values.

We visited Bonner's Ferry, Sandpoint, Clark Fork, and Coeur d'Alene. Each one was unique. Our favorite was Bonner's.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:

Homeschooling is big in the more rural areas of the Boise Metro. New Plymouth, Emmett, Payette, etc come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho