Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 11:26 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,024,541 times

Advertisements

unclebigs
Cosmic, that's a rather defeatist approach to growth. A town can become what it's residents desire. If you would ask CDA residents 20 years ago if they wanted what has happened to their town, I would guess 90% would not.
Call it whatever you want to. Your viewpoint is as valid as anyone elses. For the sake of clarity.... I do not experience the slightest sense of defeat in my mind or in my life.

Having visited both Aspen and Jackson Hole I'm glad to the nth degree that CDA has not become like either or both of those places.

However, I do agreee with your statement in regard to the power brokers selling out.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:44 AM

64 posts, read 261,853 times
So Cosmic, you enjoy the crowds at City Beach? You think the Rathdrum/Post Falls sprawl is preferred to Jackson's limited growth? You like the strip malls full of check cashing stores? You like the sirens, horns, traffic and rap music blaring out of the downtown bars? CDA feels like Riverside, CA to me.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:22 PM

uncle.....Personally, I don't enjoy any of the things you mention ( in CDA or elsewhere ), but I don't let those things bring me down either. Maintaining a peaceful state of mind is a higher priority to me than getting upset about things I don't like. Instead of comparing CDA to Riverside, learn to accept it for what it is and make the most of it...or move to another place that better meets your preferences. Complaining about the way things are doesn't change anything for the better. Mostly it just generates a feeling of powerlessness in the one who does the complaining.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:56 PM

64 posts, read 261,853 times
Cosmic, change begins with a dissatisfaction with the status quo. You prefer to bury your feelings and paint a facade of peace. That's a false sense of peace my friend. Doing something to shape your future is empowerment.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:00 PM

464 posts, read 1,113,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebigs View Post
Cosmic, that's a rather defeatist approach to growth. A town can become what it's residents desire. If you would ask CDA residents 20 years ago if they wanted what has happened to their town, I would guess 90% would not.

The problem with out of control growth is that it benefits a select few. The land owners who carved up 240 acres into 1/4 acre lots made off like bandits and have left the area with their loot. The politicians and their cronies have also done quite well as the tax base has skyrocketed. Most everyone else is left to deal with the fallout of more crowds, more traffic, a diluted culture, check cashing stores in every strip mall, etc.

It's a shame CDA didn't think about what it wanted to become. The power brokers sold it out for profit and skipped town.

CDA could have become Aspen or Jackson Hole. It's sad to see what it is today and even sadder that most here don't see it as a problem.
You are wrong. Localities have little control to stem development. Profits are what drive growth. There cannot be profits for corporations without endless growth.

Just look at the bailouts. They occurred so corporations and banks wouldn't have to eat massive losses. They returned to profits within months, rather than years.

Eventually it will all come to end. A society predicated upon the concept of perpetual growth and expansion will inevitably collapse upon itself. What makes America different from any great empire throughout history?

You can dislike the changes to Idaho, but Idaho isn't unique. The entire country has changed into exactly what has happened to Idaho. It is not California's or Californian's doing. To claim such only highlights one's ignorance of the economics of this country.

We here in California have reached the apex of this driving force. From this point forward, the state will begin the slow, painful collapse upon itself. Several states will face a similar fate, until ultimately, the entire nation will go down in flames. Do I think it will happen immediately? No. I give California a couple more years and I give our nation about two more decades.

The smart people are trying to make sure they reside in places that won't be as affected by angry rioting nanny-state citizens.

Then agian, I'm just a cynical guy trying to get his family out of this hell hole called California and into the much nicer state of Idaho.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:02 PM

I agree with you that SOME change comes thru dis-satisfaction, but some change is rooted elsewhere. For example, I have personally made many changes in my life that were fueled by curiousity rather than dis-satisfaction. I would venture a guess that you too have also made curiosity driven changes in your life.

I experience a smorgasboard of feelings like everone else. Most of my feelings are out in the open and I'm very much aware of them, and I probably have some buried feelings too, but dis-satisfaction is certainly not one of them. When I recognize a feeling of dis-satisfaction I search for the underlying thought that causes my dis-satisfaction. I then formulate a thought that generates a better feeling. I quickly change my focus and spend as little time as possible in a state of dis-satisfaction. I use dis-satisfactionas a clue that I'm caught up in some stinkin thinkin as one author puts it. IMO, life is waaaaay too short to hang out with dis-satisfaction once I've become aware of it. Being satisfied or dis-satisfied is a choice that each one of us is faced with. Nobody forces you to keep focusing on the things that you are dis-satisfied with. You are freely making that choice, just like I am freely choosing to spend most of my time feeling good, feeling happy. Nobody is making either one of us think the thoughts we think. IMO, the issue is not about burying feelings. It's more about becomming aware of them, and using them advantageously, and not getting bogged down in the dis-empoweiring ones. It's about making empowering choices.

I'm in total agreement with your statement that Doing something to shape your future is empowerment. Based on the tone of your posts, apparently you fail to see that the thoughts you focus upon most of the time are the root cause of what determines the actions you take to shape your future. Thinking predominantly happy thoughts tends to bring forth a happy future, while predominantly thinking thoughts of dis-satisfaction tends to bring forth MORE dis-satisfaction in the future. If you are personally OK with allowing dis-satisfaction to root itself in your mind, that is your choice. By all means go for it. It's your life, but it is not the kind of life I have chosen to live. To each his own.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 04-26-2010 at 02:15 PM..

Old 04-26-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Cosmic, change begins with a dissatisfaction with the status quo. You prefer to bury your feelings and paint a facade of peace. That's a false sense of peace my friend. Doing something to shape your future is empowerment.
The problem is, you are revolting against the wrong thing. Though I don't expect you to change your conditioning any time soon. Keep on blamin' Californians for everything. lol

Old 04-26-2010, 02:34 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,856,107 times
Guys, unless we have further info directly related to Coeur d'Alene, let's let this thread die a natural death...I don't think anyone is altering their views on the subject...

Old 04-26-2010, 03:03 PM

445 posts, read 1,330,896 times
Sage, I'd like to share something before these threads suffer a natural or unnatural demise.

Steve Jobs, co-founder and CEO of Apple Computers, said something some time ago that makes sense to me. It might be an important quote for those seeking a way out of California. Jobs said:

Quote:
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
You see....just like everyone else, Mr. Jobs had an opinion!

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 04-26-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not blaming the Californicators on CDA's demise. They are more the symptom than the problem. You don't see them flocking to Aspen and Jackson Hole. People like kstorts who are moving from California into a rental to open up a Tattoo shop find CDA attractive because they are with their own ilk of people and can afford it. It just shows the degree of degradation that has occurred in CDA.
I get the last word. I fornicated with my wife here in California for six years before getting married. Of course, if had money, we'd have been married the entire time.

My ilk is people who are intelligent, thoughtful, and mindful of the world around them. Suffice to say, I don't have many friends out here in California. However, it is safe to assume I might have quite a few more in Idaho once I get there.

This thread can now breathe its last breath!

Maybe I'll move to Moscow and open up a Tatoo Shop. Sounds like there might be a need out there that I could fill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho