Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:46 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,327,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
1. We don't have a national language.

2. I don't know why you want government to force people to talk a language (yes, I know, you will allow them to talk whatever other language they want. Very gracious).

3. The free market will dictate what language people speak. If they lose enough business or job offers, they will learn the language to remedy that - more than likely English. Otherwise, none of our business.

4. I think discussing someone's ability to use a language she/he insists other people use is very much on topic.

5. It's not really your place to dictate what "American culture is". I couod look in 400 directions to get that answer, and they'd all be right.
1. Yes, we do have a national language and it is English. Congress declared it a couple of years ago. It isn't however our "official" language.

2. The government has no intention of forcing anyone to speak English just because they might make English our "official" language so your point is moot.

3. Neither, business nor government can force anyone to speak a particular language so I haven't a clue what you mean. Some businesses however are discriminating against native English speakers and requiring Spanish to pander to illegal aliens. That's a fact.

4. What?

5. I haven't dictated what American culture is. It is what it is all by itself. Perhaps you are confusing our identifying and dominant culture with some minority cultures in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 05:16 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,873,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Most things in Asian parts of town are English-translated anyways cuz not all Asians speak each other's tongue yet they all utilize each other's services. I've never been to a supermarket, restaurant, or Jack in the crack where los empleados no habla ingles. What part of town is this? Maybe I will go check it out.

If you want to be flexible in today's world it's best to be bilingual or trilingual. Look at Switzerland with 3 official languages. In Belgium you can't get a good job without knowing at least 2. India has over 18 languages many of which are accepted by the govt as official languages. I've absorbed rudimentary Spanish just from interacting with people though it is not one of the languages I have learned. But I certainly don't feel threatened by it.
Try Maywood,BELL,Huntington Park,Rampart district,most Asians I know don't speak each others language,my Aunt could read and write,speak in Korean,Japanese and English.Asian languages are completely unrelated to English utilizing a different alphabet If Asians can learn English rather quickly why is it so dificult for some Spanish speakers.Spanish is a European language that is more closely related to English than Chinese,Arabic or Farsi?It also shares common words and the same alphabet.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:13 PM

364 posts, read 244,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Try Maywood,BELL,Huntington Park,Rampart district,most Asians I know don't speak each others language,my Aunt could read and write,speak in Korean,Japanese and English.Asian languages are completely unrelated to English utilizing a different alphabet If Asians can learn English rather quickly why is it so dificult for some Spanish speakers.Spanish is a European language that is more closely related to English than Chinese,Arabic or Farsi?It also shares common words and the same alphabet.
that gets my goat as well
many asian kids speke beter english than me
an tha asian kids i am talkin bout
were born in viet japan china india
what is rong with to many hispanic ppl?
many born here in tha usa sound
like they just canme from mexico

Old 06-17-2010, 06:15 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,006,951 times
Quote:
Ah yes, I believe one of the reasons you are looking for is the need to communicate in English. If everyone around you speaks Spanish, if you can get your basic goods and services using Spanish, etc., then there really is no need to learn English.

The same phenomenon can be observed in other countries with a different immigrant population. For example, there are areas in large German cities where Turkish residents never learn German - they simply have no incentive to do so because they live in a parallel society that allows living a life using Turkish only.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Ah yes, I believe one of the reasons you are looking for is the need to communicate in English. If everyone around you speaks Spanish, if you can get your basic goods and services using Spanish, etc., then there really is no need to learn English.

The same phenomenon can be observed in other countries with a different immigrant population. For example, there are areas in large German cities where Turkish residents never learn German - they simply have no incentive to do so because they live in a parallel society that allows living a life using Turkish only.
Except in the case of Spanish speakers in this country not learning English they are illegal aliens (people who shouldn't even be here). They are colonizing rather than assimilating. Most Hispanic Americans know how to speak English.

This phenomenum is directly due to illegal immigration from the south in massive numbers.

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-17-2010 at 06:45 PM..

Old 06-17-2010, 07:04 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,838,637 times
National Language- A language spoken in a country or region.

Offical Language- a language that recieves special legal status. An Offical language does not restrict other languages from being used or from even being Official in "Its" own right.

Common Language- A language used through out the Country.

English and Spanish could be classified as all of the above.

Now English-only...is not Official English. English-only wants English to be Offical and the ONLY language used in the USA. But as what is usually the case, America has decided to include instead of exclude.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:07 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,509,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
This phenomenum is directly due to illegal immigration from the south in massive numbers.
Florida and Puerto Rico disagree!

Old 06-17-2010, 07:24 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,838,637 times
Quote:
Its ridiculous to speak of the Hispanic community as a monolithic group moving and learning at the same time.

That would be like saying what good is the "War on Poverty" ...If we are always going to have poor folk.

The first generation always has it more difficult to learn the ways of a new country...total assmilulation may not come till the 2nd or 3rd generation.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
National Language- A language spoken in a country or region.

Offical Language- a language that recieves special legal status. An Offical language does not restrict other languages from being used or from even being Official in "Its" own right.

Common Language- A language used through out the Country.

English and Spanish could be classified as all of the above.

Now English-only...is not Official English. English-only wants English to be Offical and the ONLY language used in the USA. But as what is usually the case, America has decided to include instead of exclude.
There is no English ONLY move. There is only an English as our OFFICIAL langauge movement and it would not restrict anyone from speaking another langauge. English is a part of our "identifying" heritage and culture. Spanish is not.

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-17-2010 at 07:51 PM..

Old 06-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Its ridiculous to speak of the Hispanic community as a monolithic group moving and learning at the same time.

That would be like saying what good is the "War on Poverty" ...If we are always going to have poor folk.

The first generation always has it more difficult to learn the ways of a new country...total assmilulation may not come till the 2nd or 3rd generation.
I really don't care if illegals assimilate or not really. They don't belong in this country in the first place and should be deported according to our laws. By their presence here though the PC world is pandering to them in their language and discriminating against native English speakers especially when it comes to hiring practices. Enough of this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration