Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

We did it once before..amnesty with no border control solution. What makes anyone think it will work again ? We are right back where we were before the first amnesty.

Targeted amnesty ? That won't happen. Blanket amnesty is what will happen. Border control will NOT happen. And the illegals will continue to flow into this country once we give citizenship to the 20 million that are here now.

Now..of those 10-20 million..how many have at least HS education where they can hope to get a decent job ? How many can speak English where they can hope to get a decent job ?
How many do you think will need to enroll in the welfare system, food stamp system, housing subsidy system ?

The general demographics indicate that the adults coming here are below poverty level with an average of a 5th grade education. I wager not many college educated PhD's are crossing the Rio Grande in the middle of the night or middle class families for that matter.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I wonder if they sent this same letter to Bush regarding the Comprehensive Immigration Act of 2006.... all of them were around, I believe.
Bush is off topic, topic is Obama and HIS amnesty stance.. Cant discuss the topic?

Last edited by pghquest; 06-23-2010 at 07:38 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 07:44 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Bush is out of office, topic is Obama and HIS amnesty stance.. Cant discuss the topic?
Oh, I don't know. It seems like the topic is that some Republican senators, one of whom has a habit of creating division by falsely assigning intentions to this administration, decided that they'd heard a "rumor" that Obama was going to use his executive powers to provide amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants. Acting on that "rumor", they wrote a letter.

The reality, of course, is that they wanted to stir the pot. Because the senators aren't stupid. They know that a blanket amnesty of this sort granted unilaterally would be political suicide. They know that Obama knows it would be political suicide. They know that Obama, unlike a certain previous president, is not a fan of unilateral actions. They know that Obama, whatever his stance on amnesty, isn't going to use his executive powers in this way. But they also know that there are so many people who are opposed to the President, who won't bother to think this issue through, who will rally to the senators support. And they are right. On every count.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:49 AM

563 posts, read 519,156 times
Has anyone answered the question as to what has Obama done for the good of this country? Waiting over a year for this answer.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:58 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,704,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Now..of those 10-20 million..how many have at least HS education where they can hope to get a decent job ? How many can speak English where they can hope to get a decent job ?How many do you think will need to enroll in the welfare system, food stamp system, housing subsidy system ?
How many do you suppose even WANT to learn English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Oh, I don't know. It seems like the topic is that some Republican senators, one of whom has a habit of creating division by falsely assigning intentions to this administration, decided that they'd heard a "rumor" that Obama was going to use his executive powers to provide amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants. Acting on that "rumor", they wrote a letter.

The reality, of course, is that they wanted to stir the pot. Because the senators aren't stupid. They know that a blanket amnesty of this sort granted unilaterally would be political suicide. They know that Obama knows it would be political suicide. They know that Obama, unlike a certain previous president, is not a fan of unilateral actions. They know that Obama, whatever his stance on amnesty, isn't going to use his executive powers in this way. But they also know that there are so many people who are opposed to the President, who won't bother to think this issue through, who will rally to the senators support. And they are right. On every count.

Do you have a link for this "Republican senator who has a habit of creating division by falsely assigning intentions to this administration"? I'd like to see the pattern of false assignment of intetions.

However, that aside because I doubt you can prove the assertion, Obama may be too smart to use that tactic. It would be too obvious. He would like to add all these illegals to the voter rolls in one fell swoop, but will look for another way to do it.

BTW, how do you know it's just a "rumor"? How do you know it wasn't leaked via the administration? Also, members of Congress do talk among themselves and reveal information when they think it's important for the public to know something (or conceal it, just as easily, when it's unfavorable to their side). Happens in both parties. We all know that. Just wanted to add that before I'm accused of being partisan.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
How many do you suppose even WANT to learn English?

Do you have a link for this "Republican senator who has a habit of creating division by falsely assigning intentions to this administration"? I'd like to see the pattern of false assignment of intetions.

However, that aside because I doubt you can prove the assertion, Obama may be too smart to use that tactic. It would be too obvious. He would like to add all these illegals to the voter rolls in one fell swoop, but will look for another way to do it.

BTW, how do you know it's just a "rumor"? How do you know it wasn't leaked via the administration? Also, members of Congress do talk among themselves and reveal information when they think it's important for the public to know something (or conceal it, just as easily, when it's unfavorable to their side). Happens in both parties. We all know that. Just wanted to add that before I'm accused of being partisan.
It was leaked via the administration?????

It's political suicide. The administration leaked its intention to commit political suicide to members of Congress?????

To what purpose?

The point is that Obama didn't get elected President by being politically reckless. A Presidential Order granting amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants would be reckless, would be devastating to the Democratic Party because those "new voters" (many of whom would probably be very hesitant to register to vote until they personally felt secure of the amnesty, and that would probably take years because someone who's spent their lives hiding from the law has formed habits of hiding that are hard to lose), wouldn't magically be registered to vote, and they'd probably not be registered sufficiently to counterbalance the mass migration from the Democratic Party that would certainly occur. The senators who sent this letter want you to believe that President Obama is reckless. He may be lots of things, but reckless isn't one of his flaws.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:32 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,704,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
He may be lots of things, but reckless isn't one of his flaws.
You're right. He isn't reckless when it comes to his own survival. He's cunning and shrewd and calculating. He impresses me as someone who will throw anyone under the bus who gets in his way or has outlived their usefulness to him, but reckless if it means his own decline? Never.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:35 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Bush is off topic, topic is Obama and HIS amnesty stance.. Cant discuss the topic?
I was replying to the hysterical tone of the OP, who doesnt seem to understand that this has been an issue for quite a while.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:36 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
He isn't reckless when it comes to his own survival.... reckless if it means his own decline? Never.
I guess that's why he constantly passes the buck and makes short-term crowd-pleasing decisions.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:13 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,873,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I wonder if they sent this same letter to Bush regarding the Comprehensive Immigration Act of 2006.... all of them were around, I believe.
Typical Obama supporter. NEWSFLASH!!! Bush is no longer in office, next time try the Race Card as that is the only 2 things Obama supporters have for His defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.