Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:40 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,753,318 times

Advertisements

Common Myths and Facts Regarding Senate Bill 1070 | Support Arizona

Quote:
June 23, 2010

While Senate Bill (S.B.) 1070, as amended by House Bill (H.B.) 2162, is characterized by many as the toughest anti-illegal immigration law in the nation, many of its opponents have mischaracterized or exaggerated its provisions. This document seeks to correct those mischaracterizations by referring to the express provisions of S.B. 1070 and relevant federal and state case law. All references to S.B. 1070 include the amendments made by H.B. 2162.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 07:56 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,646,933 times
Great post! Thanks for putting it out there. I just wish it was out there for the rest of the country to read.

I was skeptical when the law passed and was worried about profiling. That was thanks to the press who focused on that. I then read the actual law and understood what it was "saying". Now I stand with Arizona.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:34 AM

364 posts, read 496,895 times
This is the same info found on the Governor's website.

Notice #4 doesn't include the language from Gonzalez about civil provisions.

#10 clearly states that it doesn't address the criminal aspects of smuggling and drugs.

Not only does it not address the legal questions of civil provision enforcement, it doesn't mention the real concerns of creating state crimes. This goes beyond enforcing Sec. 1324-1326 or 287(g) of the INA.

So, while it may answer some questions for the uninformed it can not eliminate opposition to real, substantiated problems such as I've pointed out without further changes to bill.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:00 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,655,663 times
This needs to be spread nationwide.

I'm a little surprised at myth #7. Who spun that ridiculously stupid theory?

Old 06-24-2010, 11:32 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,646,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
This needs to be spread nationwide.

I'm a little surprised at myth #7. Who spun that ridiculously stupid theory?
Two guesses and the first one doesn't count.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:46 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,363,364 times
Cool post!
Good luck getting rid of the illegal aliens!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:20 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,838,230 times

4. MYTH: S.B. 1070 is unconstitutional because it intrudes on the federal government's power to enforce immigration laws. Only the federal government has the authority to enforce federal immigration laws.

This myth is correct, but lets review what Arizona is doing with Az SB 1070, Arizona is writting immigration law, there is the difference. Arizona does not have that right. So there are 9 common myths regarding 1070.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:59 PM

50,347 posts, read 47,099,157 times
Just as States have bypassed the Constitution (The second, the right to bear arms and State laws prohibiting it) Az can create laws that duplicate it.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:11 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,753,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
4. MYTH: S.B. 1070 is unconstitutional because it intrudes on the federal government's power to enforce immigration laws. Only the federal government has the authority to enforce federal immigration laws.

This myth is correct, but lets review what Arizona is doing with Az SB 1070, Arizona is writting immigration law, there is the difference. Arizona does not have that right. So there are 9 common myths regarding 1070.
Wrong...wrong....oh so wrong.....

One of President Clinton's best moves, The Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996.

IIRIRA 96 - A SUMMARY OF THE IMMIGRATION BILL

<SNIP>
Quote:
The INS' internal enforcement efforts will also be stepped up as a result of IIRIRA 96. The INS is authorized to hire 300 additional personnel for the next three years to investigate alien smuggling and the unlawful employment of aliens. For the next year, the INS is authorized to hire an additional 300 investigators targeting visa overstayers. The number of INS officials in each state must be at least ten by October of next year. And the Attorney General will be allowed to also enter into agreements with states allowing state officials to carry out investigations, apprehension and detention of aliens. Such state officials are required to be trained in the enforcement of federal laws.
IIRIRA 96 - A SUMMARY OF THE NEW IMMIGRATION BILL - November 1996

This has been in effect for 14 years. Agreements are already in place and do not have to be renewed on an administration to administration basis.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:43 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,838,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Wrong...wrong....oh so wrong.....

One of President Clinton's best moves, The Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996.

IIRIRA 96 - A SUMMARY OF THE IMMIGRATION BILL

<SNIP>

IIRIRA 96 - A SUMMARY OF THE NEW IMMIGRATION BILL - November 1996

This has been in effect for 14 years. Agreements are already in place and do not have to be renewed on an administration to administration basis.
You misunderatand me. Lets review.

no. 4 is a myth because we know that local law enforcement works with the federal government on immigration issues[287(g)]. That I dont even dispute. That is not the concern with 1070. The concern is NOT that the State of Arizona is enforcing immigration law, it is that the State of Arizona is Writing immigration law. That is the issue, not enforcement.

Now, is it legal for Arizona to write it's own immigration law with no input of the Federal govenment?

Is that Myth? or is it fact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration