Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2007, 11:48 PM

543 posts, read 1,228,814 times

Advertisements

If we Americans -white, black, hispanic,whatever could unite as one entity to end this illegal problem, march on our capitols in droves. Do you think it would work? How can we do it? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 12:13 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,265,105 times
would it work? yes, probably. i am a Border Patrol Agent, yet i know that i am not the solution to the immigration problem. it is a political matter. and "all politics depends upon the appathy of the majority"

Old 06-23-2007, 07:39 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,754,674 times
Here is how it's done:

You Don't Speak for Me (http://www.dontspeakforme.org/videos.html - broken link)

Old 06-23-2007, 09:17 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,852,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
would it work? yes, probably. i am a Border Patrol Agent, yet i know that i am not the solution to the immigration problem. it is a political matter. and "all politics depends upon the appathy of the majority"
That is exactly right. I think that is why the Senate is so shocked at the "grassroots effort" on this immigration bill. They weren't expecting us to notice, and they sure weren't expecting us to act!

As for marching on Washington DC. I think it would work. BUT, there are so many organizations against illegals, the big trick is to get them ALL to come together. We need to be able to pull off at least as big of a crowd as the illegals did. Trouble is most of us have jobs. I do, however, have vacation time! So, I'd be there if I could be!

Old 06-24-2007, 01:25 AM

382 posts, read 954,873 times
Default Keep hammering & hounding our representatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
That is exactly right. I think that is why the Senate is so shocked at the "grassroots effort" on this immigration bill. They weren't expecting us to notice, and they sure weren't expecting us to act!

As for marching on Washington DC. I think it would work. BUT, there are so many organizations against illegals, the big trick is to get them ALL to come together. We need to be able to pull off at least as big of a crowd as the illegals did. Trouble is most of us have jobs. I do, however, have vacation time! So, I'd be there if I could be!
Marching is a great idea but yes most of us have jobs and responsibilities that make it out of the question. However, an activist campaign of a constant barrage of emails, phone calls, etc. to the White House, Senate and the House will get and keep their attention on the will of the people. I believe this was a big reason why the Senate bill did not pass. Senators were innundated with calls and emails to an extent that they knew passing the amnesty bill was a mistake and could cost them their jobs. Americans have shown to be fairly apathetic on most issues and the Congress and the President have pushed their own agendas. If the majority of Americans will call or write constantly and threaten to vote them out no matter what, they will not vote for amnesty. We cannot give this President the opportunity to sign an amnesty bill of any type.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:22 AM

398 posts, read 1,410,358 times
of course it will work. In these days, ANYTHING White people say or demand is considered bigotry, racism, arrogance, or "it doesn't care because they are a majority". So if the government and politicians see that also other races and ethnic groups are united for the same cause, the race card gets invalid automatically.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:21 PM

They vote Tuesday! Go to NumbersUSA and send a fax or call your reps.
Here is an e-mail from Roy
From: Roy Beck, President, NumbersUSA Date: Monday 25JUN07 3 p.m. EDT Great job today -- Pour it on rest of aft and Tuesday morning [SIZE=5]DEAR FRIENDS,
[SIZE=4]

If you haven't tried to place a call to your Senators today (or haven't been able to get through), please do so right now. (See lists below for where we see your Senators leaning right now.)

Rosemary Jenks (our NumbersUSA director of government relations) just called me and said her team of lobbyists is reporting that the White House has dispatched officials at the highest level to "buy" votes.

She said Senate staffers are confirming that the Administration is offering various favors of all kinds to Senators who have publicly committed themselves to a NO on cloture but who might be willing to switch votes and to Senators who haven't declared themselves yet.

"We'll have a pretty good idea after the vote tomorrow which Senators sold," Rosemary said.

Senate offices should have no question where their constituents stand -- and that is the opposite of what the White House is buying.

You have already sent more than 50,000 faxes to your Senators today.

(That was after sending 35,491 faxes on Sunday, 34,755 faxes on Saturday and an incredible 109,823 faxes last Friday.)

Your NumbersUSA TV and newspaper on-line ads continue to target Senators in more than a dozen states. Click here to view many of them.

Our date with destiny is Tuesday morning (tomorrow) at 11:30.

That is the schedule for dealing with two unrelated bills, including the cloture vote to allow the S. 1639 Kennedy/Bush Comprehensive Amnesty Bill back on the Senate floor.

Your NumbersUSA team of lobbyists -- and our allied organizations and Senate staffers -- feel that at this time we are 5 votes short of killing this monstrosity of a bill in the first round.

But those last five are proving to be extremely difficult votes to get. Constituency pressure is proving to be about the only thing that works -- and it has worked remarkably well in places like Georgia, Texas and even beginning to work in Michigan.

The good news is that the No. 2 Democratic leader, Sen. Durbin (D-Ill.), has said he doesn't believe he can get more than 37 of the majority party to vote for the amnesty. That means the Republican leader, Sen. McConnell (R-Ky.), must persuade 23 of the 49 Republicans to go against their base and support the amnesty. And McConnell himself still isn't committing to a YES for the amnesty.

The pro-amnesty forces must get 60 Senators to vote YES tomorrow to keep the bill alive. The grassroots citizen army of people like you is the only thing that has gotten us this close to stopping the Kennedy/Bush plan.

TAKE YOUR ACTIONS

ACTION 1: Phone Your Senators

Senate Switchboard: 202-224-3121

All DC and local phone numbers for all Senators:
Numbers USA (broken link)

2. ACTION 2: Fax Your Senators
www.NumbersUSA.com/actionbuffet
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 06-25-2007, 07:57 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,852,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
Marching is a great idea but yes most of us have jobs and responsibilities that make it out of the question. However, an activist campaign of a constant barrage of emails, phone calls, etc. to the White House, Senate and the House will get and keep their attention on the will of the people. I believe this was a big reason why the Senate bill did not pass. Senators were innundated with calls and emails to an extent that they knew passing the amnesty bill was a mistake and could cost them their jobs. Americans have shown to be fairly apathetic on most issues and the Congress and the President have pushed their own agendas. If the majority of Americans will call or write constantly and threaten to vote them out no matter what, they will not vote for amnesty. We cannot give this President the opportunity to sign an amnesty bill of any type.
Oh, I do email, call, and fax! I've also been posting the info on boards (such as my own) that have nothing to do with politics. I figure that if all they do is read the headlines I post they are getting a message they need to hear.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Call your Governors too!

Call your Governor and tell them to enforce the laws! I sent mine an e-mail about it but have not heard anything yet! If they will follow Oaklahomas lead, we can stop this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration