Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:51 PM

232 posts, read 736,302 times

Advertisements

With limited knowledge regarding immigration law and guidelines, I have done my own research over the past decade because I am a United States citizen who has wanted to immigrate to Canada.

I have a college degree, no kids, no 'record' and excellent language skills in both English and French. Yet, the road to permanent citizenship in Canada appears to be an impossible one. One look at 'Citizenship and Immigration Canada' webpage and it appears that, when looking at the points system, you must have a doctorate-level education, a quarter of a million dollars in savings, each and every debt paid off (including all student loans), and be so advanced in your career that any job you would be applying for in Canada would be one that no current Canadian citizen would have the credentials to qualify for (after doing a nationwide search).

Yet every day it seems as if Mexicans come here with the opposite of my intentions, dreams and goals - many children, no language skills or interest in US culture, and no intentions of ever earning a degree or even a high school diploma. Obviously, many DO have goals that include the same as mine. As well, I know that life in Mexico is terrible and probably anyone who could get out of there would. But that's where we are left with a moral dilemma, which is why I'm posting this question here - at what point does policy (immigration policies should be the same for ALL, regardless of nationality) trump compassion; particularly for a nation (US) that has no resources left to assist people with no skills to ever live above any state's poverty line?

It angers me that people have been coming here illegally when it is common knowledge that having 6 kids by the age of 21, and being a grandparent by 28, basically guarantees you a lifetime of poverty and also guarantees another generation of the same living conditions. We are seeing that in other states where 5 year welfare limits have prompted people to suddenly claim they have fibromyalgia, traumatic brain injury, ADHD, or any other extremely vague medical condition that, with the right lawyer, any of us could claim we have. What these people want is a ticket to never have to work again or contribute to society. They have used their children shamelessly by brainwashing them with these phony disabilities so the parent can collect 6 SSI checks for all the kids.

Back to my comment or question, it just infuriates me that Canada has an immigration policy that is so restrictive that only the top 1% of this country's population will ever get the chance to move there. The US appears to have taken the low road by allowing any and every person wanting to come here, while taking nothing into account in terms of this person's ability to provide for themselves or their families. Meanwhile the rest of us are told to deal with it and keep paying for these services for people who dislike us from day one, yet are happy to take our money. We are then told if we don't like the conditions of this country we should leave it. But now what's discovered is - where are we supposed to go? We can't leave. While I am angry that Canada has such restrictive policies, they are an example of how a country is doing well in this financial crisis by restricting who gets in and who does not. You can't just show up. Sometimes you will be waiting 5-10 years while spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in order to get in. The majority of the time all this will be for nothing, as you will be rejected.

Imagine if the US had these policies in place, and at the same time, required a sponsor to be legally and financially responsible for each and every immigrant that entered US soil. We're about 50 years past that reality now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 06:53 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
I feel your pain, and you are absolutely right. Our country has become a free-for-all, and U.S. citizenship has been sullied by bleeding hearts who would rather watch our country implode, rather than be considered a nativist, xenophobe, or heaven forbid, a racist; none of which are the basis for the vast majority of opposition to illegal immigration.

Understandably, most countries only want immigrants who will benefit them. Sadly, the U.S. embraces those whom WE (taxpayers) can benefit. It’s part of our “savior” syndrome. Unfortunately, while we are offering a “better life” to others, our own citizens are suffering, and no one seems to care. Open borders coupled with a welfare state, is a recipe for disaster, and a magnet for illegal immigration.

Your disdain is shared by many, and it is justified.

Good luck!

Old 07-26-2010, 04:35 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
are you really college educated?

if so, how is that you make the mistake of comparing the LEGAL candian process of immigration with the ILLEGAL crossing of the US border.

your comparison makes no sense. want to compare immigration in CANADA and the US then look at the LEGAL way of doing things in the US.

since you seem to have an issue with how easy it is to get into the US by illegals [or rather MEXICANS who are grandparents at 28 ] , you will be happy to know that it is much easier to get into canada illegally.

why do i even bother responding to such garbage posts...

just a few pointers for your next posts.

dont compare oranges and apples.
dont make silly silly generalizations about mexicans.
LEARN about what it really takes to immigrate to the US. you will be suprised at how long that takes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
With limited knowledge regarding immigration law and guidelines, I have done my own research over the past decade because I am a United States citizen who has wanted to immigrate to Canada.

I have a college degree, no kids, no 'record' and excellent language skills in both English and French. Yet, the road to permanent citizenship in Canada appears to be an impossible one. One look at 'Citizenship and Immigration Canada' webpage and it appears that, when looking at the points system, you must have a doctorate-level education, a quarter of a million dollars in savings, each and every debt paid off (including all student loans), and be so advanced in your career that any job you would be applying for in Canada would be one that no current Canadian citizen would have the credentials to qualify for (after doing a nationwide search).

Yet every day it seems as if Mexicans come here with the opposite of my intentions, dreams and goals - many children, no language skills or interest in US culture, and no intentions of ever earning a degree or even a high school diploma. Obviously, many DO have goals that include the same as mine. As well, I know that life in Mexico is terrible and probably anyone who could get out of there would. But that's where we are left with a moral dilemma, which is why I'm posting this question here - at what point does policy (immigration policies should be the same for ALL, regardless of nationality) trump compassion; particularly for a nation (US) that has no resources left to assist people with no skills to ever live above any state's poverty line?

It angers me that people have been coming here illegally when it is common knowledge that having 6 kids by the age of 21, and being a grandparent by 28, basically guarantees you a lifetime of poverty and also guarantees another generation of the same living conditions. We are seeing that in other states where 5 year welfare limits have prompted people to suddenly claim they have fibromyalgia, traumatic brain injury, ADHD, or any other extremely vague medical condition that, with the right lawyer, any of us could claim we have. What these people want is a ticket to never have to work again or contribute to society. They have used their children shamelessly by brainwashing them with these phony disabilities so the parent can collect 6 SSI checks for all the kids.

Back to my comment or question, it just infuriates me that Canada has an immigration policy that is so restrictive that only the top 1% of this country's population will ever get the chance to move there. The US appears to have taken the low road by allowing any and every person wanting to come here, while taking nothing into account in terms of this person's ability to provide for themselves or their families. Meanwhile the rest of us are told to deal with it and keep paying for these services for people who dislike us from day one, yet are happy to take our money. We are then told if we don't like the conditions of this country we should leave it. But now what's discovered is - where are we supposed to go? We can't leave. While I am angry that Canada has such restrictive policies, they are an example of how a country is doing well in this financial crisis by restricting who gets in and who does not. You can't just show up. Sometimes you will be waiting 5-10 years while spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in order to get in. The majority of the time all this will be for nothing, as you will be rejected.

Imagine if the US had these policies in place, and at the same time, required a sponsor to be legally and financially responsible for each and every immigrant that entered US soil. We're about 50 years past that reality now.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 PM

61 posts, read 75,962 times
The new way to come into our country is just show up and have as many babies as possible and we will reward you with free benefits and not bother to deport you unless you become a felon while you are here. And you don't have to show us any gratitude or patriotism because we are the invaders and this is your land. Please feel free to demand more from us if you think this is not enough.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
are you really college educated?

if so, how is that you make the mistake of comparing the LEGAL candian process of immigration with the ILLEGAL crossing of the US border.

your comparison makes no sense. want to compare immigration in CANADA and the US then look at the LEGAL way of doing things in the US.

since you seem to have an issue with how easy it is to get into the US by illegals [or rather MEXICANS who are grandparents at 28 ] , you will be happy to know that it is much easier to get into canada illegally.

why do i even bother responding to such garbage posts...

just a few pointers for your next posts.

dont compare oranges and apples.
dont make silly silly generalizations about mexicans.
LEARN about what it really takes to immigrate to the US. you will be suprised at how long that takes.
You missed a salient point. To our detriment, our government has permitted untold millions of uneducated and unskilled foreigners to live illegally in this country and drain us dry. To compound the problem, Obama now wants to offer these freeloaders legal status and a path to citizenship. Why on earth would a country, particularly a country suffering from high unemployment, choose to import illiteracy and poverty?

Conversely, Canada grants visas to the best and brightest. Understandably, they want immigrants who will give to their country, rather than simply take. If illegals were truly an asset, their home countries would be begging them to stay, rather than encouraging them to leave.

Bottom line: Canada admits the cream of the crop, while the U.S. admits the bottom of the barrel.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Canadian and US immigration policies are actually very similar:
1) NAFTA/free trade work visas for specific skills
2) employment based - both US & Canada have high hurdles
3) investor based
4) family based - I believe this is the largest category in both the US & Canada

- Canada lets in twice as many legal immigrants per capita compared to the USA
- Canada has a big illegal population -either coming in via the USA or flying in without papers & claiming refugee status- they get released with a promise to appear before judge for a hearing months down te road
- IMHO Canadians are more accepting of immigrants than are Americans & don't begrudge the flying of national flags, speaking the native tongue, or in offering ESL & other help to immigrants
- Canadian immigrants do prosper - they don't bring down neighbourhoods - the richest areas in Canada (ie Markham Ontario) are Chinese/Asian & there is a growing affluent Pakistani community
- Canada has central american immigrants (few Mexicans) but they are more dispersed and don't congregate as much as other immigrants (Greeks, Italians, Chinese..), tend to be poorer, and don't have the same community support networks -but many are turning to the LDS church & networking through that

- most Canadian black immigrants are from the Caribbean
- as in the States - black males are more likely to get in trouble and public housing tends to be black

- the US gets more illegals because of geography - the US/Mexico border has the biggest income disparity of any two adjacent countries in the world - a fence won't fix that economic motivation to emigrate

Old 07-26-2010, 07:36 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
3) investor based
4) family based - I believe this is the largest category in both the US & Canada

- Canada has a big illegal population -either coming in via the USA or flying in without papers & claiming refugee status- they get released with a promise to appear before judge for a hearing months down te road
- IMHO Canadians are more accepting of immigrants than are Americans & don't begrudge the flying of national flags, speaking the native tongue, or in offering ESL & other help to immigrants
- Canadian immigrants do prosper - they don't bring down neighbourhoods - the richest areas in Canada (ie Markham Ontario) are Chinese/Asian & there is a growing affluent Pakistani community
- Canada has central american immigrants (few Mexicans) but they are more dispersed and don't congregate as much as other immigrants (Greeks, Italians, Chinese..), tend to be poorer, and don't have the same community support networks -but many are turning to the LDS church & networking through that

- as in the States - black males are more likely to get in trouble and public housing tends to be black

- the US gets more illegals because of geography - the US/Mexico border has the biggest income disparity of any two adjacent countries in the world - a fence won't fix that economic motivation to emigrate
No but strict enforcement of our laws has been demonstrated to have the desired affect. What has also been demonstrated is that poor border security combined with laxed enforcement only encourages more of the undesired behavior.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
The left will not be satisfied until they turn us into a turd world country.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
3) investor based

None of this changes the fact that the U.S. has 20+ million illegal aliens sucking us dry. We have more illegal aliens because our government has facilitated this scourge; because illegals can give birth and receive endless freebies; because our laws aren’t enforced; because it is “racist” to oppose illegal immigration; because greedy employers profit; etc, etc, etc.

Canada would NEVER tolerate this invasion. No country would.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
wrong wrong wrong.
deportations occur and continue. raids continue. e-verify is being expanded. legislature is being passed all around. border crossings and aprehensions are down. we are doins something right.

now this :
"Canada admits the cream of the crop, while the U.S. admits the bottom of the barrel"
faulty logic.

really, are you calling the people the US admits garbage? the bottom of the barrel? the people the US admits have come through legal channels. just like they have in canada. you all fail to make the distinction between those that the US admits, the Legals. and the ones that sneak in, the illegals.
and canada has those that sneak in as well.

why people FAIL to see that illegal immigration is as much a problem to canada as it is to the US, is beyond me. it exists. there ARE illegals in canada, that cause damage as well.
if you condemn the US for "allowing" such an illegal presence you must also condem canada (remember they have illegals). if you praise canada for their rigid immigration standards, you must also praise the US's becuase they are in fact very similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You missed a salient point. To our detriment, our government has permitted untold millions of uneducated and unskilled foreigners to live illegally in this country and drain us dry. To compound the problem, Obama now wants to offer these freeloaders legal status and a path to citizenship. Why on earth would a country, particularly a country suffering from high unemployment, choose to import illiteracy and poverty?

Conversely, Canada grants visas to the best and brightest. Understandably, they want immigrants who will give to their country, rather than simply take. If illegals were truly an asset, their home countries would be begging them to stay, rather than encouraging them to leave.

Bottom line: Canada admits the cream of the crop, while the U.S. admits the bottom of the barrel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration