Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,551 times

Advertisements

This is hilarious. They (the media) try to depict undocumented workers in fields as poor slaves. This one undocumented worker has been there for 32 years. They ask the owner how many "Americans" he has hired over the 16 years, he quickly says, "None," as though he has planned that answer since he first found out that CNN was coming to film the "struggle" of undocumented migrant workers. You also have to wonder if he has even let the job availability be known to known migrant workers or if he just goes to the local Home Depot to pick them up.

Oh, I should also mention that in the beginning of the special, the narration contains a little line that goes like this, "The immigrants work long to eat the grapes that YOU will SNACK on later." I had to chuckle at this. The media is a sly devil in the immigration debate. They LOVE to play the sadness and compassion violin that isn't always the truth about undocumented workers. It's very misleading and unfair for the media to present the work of undocumented people like this. It is a false why of brainwashing the viewers into thinking that undocumented people are only doing jobs such as picking grapes.

It's amazing how the media can just serve up this image.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 10:10 PM

Oh yea, I just wanted to add that one of the lines used by the reporter was saying that the undocumented workers have hard times during the times when a harvest is not going on and that they sometimes have to eat grapes before living work. Now ... all of the people in the video and report were obese and overweight. The dude that was featured was VERY round and all of the women were overweight as well ... now, you tell me if they are just eating grapes and "unable to go out to dinner." The media kills me when they try to paint the picture of illegal immigrants. How are you going to talk about how they can barely make enough to eat (they are reported as making $600 a week as a family, that's $2400 a month) when they are all overweight and looking like they are eating pretty good? Makes you wonder if they are using that good ol' food stamp plan.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:14 PM

8,630 posts, read 10,157,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Oh yea, I just wanted to add that one of the lines used by the reporter was saying that the undocumented workers have hard times during the times when a harvest is not going on and that they sometimes have to eat grapes before living work. Now ... all of the people in the video and report were obese and overweight. The dude that was featured was VERY round and all of the women were overweight as well ... now, you tell me if they are just eating grapes and "unable to go out to dinner." The media kills me when they try to paint the picture of illegal immigrants. How are you going to talk about how they can barely make enough to eat (they are reported as making $600 a week as a family, that's $2400 a month) when they are all overweight and looking like they are eating pretty good? Makes you wonder if they are using that good ol' food stamp plan.
They all like to hang out at the Golden Corral in Glendale. I'm not sure how much it is for children to eat there, but it's around $12.00 per adult.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
They all like to hang out at the Golden Corral in Glendale. I'm not sure how much it is for children to eat there, but it's around $12.00 per adult.
You know a bunch of them are undocumented, that's just a fact. So, they are undocumented, apparently are working jobs that Americans won't do, but they are sitting up in Golden Corral eating up chicken and drinking Pepsi. Yet, they call us lazy Americans. I bet their bad kids run around the Golden Corral while you try to eat, huh?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 AM

36 posts, read 64,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
It's amazing how the media can just serve up this image.
Absolutely... I am amazed at the fact people don't realize how dumb the whole "they do jobs Americans aren't willing to do" argument happens to be.

1) The people trying to make this argument just sound like slave owners defending this. They're using dirt cheap labor to promote illegal immigration. They're using examples of people who, for the most part, are being paid under the table (illegally). And on top of that they're playing the sympathy card that they're doing these hard labor jobs "for us"? There's plenty of people in America looking for work in their industries and illegals can come in and just land jobs because they're the cheapest labor available -- which brings me to my next point.

2) Who says Americans wouldn't do these jobs? As you said, SoEdible, " You also have to wonder if he has even let the job availability be known to known migrant workers or if he just goes to the local Home Depot to pick them up." It's incredible how simple-minded some people are... do they really think that societal evolution is as simple as an unemployed American taking a job in an industry that has been long dominated by one very specific segment of society for so long?

I don't know if you saw this, but there was/is a challenge by the United Farm Workers in California which challenged unemployed American workers to take over the farming jobs for the harvest season. They were using this to prove a point that unemployed people would not take the opportunity, even in desperation.

How ridiculous is that? So, an electrical engineer is going to take time out of his job search for an $80k salary to go into a seasonal hard labor industry? Or even someone looking for a job in retail? If that's not their industry they're not going to look at that opportunity... that's the way society works, especially when I doubt the wages on these farms are even close to what unemployment pays.

This segment of the workforce has been shifted for so long that the industry is completely dominated by one segment of society. When that happens, the idea of doing hard labor for cheap naturally becomes unappealing to even the most desperate Americans over time because they're less accustomed to it. Illegal immigration is shaping American society, not the other way around... have laws become absolutely meaningless?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:14 AM

216 posts, read 234,647 times
But CNN, ONLY A SMALL AMOUNT OF ILLEGALS work the fields something like 1.9 million the rest are collecting or stealing jobs Americans need. what shear dribble. so wheres Andersons report on this?
talk about propaganda.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:16 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,327,751 times
How ever their getting paid, or what they do with their money afterwords or pool it...all I know is the communities, at least in Florida, that they habitate, are doing pretty good...driving nice or decent cars....

When I would go to the farms...the workers all looked 'healthy' and 'fit'....for you cannot be starving, weak, and under fed...to do that work...

And moral at these farms seemed as good or better than the moral I often see employees displaying at Wal-Mart....

But I do feel the job enviornment is one most middle class Americans or low middle class, would walk away from in days or hours...

The heat, the bugs, the dirt, the constant stooping or lifting...expecially water melon groves...it would defintatly wear you out if you weren't in shape...

But there are blue collor Americans who could do it...meaning those who already do or work in similuar work enviornments...

Old 07-29-2010, 08:18 AM

181 posts, read 339,037 times
If they are earning "slave" wages and barely surviving how are they able to send $20 Billion back to Mexico each year?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:32 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,647,296 times
Ever watch the show Dirty Jobs? There ain't one job anywhere at all in the entire U.S. of blasted A that an American somewhere will not do. Fact.

Time for some folks to *plop* pull their heads out of that deep dark cavity.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 AM

36 posts, read 64,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDollie View Post
If they are earning "slave" wages and barely surviving how are they able to send $20 Billion back to Mexico each year?
Who said slave wages? I said it's the cheapest labor available, just like when slavery was prominent and considered acceptable in society and was the cheapest labor available. Now illegal immigration is prominent and it's considered acceptable (by our own government and defended by the media and their very select group of pundits since it's quite evident from polling that a vast majority of Americans are in favor of stricter border control and ICE enforcement) to pay them cheap wages under the table because "they'll do the work other Americans won't do"... they're trying to come off as understanding when they actually just come off as pompous and arrogant as if this work is below them and other Americans.

And that $20 billion figure (if it's even correct) seems really big until you divide it by the # of illegals and how many hours they have to work to make that much... and by the way, how bad is that for our economy if $20 billion is being exported yearly never to return?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration