Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 08:12 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,092,820 times

Advertisements

In CA, my father is a builder for about 60 years, a Republican who says the country is going gown the drain. My other 'dear' relative is in same business. They tell me for legals and illegals without skills the wages are $12 to $15 per hr. With a tradesman skill for legals and illegals wages are $25 per hr. So the same. I'm wondering what jobs illegals are doing that Americans will not do? Where did this phrase come from...agriculture and brand new illegals? Loads of Americans are working for minimum and low wages along with illegals.

My dear relative also says we need universal health care, and that big business republicans started the illegal cheap labor problems...what can I say to refute? These two issues will have to be addressed to get a Republican president for '08.

Last edited by faith10; 06-23-2007 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 08:28 PM

428 posts, read 2,444,341 times
They need to tell you WHY they would hire an illegal at the same wage as a legal. There would be no reason to, unless they did not want to be able to communicate with the employee. The wage is NOT the same, or they would never get hired. They lie.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,476,127 times
I have fun watching "Flip This House" once in a while. I have seen many times where the flipper has argued the large bill from a contractor. The contractor brings all Mexicans to do the work. The knowledgeable flipper has done this enough to know that the contractor charged him $20-$30/ hr. per employee but pays them $8-$12/ per hr.

One time a bill came in at $30,000 and the flipper said “Are you going to tell me that you bring me a bunch of employees that don’t even speak English and you are paying them top dollar? You better adjust that bill because I’m not paying it”. The bill was adjusted to what? $14,000.

These contractors charge the going rate but pay the low wages to the illegals and then pocket the difference.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyM View Post
They need to tell you WHY they would hire an illegal at the same wage as a legal. There would be no reason to, unless they did not want to be able to communicate with the employee. The wage is NOT the same, or they would never get hired. They lie.
Oh no, my relatives did not lie they have old fashioned character. The reason the wages ARE the same is that there are no Americans to hire these days. This makes sense to me because I do not see many in my area who speak English well at all, they are mostly illegals, very few whites or blacks I see.

Last edited by faith10; 06-23-2007 at 09:11 PM..

Old 06-23-2007, 09:21 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,690,237 times
I have a friend here in Omaha that frames houses. He told me that it's to the point where he can hardly turn a profit now and stay in business unless he starts hiring illegals. The problem is his competitors all hire illegals, so they can bid in a lot lower than he can. So he loses job after job.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I have a friend here in Omaha that frames houses. He told me that it's to the point where he can hardly turn a profit now and stay in business unless he starts hiring illegals. The problem is his competitors all hire illegals, so they can bid in a lot lower than he can. So he loses job after job.

I hope Omaha does not end up like L.A. where there is pretty much only illegals left working in small construction at regular going rates. Someone here just told me that it's the same way in Florida now.

I see it's true that some Americans are not doing jobs illegals do, but they DO want to, they've just been 'pushed out' of certain industries by illegals and employers, first by employers hiring illegals for less, THEN by the illegals over-running an industry causing Americans to flee it and the area, resulting in illegals being paid regular going rates...for years now! The lowest American wages continue to be kept down due to illegal competition by employers though. Whatever the illegals do seems to hurt Americans one way or another.

Last edited by faith10; 06-23-2007 at 11:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration