Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 05:36 PM

50,491 posts, read 47,270,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It will be the US who pushes a civil war, if history has taught us anything.

I'm ok with that if it straightens out that @#$#@$ hole.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:42 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,354,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
What is it with Americans and their refusal to change and learn? Time never stands still and things will never remain exactly as they are now (or have been). Since the late 1800s the US has been a huge melting pot - possibly the biggest in the world? I can't think of another country with so many large enclaves of many different cultures. Naturally, Spanish is a big one due to our proximity to Mexico, Central America, and island nations like Puerto Rico and Cuba. I guess you can thank Spain's invasion for the spread of the Spanish language - 600 years ago it just wasn't here.

The Southwestern states and Florida have always had a large Hispanic/Spanish influence and bilinguality is very common. Don't like it? Don't live there! Being bilingual is only a bonus - so learn it! You'll be smarter because of it.

And I'm in no way supporting the infestation of illegal immigrants, the cause of which is the pot of gold offered by the US government in the form of free handouts. Don't like seeing unemployed Mexican women with five kids living off the dole? Blame the government first and take a stand instead of whining about Spanish.
As I stated in answer to another post, it isn't we Americans that are refusing to "learn" as you put it.

In the past, imigrants were willing and eager to learn the language of their adopted country. English is our language. We don't need to learn another (unless we simply want to). It is those who come here that need to learn OUR language.

Why should we be expected to learn the language of every imigrant or illeagal alien that comes to our country? They are coming here, we speak English. Learn it! Learn it! Learn it!

English is the "universal language of the World", and it is and always has been the language of international commerce.

Those who learn English will prosper here, and the sooner they learn it the quicker they will become prosperosus.

I don't need another language. I don't deal with foreigners in my business.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:36 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,699,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Get used to what?

Till there is an economic reason to learn another language---------English is here to stay.

As for China; that nation is starting to show signs of imploding due to the worldwide crash.

Im just trying to point out that the situation in the states with Spanish is ocurring around the world. Its the new way.

Yes Im in Spain but Im not Spanish. Im from Australia. In Australia, people are obligated to learn Chinese and or Japanese. In Hong Kong, they have to learn Mandarin Chinese and English on top of their own dialect.

Its about increasing your job worthiness.

At any rate, the states WAS Spanish speaking before the war with Mexico.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:48 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,188,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Im just trying to point out that the situation in the states with Spanish is ocurring around the world. Its the new way.

Yes Im in Spain but Im not Spanish. Im from Australia. In Australia, people are obligated to learn Chinese and or Japanese. In Hong Kong, they have to learn Mandarin Chinese and English on top of their own dialect.

Its about increasing your job worthiness.

At any rate, the states WAS Spanish speaking before the war with Mexico.
Learning another language is of no importance to me----------I have no desire to live in any other country.

Spanish is not an important language outside of either Spain or Latin America.

As for our Southwest being part of Mexico and earlier Spain----------they subjugated the Aztecs, etc. And of course; there seems to be no rage in Mexico over their losing Guatemala after 1821----------maybe because the latter nation is still poor.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:26 PM

26,009 posts, read 18,993,068 times
Exclamation Oil and Water

Ho, ho, ho... it's Christmas! How about another present? How about another full-length novel? Merry Christmas!

I still fail to see what the Spanish language has to do with illegal immigrants being allowed to remain in this country while being given free handouts. In my mind, whether an illegal alien speaks Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Romanian, Malay, Uzbek or ENGLISH, it makes no difference. They should NOT BE HERE, regardless of what they speak. Am I wrong?

I think many of you are trying to mix two separate issues. Oil and Water. If you have a problem with illegal aliens remaining in this country and being catered to, that’s one thing. I’m with you on that one. But, a crusade against foreign languages being spoken in the US is another issue altogether.

KNOWING English in the United States in order that one may communicate with others is common sense and should be required of all legal immigrants (there should be no illegal immigrants in this country). Actually, I thought English was required of immigrants. But that is where it stops. Beyond that, my choice of everyday language for my personal goings-on is mine and mine alone, not yours. It’s none of your business.

Some of you go into this big cultural rant. How about this: if I spoke perfect English, yet chose to conduct my personal and family affairs in another language, and told you that I do it because I hate the sound of English, what excuse would you use to try and force me to speak English at all times? You can’t use the ‘culture’ scapegoat now. So what? Maybe that your ear is more finely tuned to the beauty of language than mine is? Give me a break. As long as the U.S. is a free country and the Bill of Rights is in effect, I’ll speak as I like on my time. When I speak with you, I’ll use English.

I’m a native of the US and speak several languages. I love language and linguistics (odd for a Yank, I know). I have, on occasion, gone out of my way to annoy ‘language nazis’ around me. I once stood near some Spanish speakers in the checkout line at the local market when a language nazi butts in and tells them to speak English. Well, guess what? Unless the language nazi is being addressed, it’s none of his concern. Here’s the fun part. I immediately began speaking Norwegian to my friend (I had been speaking English prior to that). You should have seen the look on the language nazi’s face. His blood pressure had to have skyrocketed. I was surprised one of his arteries didn’t burst right there. It was priceless. He went beet red. Probably took ten years off his life. Poor chap. It has to be pure hell worrying about everyone else’s personal conduct and business so much.

Now why on earth would I do a horrible thing like that? If you knew me you’d know that I’m about the most polite and easy-going person you could ever meet. I’m extremely easy to get along with. I absolutely respect others around me. And I don't hate English--I have a college degree in English. So why? Well, I did this because I hate others telling me or anyone else around me how to conduct personal affairs. I can speak English, but you are NOT going to force me to speak it--especially on my own time. It’s a FREE COUNTRY and I can speak any way I choose. In any language I choose. Period.

So there.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:33 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,165,437 times
Cool please pick a number

For a reply in English, (push 1)

For a reply in Spanish, (push 2)

Old 12-22-2008, 07:40 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post

*Connie presses 1 firmly*

Old 12-22-2008, 08:18 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,188,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Ho, ho, ho... it's Christmas! How about another present? How about another full-length novel? Merry Christmas!

I still fail to see what the Spanish language has to do with illegal immigrants being allowed to remain in this country while being given free handouts. In my mind, whether an illegal alien speaks Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Romanian, Malay, Uzbek or ENGLISH, it makes no difference. They should NOT BE HERE, regardless of what they speak. Am I wrong?

I think many of you are trying to mix two separate issues. Oil and Water. If you have a problem with illegal aliens remaining in this country and being catered to, that’s one thing. I’m with you on that one. But, a crusade against foreign languages being spoken in the US is another issue altogether.

KNOWING English in the United States in order that one may communicate with others is common sense and should be required of all legal immigrants (there should be no illegal immigrants in this country). Actually, I thought English was required of immigrants. But that is where it stops. Beyond that, my choice of everyday language for my personal goings-on is mine and mine alone, not yours. It’s none of your business.

Some of you go into this big cultural rant. How about this: if I spoke perfect English, yet chose to conduct my personal and family affairs in another language, and told you that I do it because I hate the sound of English, what excuse would you use to try and force me to speak English at all times? You can’t use the ‘culture’ scapegoat now. So what? Maybe that your ear is more finely tuned to the beauty of language than mine is? Give me a break. As long as the U.S. is a free country and the Bill of Rights is in effect, I’ll speak as I like on my time. When I speak with you, I’ll use English.

I’m a native of the US and speak several languages. I love language and linguistics (odd for a Yank, I know). I have, on occasion, gone out of my way to annoy ‘language nazis’ around me. I once stood near some Spanish speakers in the checkout line at the local market when a language nazi butts in and tells them to speak English. Well, guess what? Unless the language nazi is being addressed, it’s none of his concern. Here’s the fun part. I immediately began speaking Norwegian to my friend (I had been speaking English prior to that). You should have seen the look on the language nazi’s face. His blood pressure had to have skyrocketed. I was surprised one of his arteries didn’t burst right there. It was priceless. He went beet red. Probably took ten years off his life. Poor chap. It has to be pure hell worrying about everyone else’s personal conduct and business so much.

Now why on earth would I do a horrible thing like that? If you knew me you’d know that I’m about the most polite and easy-going person you could ever meet. I’m extremely easy to get along with. I absolutely respect others around me. And I don't hate English--I have a college degree in English. So why? Well, I did this because I hate others telling me or anyone else around me how to conduct personal affairs. I can speak English, but you are NOT going to force me to speak it--especially on my own time. It’s a FREE COUNTRY and I can speak any way I choose. In any language I choose. Period.

So there.
And playing that game goes both ways.............

I used to know a gentleman from Germany (who, BTW, lost both of his parents in the Holocaust) who got pissed off at a bunch of Latinos speaking Spanish in Los Angeles--------he fired back at them in German. Apparently, said Hispanics almost fell over in shock.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:25 PM

26,009 posts, read 18,993,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And playing that game goes both ways.............

I used to know a gentleman from Germany (who, BTW, lost both of his parents in the Holocaust) who got pissed off at a bunch of Latinos speaking Spanish in Los Angeles--------he fired back at them in German. Apparently, said Hispanics almost fell over in shock.
Well, there you go. See how much fun language can be?

Old 12-22-2008, 08:40 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,463,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post

That's entrapment,
English is the only language to be used on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration