Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 08:15 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,171,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Bill Richardson is part of the Mexican/Mexican American elite. Do you consider him to be White ?
Richardson is obviously a Mestizo, genetically speaking.

In Latin America, he would probably be counted as 'White' under their customs.

Vicente Fox is definitely White but would be counted as Hispanic here in the states.

Again: both Hispanic and Latino are weasel words----------designed in part to deceive.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:22 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,516,738 times
51 pages later, let it go friend dont learn spanish its ok. DM me if you need translation help--- i just want you to be happy.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:24 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,289,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
51 pages later, let it go friend dont learn spanish its ok.
I have no problem with people not learning Spanish. This country's primary language is English, nobody should be "forced" to learn another language(not that anyone is at the moment!).

And besides, when I brush up on my espanol, that'll give me an advantage in the job market!

Old 01-17-2009, 06:38 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,652,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
I have no problem with people not learning Spanish. This country's primary language is English, nobody should be "forced" to learn another language(not that anyone is at the moment!).

And besides, when I brush up on my espanol, that'll give me an advantage in the job market!
Just curious if you mean that noone should be forced to learn English, either?

Old 01-17-2009, 06:42 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,289,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Just curious if you mean that noone should be forced to learn English, either?
That's not what I meant by that, but anyway, I don't believe there is a need to. They learn English anyways. There aren't successive generations of people in this country not speaking English these days, like the midwest Germans of the 1800s.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:14 PM

35 posts, read 74,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
That certainly make sense then if they told you that they were illegal immigrants, but I don't think there is such a thing as "spotting an illegal a block away." When people start profiling others based on their race and ethnicity there is nothing good that can come out of that.
He's doing duck typing - "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..."

Perhaps it is not "clean" and will mistype some people, but in a pinch... it'll do.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:20 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,059,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuimanu View Post
He's doing duck typing - "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..."

Perhaps it is not "clean" and will mistype some people, but in a pinch... it'll do.
What a stupid comment. And racist.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishRules View Post
First , usually the businesses that employ illegals are legal.
Gee, are you sure that is your final answer? A company may not hire an undocumented person - to do so is ILLEGAL.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
In the English language or slang thereof, "gotcha" means I understood what you just said. Sorry for the confusion.

A business is not legal if the employees are not here legally. The business is also not legal if said employees are using false documents to be hired. It is no different than if the business didn't pay taxes. If you don't believe me check the Federal statutes against hiring Illegal Aliens. The busts of these illegal businesses are happening daily.

Here is an example:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/15/us/15hiring.html
And I wish they happened more. Do they have a hotline for us to blow the whistle? More and more, I see spanish-only speaking young men hanging out in certain parts of town waiting to be picked up for work. I'd like those giving this work to them to be investigated.

Yes, Cabolissa, this is more "duck typing." If I see some guys pulling a television and stereo equipment out of the window to YOUR house, you'd be happy that I used some "duck typing" to influence my call to the cops.

Last edited by ahuimanu; 01-19-2009 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
What a stupid comment. And racist.
In some cases, making such judgments is practical. If I am in the "wrong" part of town, and I see some guys with clothing and mannerisms suggesting that they are in a gang - shall I wait and get a full assessment? Or, shall I do some "duck typing" and do a 180 and get out of there?

The ability to distinguish and act on scant first impressions is what has allowed humans to survive and evolve. A perfect accounting of the facts is rarely available a priori.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration