Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,318,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I read a study which indicated that even at the high school level many Hispanics who were born in this country still require ESL classes. I’m sure having only Spanish spoken at home by their parents is a major factor, particularly among children of illegals.
Yea, I read that before as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 07:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,905,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
It depends on what part of the country you are talking about. There is a large population of Hispanics in a city named Lawrence close to where I live, maybe some are illegal but at least they are working at McDonalds who starting salary here is now at $9.50 per hour. No bad for today's economy. More power to them. If the legal Hispanic or White or Indian are to lazy or embarrassed to work at McDonalds or any other fast food restaurant no matter what the starting salary is shame on them, it's a job, more than others have that are living in tents instead of the homes they have just lost....
Your anti-American bias makes you assume that the Americans living in tents refuse to work. In many hispanic areas, you will not find a single black or white American kid employed in these fast food places because of anti-American discrimination that is allowed.

And think about it - you see Americans of all kinds going off to military jobs in horrible places like Afghanistan and Iraq - willing to put up with danger so to insist that Americans are too lazy to work is very hateful of you.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:34 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,198,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
The sad thing about this, it should not be. Shortly after ww2 a new little boy came to our class. We were about 4th grade I think. He had just arrived from Italy with mommy, daddy and his older sister. None of them spoke English. There were not ESL classes or anything like that. By the end of the school year he spoke English as well as any of us. No, his parents never did speak the language well, but well enough, with the help of this little boy and his older sister to open up the first Pizza restaurant in our little town.

Nita

Old 08-30-2010, 02:20 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,561,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I read a study which indicated that even at the high school level many Hispanics who were born in this country still require ESL classes. I’m sure having only Spanish spoken at home by their parents is a major factor, particularly among children of illegals.
If you listen carefully around you, you find that few people born in America are even capable of speaking proper English. And even fewer can write well.

I had a coworker from Mexico, with college degree from Mexico and a graduate degree from the US. His English was pure, proper, and minutely accurate, however, he had the accent of a Mexican aristocrat. He felt awkward speaking in public and wished he could erase his accent. It's sad that someone with so much to offer is intimidated by Americans that are, themselves, inept at the English language.

I find it amazing that we expect more out of immigrants than we do of our own children.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:55 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,358,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
If you listen carefully around you, you find that few people born in America are even capable of speaking proper English. And even fewer can write well.

I had a coworker from Mexico, with college degree from Mexico and a graduate degree from the US. His English was pure, proper, and minutely accurate, however, he had the accent of a Mexican aristocrat. He felt awkward speaking in public and wished he could erase his accent. It's sad that someone with so much to offer is intimidated by Americans that are, themselves, inept at the English language.

I find it amazing that we expect more out of immigrants than we do of our own children.
First off, I have no problem with English being spoken with an accent. I would rather they do that then to refuse to learn or speak it at all. Sometimes it is hard to lose an accent but I have no problem with that at all.

Stop stereotyping Americans as if they all object to English being spoken with an accent because it simply isn't true. Whether or not some Americans don't speak or write English perfectly is irrelevant. I am sure that is true of many native citizens in any country. It depends on the extent of their education. Less educated Americans will not have as a good of a grasp on grammar or spelling as more educated ones but then again that is true of every country's citizens. Sounds like you have an axe to grind.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:16 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,114,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I had two Mexican immigrants (legal) in my grade school class who did not speak a word english. Without the aid of a bilingual instructor they learned english through immersion and were A students. Amazing how that worked out.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:30 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,331,855 times
Where I live all of them speak English just fine, but I don't think you can tell if they are legal or not based on this. Could well be anchor babies, new legal immigrants, or illegal immigrants. I've never come across any hispanic person who does not speak english in a fast food chain restaurant. The penalty for hiring illegals is probably a huge fine. However I am sure that people can get fake work documents.

In a hole-in-the-wall restaurant, yes there are some who do not speak english.

Same with hole-in-the-wall asian restaurants.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:44 PM

19 posts, read 18,040 times
Quote:
When we had a business, there were very strict procedures we had to go through in the hiring process. I highly doubt that a business such as McDonalds would chance hiring illegals, so I would assume the workers are legal.
I think of illegals as being migrant workers etc, where the workers move around, and employer's chance of getting caught is low.
No, that is not true. This is why E-verify isn't worth anything. They simply use phony ID's/steal ID's. There's no way to find out if you use someone elses info. The only way would be through fingerprints.
I read in the NY Times that about 55% of foreign born latinos are here illegally. Furthermore, you do not get a visa for working at MCDonalds, Wal Mart etc. I'm not sure to what extend the companies know. I don't want to defend them, but I do think most do not know. Perhaps even don't care enough.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:59 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,312,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
99% of the workers in my hometowns fast food restaurants are hispanic. They may be illegal or legal. I don't know. But I have to assume that most of them are undocumented because most do not speak any english and are dark skinned indian types.

Do you think there is any statistics on the percentage of people from an Hispanic background that are ethnically Indian and are very dark skinned and do not speak english and work in low skilled work in relation to legal status?
I actually expect most fast food workers to be legal. I would expect most undocumented immigrants are day laborers and workers at business patronized almost exclusively by the Hispanic community.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:06 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,871,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
When we had a business, there were very strict procedures we had to go through in the hiring process. I highly doubt that a business such as McDonalds would chance hiring illegals, so I would assume the workers are legal.
I think of illegals as being migrant workers etc, where the workers move around, and employer's chance of getting caught is low.
MOST of the "large chain" outlets are actually run by franchisees, so in fact are "small" businesses, so yes they can and do frequently hire illegals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration