Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,021,060 times

Advertisements

You know what excessive legal immigration (especially if the vast majority of those immigrants come from 2nd or 3rd world nations which is the case for almost all the 1st world countries to begin with) does to a country's population? It keeps the unemployment level high. If you have less 3rd world immigrants living here, wages would improve for Americans, and there would be a higher abundance of jobs for Americans. This diversity crap is just that, crap. I don't care for diversity, I care if the immigrants are able to advance our country forward. 3rd world immigrants cannot do that. For me, immigration has nothing to do with diversity, or multiculturalism (why are liberals so obsessed with this?) but only if it would benefit us economically. So far, we have greatly exceeded our immigration needs, we don't need any more. We have very high unemployment yet we continue in bringing in a lot more people from poor nations. We have NO duty to them, we owe them NOTHING. I noticed you use different spelling, in fact, Im gonna go out on a whim and say why don't you take all of our immigrants, and put them in Canada? We have 300 million people here, your country only has what? 32 million? You need more people, not us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 10:57 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,401,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There are many countries larger than ours.
Perhaps only three or four out of 200 in the world.
Quote:
Just because our country started out from immigrants from other countries doesn't mean that we have to continue to take in large numbers of immigrants continually. As our population continued to grow we needed fewer and fewer immigrants.

Remain in denial all you want but our country still has an identifying culture and language regardless of the number of immigrants that have come here from various nations. We are a melting pot. In other words new immigrants add a little spice to the pot but the pot has still retained its basic flavor.
I disagree. The South, New England, California, etc. all have different cultures.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:10 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,276,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Should the USA sign a treaty with Mexico, stating that x amount of person per year will be allowed in legally?

Some aspects of the issue will not be resolved soon, namely:

- The USA being wealthier than Mexico
- The two countries' close proximity
- A demand for cheap labour

So, since these factors are givens for the time being, isn't some kind of accommodation required?
Did I miss something? Do we some how owe Mexico a damned thing? We can get cheap labor right here at home. No need to import it. Proximity has no bearing on need, nor quality of immigrant. What is evident is Mexico seems to have quite a few individuals with no respect for our laws. They will pay a Coyote thousands to smuggle them but wont pay the fees for a VISA application.
Same mentality as: I will break into your home because you might not invite me in if I knock first.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:29 PM

50,590 posts, read 47,422,441 times
Who do we want as fellow neighbors, law abiding people that came here legally or criminals that spit on our flag and our laws hiding behind the tired line "in search of a better life". It should be changed to "in search of someone else's life" because they are stealing them.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:40 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,354,188 times
Quote:
Perhaps only three or four out of 200 in the world.

I disagree. The South, New England, California, etc. all have different cultures.
I wouldn't call them cultures. That is where you go wrong and English is still our national langauge all over the country regardless of where you live.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:38 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,879,564 times
Quote:
The USA is a wealthier country, recession aside. It will for that reason be a magnet to others around the world.

The USA is physically huge. The USA is built historically on immigration. The arguments against present US immigration are slim. As for arguments of dilution of culture, well when was the USA ever culturally homogeneous?
Actually the USA was built on opening doors and the slamming them shut to allow immigrants to assimilate into American society. We've been generous enough to Mexican migrants. We need to finally tell them enough is enough. This is the United States. This is not Mexico North.

The average illegal migrant from Mexico does not speak English, does not have much by way of an education and has a larger family than the average American.

Frankly we don't need them here. They take up social services, lower wages, increase class sizes and fail to become citizens even when given the opportunity to do do. Their elected officials have the nerve to lecture us on immigration policies while doing little to alleviate the problems that motivate their countrymen to break our laws so brazenly.

As was pointed out Mexico's own immigration laws are ridiculously hypocritical and amazingly punitive.

We have many poorly educated Americans here who can do low paying menial jobs. It would nice if pols from both sides of the political fence had the guts to say so.

Enough's enough already. A border is a border. A border is not an implied promise that you get to violate our immigration laws just because you can climb it.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,401,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I wouldn't call them cultures. That is where you go wrong and English is still our national langauge all over the country regardless of where you live.
They are culturally distinct areas. Culture even differs amongst race or class lines in the USA. Language also means little since most nation-states have a common language. Most nation-states also are in some sense multi-cultural.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,868,959 times
They are REGIONS, not cultures - good grief........... MOST countries have REGIONAL differences........

Now the USA is a "nation-state" ?

Old 08-31-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
They are REGIONS, not cultures - good grief........... MOST countries have REGIONAL differences........

Now the USA is a "nation-state" ?
Thank you.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
They are culturally distinct areas. Culture even differs amongst race or class lines in the USA. Language also means little since most nation-states have a common language. Most nation-states also are in some sense multi-cultural.
We are not a multi-cultural nation per se. We have one identifying culture with other minority cultures living among us. The common language in all of our states is English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration