Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:22 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,672,865 times

Advertisements

i think if they show evidence of being no burden to the state (also are made ineligible for certain public services) and have proven to be upstanding students and citizens, it would be ok to let them stay [with provisions on chain migration]. it seems counterproductive to jettison young eager brilliant minds just for the sake of getting rid of them. they can be of service to the country. we've spent money educating them, why not reap the benefits.

of course the counter argument here is... why dont they take their US education and put it to use in their home country...

we still would lose the time and money expended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
So basically, it's a "the sins of the father" situation then? Even though these kids had zero say in whether they were brought here illegally or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 06:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
Quote:
In cases where the child was brought here as a minor by their parents entering the country illegally, should there be a special provision to allow them to gain legal status upon becoming 18?

Given that they really had very little if any say in the matter, it would seem fair.

I'm not talking about the so called Dream Act for illegals 18-34 - more a special visa process so that these kids who are here illegally through no fault of their own can become legal residents.

I'd rather reward someone in this position than the scum that come over as illegal adults to drop babies, suck up social services, take jobs and commit crimes.

Maybe a special visa with a prohibition on so called "chain migration" rights for a certain number of years? And to stop the "Dreamies" utilising it, have a time limit to apply - maybe only be eligible to apply from 3 months before they turn 18 to 3 months after.
No, no special treatment for anyone.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:27 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,848,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
They are here illegally. What do you want, send their parents home, and then we take care of them? No no no.

Send them all home. We don't want them,
they were not invited. The first thing they did
in our country, was break the law!!!

I don't believe in the current interpretation of the 14th amendment which allows the children born here of tourists and illegals to have automatic birthright citizenship, but slaves were brought here against their will, with NO CHOICE and so were these kids.

Why do they have to pay for the crimes of their parents?

Why would these 18 year olds need their parents to stay in the country to "look after them"? I'm talking about kids brought here as minors against their will being given a chance to have legal status at 18.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:51 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
Quote:

Why would these 18 year olds need their parents to stay in the country to "look after them"? I'm talking about kids brought here as minors against their will being given a chance to have legal status at 18.
They already do. Here is how it works. Apply to college. Get accepted. Leave the US. Apply for student visa. Get student visa. Re-enter US legally.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:01 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,874,458 times
Alternatively why should you get a benefit because your parents broke the law? Parents do things all the time without the consent of the children. It's called parenting. Being the offspring of an illegal migrant does not give you special permission to ignore US immigration law. All that does is create even more incentives for illegal migration.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
I would say no. That's the whole plan the parents have. Come here illegally, use their children as some kind of shields - excuse to break the laws, get a pass, the easy way around the laws. And of course insist because they came to take the low paying jobs, the taxpayers must provide college free for these kids.

Then when the child is 18 and legal, they sponsor the parents, grandparents, whoever else.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I don't believe in the current interpretation of the 14th amendment which allows the children born here of tourists and illegals to have automatic birthright citizenship, but slaves were brought here against their will, with NO CHOICE and so were these kids.

Why do they have to pay for the crimes of their parents?

What other kids are rewarded for the crimes their parents commit? Other kids watch parents go to prison - and going home to their own country isn't exactly punishment, it's where they belong.

It would be one thing if these kids could never sponsor their parents in time for social security checks and Medicare like is the plan now.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:01 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,329,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I would say no. That's the whole plan the parents have. Come here illegally, use their children as some kind of shields - excuse to break the laws, get a pass, the easy way around the laws. And of course insist because they came to take the low paying jobs, the taxpayers must provide college free for these kids.

Then when the child is 18 and legal, they sponsor the parents, grandparents, whoever else.
There lays the biggest problem with legalizing these Dreamies as you stated in your last sentence.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:05 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,179,655 times
I'd go for them becoming legal residents, but not citizens, if they returned to their country of origin to apply. I'd stipulate they have to have maintained a high GPA, and have no criminal record. Of course legal residency would not include the right to sponsor chain migration.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 PM

Another good reason for leaving them illegal is then they'd have to take those low paying jobs that no American would ever want to do and we wouldn't have to keep importing millions of others in the never ending cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration