Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:03 AM

874 posts, read 1,664,432 times

Advertisements

Clearly overcrowding is an issue that affects the poor, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 12:17 AM

894 posts, read 1,130,288 times
If they're overcrowded in Mexico let them go on the pill or practice abortions. Their lack of self-control with regard to reproduction should not become a burden to the United States or its citizens.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:49 AM

My writing skills are a little weak right now. I apologize.

I meant overcrowding in houses. You know how a lot of people live in either one house or one apartment room when it's meant for less people?

I'm not a huge fan of population overcrowding either, but I think the people in Mexico are more religious so abortions are probably not as prevalent as they are here.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:49 AM

346 posts, read 711,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
What I'm saying is, it's easy for us here in America to act holier than thou, but if the situation were reversed, I think some people would try to immigrate to Mexico. I think some of this harshness comes from a lack of empathy for people's situations in other countries.
My family is from Mexico, and I know many people who live down there. Maybe you have been there yourself and have a different perspective, but from what I know - Mexico is not as bad as how people make it seem. It's pretty nice. It offers a relatively decent standard of living - certainly nowhere near as bad as Niger or Cambodia. Should we open our door to them too, since they are so poor? We can't afford to house all the world's poor. It would be nice, but we have to watch out for ourselves first.

The whole "Oh they are coming from such terrible conditions!" statement is actually pretty unAmerican if you think about it. There are homeless in our own country that are ignored, many of whom are veterans. You should care about them more than people who choose to disrespect our nation's immigration laws.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:01 AM

I'm saying that it's easy to judge others when you don't have to go through what they go through. Niger and Cambodia are a bit different because you don't just cross a border to get here from there. If Niger and Cambodia were our neighbors I don't think I would feel differently.

I'm not a huge fan of illegal immigrants either, but I don't think they should be denied living essentials like water, which was part of the idea of the original post.

As far as the homeless, I do give them money. I can't control the policies that are (or aren't) enacted to help them out.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:09 AM

346 posts, read 711,536 times
Well it's good that you care for the homeless then, that is admirable.

I understand that you can't judge someone unless you walk a mile in their shoes - but I also believe that coming to America won't help them. Why? Because why come here and face hostility - you are not wanted, and are cutting in line of many others who are waiting to do things the legal way. Instead, I believe they should stay at home and work hard. There ARE jobs available somewhere, they just choose not to look for them. It's easier to come to America, find a minimum wage job, and get assistance from the government via newly born US citizen children. Many illegal immigrants are hardworking people, but that does not justify their actions at all. They should stay in their countries and use their work ethic to make their country better. They are taking jobs away from our own citizens. We have to care for our own first.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
... but I don't think they should be denied living essentials like water, which was part of the idea of the original post.
There you go putting words in MY MOUTH AGAIN after you said you WEREN'T doing that!

Where did I say that those people should be denied water? I'm growing more than a little tired of this. DO NOT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH I DID NOT SAY!!!

I specifically addressed the fact that the "Art" Professor used GRANT money to build an app that HELPS illegal aliens. Even the title of this thread says THAT!

Taxpayer money funds the grants used by colleges. It really ticks me off that this professor used TAXPAYER money for something NOT related to education AT THE COLLEGE and has ZERO to do with ART.

I've asked you to stop putting words in my mouth. If you choose to do that again I WILL report the post to a Moderator.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:29 AM

The illegal immigrants are wanted by someone otherwise they wouldn't be getting jobs. We have to change business practices so that illegal immigrants aren't rewarded for coming here.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:30 AM

geek, what happens to the people if they don't have the app?

The title of your thread is about an app that helps illegal aliens. The help in this instance is defined as helping them find water right?

Old 09-06-2010, 02:34 AM

I guess the same thing that happened to them before the app existed.

Regardless of the apps purpose, that grant money should NOT have been used to pay for it. That Professor abused his position to develop an application not intended for use within the college and had nothing to do with art, and paid for by taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration