Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 11:36 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,992 times

Advertisements

I think that now (and even long ago) is the perfect and most logical time for our federal government to actually devote a stronger effort towards reducing and attacking illegal immigration. I thought of this as I was reading an article about how Mexicans are sending less money back to Mexico (this article was from about 4 years ago) and as I thought about the unemployment rate and the economy.

The reason it seems like the most appropriate and best time to me is that we will probably miss our chance as the economy comes back around and people from South of the Border (our biggest provider of undocumented people) will start overloading us again, setting up shop, bringing in more family and that cycle/circle of illegal immigration starts again. While that happens, while that circle is started again, our governments will have ran out of time to actually do something about it or have missed the chance to work on this issue while things probably a lot less busier. I am basing that on the fact that I have read that we have gone through some spans of time when undocumented Mexicans are less likely to come here because of lack of work for them. That is from memory. But, construction is down, the economy is overall bad at the moment and then, businesses are hiring less and this is not as attractive to the undocumented person.

So, what do you guys think? I think time is running out in this short span of time where we probably have less traffic along the border. Once the economy bounces back around (I don't think it will be like it was before for a long time), we won't have any measures inplace to handle the new flow that will be coming in response to a new and refreshed economy.

Are they working in Washington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:54 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Until we shut off the free social service "bait" they will keep sneaking in. For some reason "free" is enticing. We should have the military on our border.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:04 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,526,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Until we shut off the free social service "bait" they will keep sneaking in. For some reason "free" is enticing. We should have the military on our border.
I can't add anything to this

Old 09-19-2010, 09:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Yes - they need to be cut off from the many welfare programs. It's absurd that Americans are facing homelessness while illegals move right into Section 8 housing, all that is required of them is to give birth shortly after arriving and they're set for life.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:32 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,655,343 times
We've had over 300 years of immigration. We already have a plethora of laws concerning immigration.

The problem is ENFORCEMENT.

I'd rather spend money to kick the leeches out than to get billed for sitting down creating new laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration