Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:32 PM

19,039 posts, read 14,322,119 times

Advertisements

I guess it's time to learn Spanish. Sunday Night f'ball displayed graphics, team names in Spanish. The ads were still in English, though.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:58 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,319,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I guess it's time to learn Spanish. Sunday Night f'ball displayed graphics, team names in Spanish. The ads were still in English, though.
Not even all of the ads were in English. There were some that were completely in Spanish. I always think of how I speak Spanish, but I do see the forcing of Spanish and "Hispanic" culture on the nation. It makes no sense to put stats and ads in Spanish when the majority of your audience is not Spanish-speaking. Therefore, there is obviously an agenda going on there. The NFL isn't even made up of a majority or significant Hispanic-background player list, it is 4% Hispanic.

It is Hispanic Heritage Month though.

Every industry, a ton of companies are going after the "Hispanic" (whatever that means, it is such a misunderstood and misused term) demographic in order to make money.

Last edited by SoEdible; 09-26-2010 at 09:07 PM..

Old 09-26-2010, 09:06 PM

11,476 posts, read 11,180,455 times
Capitalistic whores! Gotta fold for the minotity population as usual. Why don't we just make all the Budweiser billboards in L.A. in spanish as well? They know their tatget audience well.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:18 PM

884 posts, read 719,007 times
I suppose if all us english speaking people boycotted the advertisers perhaps they would change their ads to english.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
I suppose if all us english speaking people boycotted the advertisers perhaps they would change their ads to english.
They would have no choice but to. I don't have a problem with the ads themselves, it's just all of the politics over this. It's not even beneficial to have the Spanish commercials and it is REALLY dumb to put your program graphics and text in Spanish when the majority of your audience is English speaking and most likely doesn't speak enough Spanish to know what is on the screen. I imagine they think it is "trendy" "cute" or "modern" to do that. I think someone in a board room brought it up and they went with it. Besides, Spanish-speaking people have the SAP option on their tv to get Spanish commentary, so why put Spanish on the English feed?

Old 09-27-2010, 12:34 AM

749 posts, read 1,869,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I got say on this one it does seem you guys are nitpicking. I mean really....we've got much BIGGER problems than this.

Yes, illegal immigration is a PROBLEM....terrorism a PROBLEM....the economy is a PROBLEM. but the NFL embracing Hispanic Heritage month is a non-issue.

There is even a college team called the FIGHTING IRISH. Why must we tolerate that. I mean this is NOT Ireland...this is the USA.

They even wear green uniforms and have a leprechaun running up and down the sidelines. Pretty soon they'll be forcing Guiness beer down our throats and making us pledge allegiance to the pope.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
I got say on this one it does seem you guys are nitpicking. I mean really....we've got much BIGGER problems than this.

Yes, illegal immigration is a PROBLEM....terrorism a PROBLEM....the economy is a PROBLEM. but the NFL embracing Hispanic Heritage month is a non-issue.

There is even a college team called the FIGHTING IRISH. Why must we tolerate that. I mean this is NOT Ireland...this is the USA.

They even wear green uniforms and have a leprechaun running up and down the sidelines. Pretty soon they'll be forcing Guiness beer down our throats and making us pledge allegiance to the pope.
How is a mascot and a school that is based on a large segment of the population's heritage at that time it was founded the same thing as switching to Spanish commentary, text and commercials on a television program that is majority viewed by English speakers? Basically, people are like "What the heck is this?" When the majority of the people are like, "Uh, what's going on here," you know that they have a fair argument. People just ain't buying it. That's just based on poll results, my interactions and conversations in daily life and the overall view of the changes we are seeing. The overall vibe isn't peachy.

I think that most people who think that this type of stuff is nit-picking aren't realizing that we are looking at the bigger picture. The results and effects of undocumented immigration have been social changes such as this that are the unfair result of ignoring illegal immigration over the decades. Nobody likes feeling taken advantage of or slapped in the face. I speak Spanish, but I can understand what it feels like to know that companies are trying to get profit off of the demographic change that has been the result of undocumented immigration. It is socially irresponsible to allow undocumented immigration go unchecked and to be ignored.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:28 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,360,620 times
Quote:

Do they have ads in Gaelic when Notre Dame (the Fighting Irish) are playing football? No, they are in English.

Hispanic Americans can speak English so whom are they trying to reach with their ads in Spanish?

When are we going to have Anglo heritage "month"?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:07 AM

749 posts, read 1,869,308 times
I will give you all credit....you don't let up for even a minute.

SoEdible: I see where you are coming from though I don't agree 100%.

Chicagonut: I thought the problem was illegal immigration but you seem more concerned and offended by Hispanics in general. "Anglo" heritage month.....that is every month of the year expcept for maybe Hispanic heritage month or Black heritage month. Do you have a problem with Black heritage month too?

I am going to stop this habit of coming to the illegal immigration forum....I am going to find something better to do with my time.

It's been nice talking with you all and I wish you the best.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:31 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,360,620 times
Quote:
I will give you all credit....you don't let up for even a minute.

SoEdible: I see where you are coming from though I don't agree 100%.

Chicagonut: I thought the problem was illegal immigration but you seem more concerned and offended by Hispanics in general. "Anglo" heritage month.....that is every month of the year expcept for maybe Hispanic heritage month or Black heritage month. Do you have a problem with Black heritage month too?

I am going to stop this habit of coming to the illegal immigration forum....I am going to find something better to do with my time.

It's been nice talking with you all and I wish you the best.
Where in any of my posts am I concerned and offended by law abiding Hispanics. Please point them out to me.

There is no "official" Anglo heritage month so I don't know what you are talking about. I would rather we stay united as Americans rather than singling out every group to acknowledge the heritage of their ancestors and that would include Anglos also. I am just saying if we are going to have a Hispanic, Asian, Black, etc. heritage month then Anglos should have one also.

Good, if you can't handle the heat then get out of the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration