Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 10:26 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,574,667 times

Advertisements

It’s only a matter of time. Eventually, illegals won't be able to fleece the taxpayers of this country through the despicable exploitation of their U.S.-born children.

Quote:
PHOENIX -- Lawmakers in at least 14 states announced Tuesday they are working on legislation to deny U.S. citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants, although they weren't specific about how they plan to do it.

Arizona Sen. Russell Pearce said he and the lawmakers have a working draft of their model legislation and have consulted constitutional scholars to change the 14th Amendment and deny automatic citizenship.
Lawmakers in 14 States Craft Bill to Deny Citizenship to 'Anchor Babies' - FoxNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 10:37 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,838,977 times
Quote:
PHOENIX -- Lawmakers in at least 14 states announced Tuesday they are working on legislation to deny U.S. citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants, although they weren't specific about how they plan to do it.

Arizona Sen. Russell Pearce said he and the lawmakers have a working draft of their model legislation and have consulted constitutional scholars to change the 14th Amendment and deny automatic citizenship.

Wait...Sen. Pearce is missing something here, or the writer of this piece does not know that "Legislation" can not "change" an Amendment to the Constitution.

I hope Sen. Pearce is not that naive...so this must be another Hack writer with little or no knowledge of the Constitution.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Wait...Sen. Pearce is missing something here, or the writer of this piece does not know that "Legislation" can not "change" an Amendment to the Constitution.

I hope Sen. Pearce is not that naive...so this must be another Hack writer with little or no knowledge of the Constitution.
Comprehension is key. Each state is drafting “legislation” which will be determined by constitutional scholars, who ultimately intend to assist in amending the Constitution to deny citizenship to children of illegal aliens.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Comprehension is key. Each state is drafting “legislation” which will be determined by constitutional scholars, who ultimately intend to assist in amending the Constitution to deny citizenship to children of illegal aliens.

LOL...I agree. but your typing it out long form doesnt change the fact...Legislation, whether by one or 14 states, can not change an Amendment to the constitution...I can not be any clearer.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
LOL...I agree. but your typing it out long form doesnt change the fact...Legislation, whether by one or 14 states, can not change an Amendment to the constitution...I can not be any clearer.
Given that I have not even remotely implied such, there is absolutely nothing to clarify. I gather you have no comments on the actual topic of this thread.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:40 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,962,747 times
Countries with modified jus soli laws:

UK:
- one parent must be a citizen or legal resident
- or the child lives in the UK until age 10

Australia:
- or the child lives in Australia until age 10

Republic of Ireland:
- one parent must be a citizen (of Ireland or the UK) or a legal resident

New Zealand:
- one parent must be a citizen (of NZ or Australia) or a legal resident

South Africa:
- one parent must be a citizen or a legal resident
- or 4 years of physical residency in SA

France:
- one parent born in France
- or at age 18, if resident in France with at least 5 years' residence since age 11

Germany:
- one parent must be a citizen or a legal resident for 3 years
- or parent has been residing in Germany for at least eight years.

Jus soli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-20-2010, 11:44 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,729,311 times
Benicar, why be so obtuse? I think the point is that if the constitution is changed, there will be no need for legislation in 14 states. If you want to deny citizenship to anchor babies, work to amend the constitution; legislation by the states is pointless.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,962,747 times
Quote:
legislation by the states is pointless.
I believe the objective is to introduce state legislation that will be challenged by the feds and hopefully lead to a Supreme Court re-interpretation of the 14th Amendment. A pressure tactic so they can issue state birth certificates stamped with "not a legal resident" and withhold state services. I don't understand that tactic as no matter how it is interpreted it is still a federal responsibility that the states can't legislate. A constitutional amendment is highly unlikely as it requires 2/3 majority in both Houses and 3/4 of all states (38) to ratify. In the end it won't go anywhere and is just state politicians trying to milk an emotional issue and ride a tea party wave to re-election.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Benicar, why be so obtuse? I think the point is that if the constitution is changed, there will be no need for legislation in 14 states. If you want to deny citizenship to anchor babies, work to amend the constitution; legislation by the states is pointless.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Countries with modified jus soli laws:

UK:
- or the child lives in the UK until age 10

Australia:
- or the child lives in Australia until age 10

Republic of Ireland:
- one parent must be a citizen (of Ireland or the UK) or a legal resident

New Zealand:
- one parent must be a citizen (of NZ or Australia) or a legal resident

South Africa:
- one parent must be a citizen or a legal resident
- or 4 years of physical residency in SA

France:
- one parent born in France
- or at age 18, if resident in France with at least 5 years' residence since age 11

Germany:
- one parent must be a citizen or a legal resident for 3 years
- or parent has been residing in Germany for at least eight years.

Jus soli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The United States of America:

- All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration