Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 02:05 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,582,349 times

Advertisements

I just love how denial of asylum signifies a “broken immigration system.” When will people accept the fact that we are not obligated to admit or retain every person in the world who desires the American Dream? As an adult, when a decision is made to violate the law, one must also assume responsibility for the consequences.

Quote:
AMERICAN FORK -- An American Fork man, originally from Argentina, is in jail. Though he's never been arrested before, he is in the custody of immigration officials. They are now in the process of deporting him, his wife and their two children.

When the Correa family left Argentina and came to Iowa in 2000, they did so legally on a visa waiver. They applied for asylum, but their petition was later rejected.
ksl.com - Problems with US immigration law highlighted by Utah family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 02:31 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,852,023 times
Yah, they came here legally - on a tourist waiver they fully intended to overstay. THAT makes their intent illegal - so bye bye

Being on a waiver they never even went through the "process" of being vetted as you do for any kind of normal visa.

It's not our immigration system that's "broken" it's that their expectations weren't met. Too bad, so sad. Also too bad the same criteria isn't applied to a few others here illegally. They've had a free ride for ten years, enough's enough. No sympathy here.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:31 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,965,509 times
In 2000 the family arrived in the US on a 90 day visitor visa (under the visa waiver program). Two years later they applied for asylum (based on anti-Mormon sentiment & threats in Argentina). An asylum petition is supposed to be filed within 12 months. A judge denied their petition and appeal in 2006.
Arguing that there are problems with the immigration system in this case is like arguing with a cop that everyone is speeding. I came into the US legally. I could have come in illegally 15 years earlier but understood the risks.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ists.html?pg=1

Old 10-27-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
In 2000 the family arrived in the US on a 90 day visitor visa (under the visa waiver program). Two years later they applied for asylum (based on anti-Mormon sentiment & threats in Argentina). An asylum petition is supposed to be filed within 12 months. A judge denied their petition and appeal in 2006.
Arguing that there are problems with the immigration system in this case is like arguing with a cop that everyone is speeding. I came into the US legally. I could have come in illegally 15 years earlier but understood the risks.
Deportation may shatter life of Argentine artists | Deseret News
Shall we give him a prize?

If he understood the risks of being here illegally then, he should understand the risks now. He is as illegal as those who cross our borders without permission, and deserving of nothing but deportation.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Shall we give him a prize?

If he understood the risks of being here illegally then, he should understand the risks now. He is as illegal as those who cross our borders without permission, and deserving of nothing but deportation.

I do believe Gary was talking about himself in that paragraph. He's saying he COULD have come in illegally but understood the consequences and waited until he could come here LEGALLY.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I do believe Gary was talking about himself in that paragraph. He's saying he COULD have come in illegally but understood the consequences and waited until he could come here LEGALLY.
Oh, thanks. I thought he was quoting the soon-to-be deported.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:57 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,965,509 times
I'm surprised that you guys haven't jumped all over this gift, this "Aha!", from the Correa's attorney. They should have had an anchor baby.

Flores said re-opening the case is not likely because the family does not meet all of the criteria, primarily that they have no U.S. citizen relatives that would be burdened by their removal.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:05 PM

They've already HAD more "chances" than they were entitled to.....overstaying the 90 day waiver already meant they were not legally able to "adjust status" and they have HAD hearings on their case that others in their situation have not had the benefit of having.

I'm sure there are doctors in Argentina that are able to treat Hep C, and I'm also sure there are plenty of high schools where the kids can complete their education, in their OWN country.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I'm surprised that you guys haven't jumped all over this gift, this "Aha!", from the Correa's attorney. They should have had an anchor baby.

Flores said re-opening the case is not likely because the family does not meet all of the criteria, primarily that they have no U.S. citizen relatives that would be burdened by their removal.
I would be willing to bet the farm, they don’t have anchors because they couldn’t.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
They've already HAD more "chances" than they were entitled to.....overstaying the 90 day waiver already meant they were not legally able to "adjust status" and they have HAD hearings on their case that others in their situation have not had the benefit of having.

I'm sure there are doctors in Argentina that are able to treat Hep C, and I'm also sure there are plenty of high schools where the kids can complete their education, in their OWN country.
How callous can you be? You know only the U.S. can treat medical conditions, and we are the only country offering a public school education. Have a heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration