Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 05:14 PM

50,605 posts, read 47,444,239 times

Advertisements

If this were senior citizens instead of children there would be a major uproar. If someone were collecting benefits on behalf of a senior and using that to partially or fully sustain themselves it would cause a huge investigation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 06:11 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,705,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
California Spends $21 Billion Annually to Support Undocumented Immigrants

I love it, "undocumented immigrants" PC speak for illegal alien scum..
I thought these criminals were supposed to be hardworking people who support themselves....

Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,481,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think there are some 99+ week out of workers who should take those jobs instead of protesting for yet another UE benefit extention from taxpayers.
They are going to have to cut UE off.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:51 PM

1,745 posts, read 967,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ten View Post
U.S. fast food caught in immigration crosshairs - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110207/us_nm/us_usa_immigration_fastfood - broken link)

QUOTE:
Alejandro, one of the Chipotle workers fired in Minnesota who asked that his last name not be published for fear of reprisals, worked there for five years and earned $9.42 per hour, taking home $1,200 a month. That allowed him to send up to $800 per month to his daughters to keep studying in Mexico. END QUOTE

Here's a question for all those who say these are jobs Americans won't do:

If there weren't millions of uneducated, low skilled poor illegal immigrants in this country, and businesses such as Chipotle HAD to only hire legal workers, do you think an employee after 5 years would be making more than $9.42/hour?

Unlimited illegal immigration has supressed wages at the lower end of the socio-economic scale for far too long. This is an aspect of the issue you would think that the Democratic Party, as the supposed party of the working class/average person would be all over. But they aren't. Only if you are a member of an officially sanctioned "victimized" group do they give a rats's a**.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,493,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Of this whole issue, all you came up was..."Live 20 to a two-bedroom home, ect.". deep thinking
Alright......you know so much, you let us how he manages to live on $400.00 a month.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:56 PM

53,378 posts, read 35,079,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think there are some 99+ week out of workers who should take those jobs instead of protesting for yet another UE benefit extention from taxpayers.
Absolutely.
Over on the unemployment forum there are scads of posts from people who are running out (or who have run out) of unemployment, and who have applied to fast food jobs only to be rejected. Americans need these jobs.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:50 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,181,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ten View Post
U.S. fast food caught in immigration crosshairs - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110207/us_nm/us_usa_immigration_fastfood - broken link)

QUOTE:
Alejandro, one of the Chipotle workers fired in Minnesota who asked that his last name not be published for fear of reprisals, worked there for five years and earned $9.42 per hour, taking home $1,200 a month. That allowed him to send up to $800 per month to his daughters to keep studying in Mexico. END QUOTE

Now how on earth does that person live on $400 a month? Yes, that was mostly rhetorical. I have some ideas on how he can manage that. Live 20 to a two-bedroom home, etc.
$400 doesn't come close to paying rent, food, transportation, etc. for an entire month. Something fishy here.
The wife's working too, besides they frequently work under one name, and collect welfare, housing, food stamps, etc. under another. There was a story about an illegal alien who required a note from her doctor for her employer. She asked the doctor to write the note for a name other than that which the doctor knew her by, because she was getting Medicaid under one name, while working under another. This is a common practice, and helps explain how they can appear to live on so little.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:10 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,495,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
The wife's working too, besides they frequently work under one name, and collect welfare, housing, food stamps, etc. under another. There was a story about an illegal alien who required a note from her doctor for her employer. She asked the doctor to write the note for a name other than that which the doctor knew her by, because she was getting Medicaid under one name, while working under another. This is a common practice, and helps explain how they can appear to live on so little.
If I did that, Id being in jail.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:16 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,318,118 times
I don't understand why it took so long for this perspective of illegal immigration to come up. I've said it before and I will say it again: I remember when illegal immigrants started coming to work in fast food restaurants when I was growing up and even when I was in college. We knew they were illegally here and working because they would tell us that they were. They would get double the hours that everyone else was doing and having being in those restaurants, I knew that it wasn't because the non-Hispanic or non-foreign workers were lazy.

Fast food or any other restaurant (it's not just fast food that illegal immigrants are working in, it's full service as well) are great jobs for a lot of people. We would have fun and it was very fast-paced. For some people, a fast food job is a full-time job, they get the hours or they are getting the hours AND managing. For others it is a part-time job while in college or to accompany a full-time job. Then for some, it is a high-school job that helps a high school student save up money for college or to buy some things for themselves every now and then to impress the high school crush.

Those opportunities for the legal resident and worker have been drastically cut because of the MASSIVE INFLUX of illegal immigrants who show up at these fast food restaurants looking for work. Do you all know how many illegal immigrants I worked with and then saw a manager have to tell someone who came in looking for work that was more than likely born here that there were no jobs available? That stuff ate me up, knowing that we had illegal workers, but when a U.S. Citizen comes in there is no work. Now, I was cool with the illegal immigrants, they were nice, but it still really seemed very dirty and I hated that they got to come here and take jobs from people who were born here.

Oh, one last thing, in regards to wages. The illegal immigrants were NOT working "jobs Americans won't do." Most of the time all they had to do was prepare food, clean and do prep. They did this for 8 - 10 hours a day, making like $6.25 - $9. Then they would go to another job and do it all over. I had one guy working with me that would pull out his wallet to show us how much he made that week. U.S. bills ... acquired via illegal means. Dirty money. Also, there was no "long, hard work," like the person in the article is quoted as saying. We had the easiest jobs at times and sometimes there would be lots of hanging around waiting for the next customer. So, that excuse that illegal immigrants are needed because they work hard is losing its credibility and purpose. I really wish people would stop saying that lie.

Last edited by SoEdible; 02-10-2011 at 05:36 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 05:25 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,318,118 times
Quote:
As for Tanya and Alejandro, they are fairly confident they will get new jobs in restaurants or factories in Minneapolis, but they probably won't get the good salary or long run they had at Chipotle.
Unbelieveable. They just don't get it, none of the illegal immigrants do. How are you going to act as though it is OK for you to just go around looking for work after you just got busted for being here illegally? It doesn't matter that you got mouths to feed or anything like that. They put themselves in this situation and in this country, there is no sympathy that makes it OK for them to get away with illegal activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration