Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:32 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,589,502 times

Advertisements

Utter BS.

Quote:
As proposed, House Bill 1202 would create tough state punishments for those who "intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly" hire an unauthorized immigrant. Violators could face up to two years in jail and a fine of up to $10,000.

But it is an exception included in the bill that is drawing attention. Those who hire unauthorized immigrants would be in violation of the law -- unless they are hiring a maid, a lawn caretaker or another houseworker.
Texas immigration bill has big exception - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 02:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,359,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Agreed, it's ridiculous.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:21 PM

851 posts, read 3,630,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Agreed, it's ridiculous.

It is ridiculous but do you know how to verify someone's legal status?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:27 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,359,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
It is ridiculous but do you know how to verify someone's legal status?
E-verify unfortunately is not available to the general public.

I get around it by not hiring foreigners to work in/on my home. A couple of times, agencies or companies have sent foreigners to my house and I have had them whip out their IDs or have called the company to ask if they have performed the requisite immigration status check on so and so. Unfortunately I have to take their word for it but I have reported suspected illegals to ICE (and the companies they work for) and will continue to do so.

The man who cuts my grass IS from Mexico, but also has a legally issued green card. I don't want to get the ICE agent in trouble who looked that one up for me.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:31 PM

8,650 posts, read 9,164,677 times
You don't want to convict the well healed do you? Right there in the bill it seems to say the wealthy are most likely guilty of hiring illegals, so we don't want to **** them off.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:49 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,813,854 times
Quote:
It sounds stupid at first, but yeah it does seem a bit hard for a normal homeowner to try and figure out someone's status. Guess I can live with this one.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:20 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,338,712 times
Quote:
That IS BS! Those are jobs that Americans will do. Why are they being made an exception?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:29 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,318,269 times
Quote:
Who hires maids, gardeners, and other houseworkers? People with upper middle or upper class incomes. Coincidently these are the people that also make big personal political contributions.

The law is clearly designed to protect a certain class of people from prosecution.

Texas justice, gotta love it.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:41 PM

37,973 posts, read 17,926,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Who hires maids, gardeners, and other houseworkers? People with upper middle or upper class incomes. Coincidently these are the people that also make big personal political contributions.

The law is clearly designed to protect a certain class of people from prosecution.

Texas justice, gotta love it.
last paragraph explains it imo
go fishing in the big pond to catch the big fish

"It is an admittedly clumsy first attempt to say, 'We are really focusing on the big businesses,'" English said. Texans shouldn't be punished for hiring lawn care companies who hire unauthorized immigrants, he said, according to the Texas Tribune's website."

Old 03-02-2011, 04:36 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,338,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
last paragraph explains it imo
go fishing in the big pond to catch the big fish

"It is an admittedly clumsy first attempt to say, 'We are really focusing on the big businesses,'" English said. Texans shouldn't be punished for hiring lawn care companies who hire unauthorized immigrants, he said, according to the Texas Tribune's website."
Then it isn't the regular Texan citizen who is responsible. It is the company who sends these illegal workers out. It is their responsibility to see that their workers are authorized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration