Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:12 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,700,576 times

Advertisements

I am an immigrant myself but I strongly oppose giving citizenship to children born here of legal/illegal people living in USA. It makes complete sense. I wish our lawmakers do something. Chidren born to foreign student living in USA should apply for student dependent visa, not US citizenship. Businesses, agricultural farms hiring illegals should be asked to pay hefty fines like 10000 dollars for every illegal hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,758,123 times
Yesterday I had to take my child to the doctor. She was running a 102 fever, complained of vertigo and nausea and needed to be seen. I walked in, hadn't even sat down and was asked for my copay -- no hello, no pleasantries. $45 later I sat down and waited for my child to be seen. A few minutes later a short, squat brown woman with two young children, very close in age, strolled in and was greeted by the desk clerk in Spanish. No request for copay, nothing. The children bounced around the office, singing children's songs (in Spanish) while playing with the toys.

We were taken in, the Spanish speaking woman behind us. We sat in the exam room waiting to see the doctor and overheard the room adjacent to us -- the doctor speaking through the desk clerk/interpreter to the Spanish speaking woman. She was seen ahead of us and left before us -- despite our being on time for our appointment and my daughter being visibly ill.

On the way out, I stopped at the desk to request the prescription be called ahead to the pharmacy. The Spanish speaking woman's children's charts were on her desk, very visible and the insurance (Medicaid) info written across the top.

I have been using this practice for close to 20 years and have never been treated so poorly. Today I've asked friends who they use for their pediatrician. Perhaps when he loses enough patients who pay their bills he will think twice about how he and his office staff treat all patients.

(FWIW the doctor charges $50 for a regular office visit. My copay is almost the full cost of a visit, so we can't fault low insurance reimbursement.)

Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 AM

573 posts, read 972,195 times
This is about votes, once the voters who want illegals deported far outnumber those who want them to stay will there be any action on this. Politicians support these people because there is a large voting bloc who have ties to the illegal immigrant community.

Last edited by stevebri; 03-29-2011 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 02:02 PM

50,478 posts, read 47,209,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Yesterday I had to take my child to the doctor. She was running a 102 fever, complained of vertigo and nausea and needed to be seen. I walked in, hadn't even sat down and was asked for my copay -- no hello, no pleasantries. $45 later I sat down and waited for my child to be seen. A few minutes later a short, squat brown woman with two young children, very close in age, strolled in and was greeted by the desk clerk in Spanish. No request for copay, nothing. The children bounced around the office, singing children's songs (in Spanish) while playing with the toys.

We were taken in, the Spanish speaking woman behind us. We sat in the exam room waiting to see the doctor and overheard the room adjacent to us -- the doctor speaking through the desk clerk/interpreter to the Spanish speaking woman. She was seen ahead of us and left before us -- despite our being on time for our appointment and my daughter being visibly ill.

On the way out, I stopped at the desk to request the prescription be called ahead to the pharmacy. The Spanish speaking woman's children's charts were on her desk, very visible and the insurance (Medicaid) info written across the top.

I have been using this practice for close to 20 years and have never been treated so poorly. Today I've asked friends who they use for their pediatrician. Perhaps when he loses enough patients who pay their bills he will think twice about how he and his office staff treat all patients.

(FWIW the doctor charges $50 for a regular office visit. My copay is almost the full cost of a visit, so we can't fault low insurance reimbursement.)
We've been dealing with this in border Cities for over 20 years.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:29 PM

93 posts, read 139,092 times
i did not mean literal foodstamps, let me clarify EBT cards. Are you happy now? And i understand that anchor babies are Americans by definition.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:31 PM

93 posts, read 139,092 times
I hear you. And to make you feel better you need to tell people that ILLEGAL IS NOT A RACE.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:49 PM

187 posts, read 182,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You are certainly not alone. It makes me sick to my stomach. It will be interesting to see how many politicians jump on the amnesty bandwagon now that the Hispanic advocates have made it clear that only politicians who support the “immigrants” will have a chance of winning an election. Soon, we will see their true colors.
just think of it as another interest group, to join the ranks of the gun laws enemies, christian coalition, etc.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:50 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,072,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Barreras View Post
I hear you. And to make you feel better you need to tell people that ILLEGAL IS NOT A RACE.
Neither is Hispanic. We have plenty of illegals from around the globe wandering about on expired visas.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:25 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,582,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
How are "anchor babies" not "our" children...You do know "anchor babies" are American citizens? right?

Nice touch...the "welfare mother in the Cadilac buying T-bone steaks at the market" has been a tried and true arguement against welfare since the 70's. Nice incorporating in the illegal immigration issue of today.

PS FYI, there are no longer "foodstamps", food stamps were coupons used to purchase food goods. Most states use EBT cards and combine benefits on a one card.

I know of Health care providers, friends and relatives using the card holder's EBT card to shop for an ill, handicaped, and/or elderly person.

"Seeing" is not "knowing", if you have personal knowledge of any person defrauding the program, there are avenues for you to report fraud.

Then your “healthcare providers, friends, and relatives” are wrong. Yes, today, most use cards. However, I have witnessed grocery clerks accepting paper documents from food stamp recipients.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:26 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,334,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
This is about votes, once the voters who want illegals deported far outnumber those who want them to stay will there be any action on this. Politicians support these people because there is a large voting bloc who have ties to the illegal immigrant community.
Yes, it is about votes especially the Democrats. But I am beginning to wonder if they all failed math because there are far more Americans opposed to illegal immigration and that do not have family ties to illegal aliens than the other way around. The only thing I can figure out is that they hope to make citizens out of these illegals and therefore gain a large voting bloc in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration