Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 08:44 AM

6 posts, read 23,144 times

Advertisements

When it comes to illegal immigration, we as legal Americans can and should take matters into our own hands. Stop purchasing products from small local businesses that employ illegals, stop hiring service companies (lawn maintenance, contractors, etc) that employ illegals. It may not be easy but well worth the effort. Ask to see the papers, if they don't have them, well ADIOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 08:52 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,719 times
I'm with you on this. I stop buying any products from Mexico and I will not do business with those that look like they hire illegals. (Tyson, WalMart are a couple)

Old 07-29-2007, 09:26 AM

6 posts, read 23,144 times
It's not just Mexico either. I try when possible to stop buying anything made overseas. I don't care if it's a few bucks more. I'll gladly pay a bit more for local products. It's the only answer.....now to convince the rest of America to wake the hell up. That's another story!!

Old 07-29-2007, 09:44 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR65 View Post
It's not just Mexico either. I try when possible to stop buying anything made overseas. I don't care if it's a few bucks more. I'll gladly pay a bit more for local products. It's the only answer.....now to convince the rest of America to wake the hell up. That's another story!!
I'm with you on that. I will NEVER purchase anything made in China and all these products coming from 3rd world countries use chemicals that are harmful. It will take a few more people being poisoned or having died from these imports to wake up but it's in the news.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:58 PM

562 posts, read 660,403 times
Quote:
When it comes to illegal immigration, we as legal Americans can and should take matters into our own hands. Stop purchasing products from small local businesses that employ illegals, stop hiring service companies (lawn maintenance, contractors, etc) that employ illegals. It may not be easy but well worth the effort. Ask to see the papers, if they don't have them, well ADIOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Better yet, find a place that has a bunch of illegals working there, then go to a pay phone and call INS..... Then go back to the place and see what happens. If an INS rep doesn't show with an hour, go back and call them again and ask where they are. Make sure you get the persons name you talked to the first time so you can say "Well I called here an hour ago and spoke with this person reporting these illegals, and so far nothing has been done. Shall I call the local news station?" Then see what happens..... haha

Old 07-30-2007, 02:31 AM

180 posts, read 122,177 times
Quote:
I agree with this. Also, I’d like to add that this is a side of the problem that’s seldom brought up; maybe because it implies that there’s more than enough blame to go around.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:04 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
I'm with you on that. I will NEVER purchase anything made in China and all these products coming from 3rd world countries use chemicals that are harmful. It will take a few more people being poisoned or having died from these imports to wake up but it's in the news.
We live in a time where the economy has become global, that will not change. That issue is separate from illegal aliens. Ford has plants in Mexico and Canada, Toyota here. Which is more American? McDonalds derives over 60% of its sales outside of the US. Is it a US company or a global company. The lines have become fuzzy.

The answer to illegal workers is not rounding them up, but arresting those who employ them, with substantial penalties.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:17 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,435,285 times
Default Don't want to be a "smart a**" here, but...

I don't want to support illegal employees and their employers either. But, it's going on worldwide...and I have no say on WHERE my dollars actually go.
If I am buying American made products...the risk is there, that illegal immigrants had something to do with producing/ handling those products. And, if I buy an foreign made product, that chance exists as well.
HELP....... how do I KNOW????
The only solution, start I see, to address this on a worldwide scale is, HEAVY, HEAVY FINES for employers internationally!

Old 07-30-2007, 06:51 AM

764 posts, read 1,457,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcop View Post
We live in a time where the economy has become global, that will not change. That issue is separate from illegal aliens. Ford has plants in Mexico and Canada, Toyota here. Which is more American? McDonalds derives over 60% of its sales outside of the US. Is it a US company or a global company. The lines have become fuzzy.

The answer to illegal workers is not rounding them up, but arresting those who employ them, with substantial penalties.
YES! Industry’s hypocrisy knows no bounds. The lack of creativity to find ways to employ Americans is such a miserable choice on the part of corporate America. As long as we have choices, we can choose with whom we do business. And our elected representatives can do their jobs and motivate employers to apply their skills to create ways to do what needs to be done with our present populace.

We MUST become net exporters of American-made goods and services to bring capital in. You’re correct, crashcop, the global economy is a permanent fixture. Employers CAN be competitive in the global market—and in the domestic market as well—but they simply don’t need to expend the energy to get creative when it’s so much easier to scam the tax system and get rich.

There are many fronts to address in this immigration problem.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:45 AM

354 posts, read 325,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanGuy View Post
I agree with this. Also, I’d like to add that this is a side of the problem that’s seldom brought up; maybe because it implies that there’s more than enough blame to go around.
You are right of course but then in an other thread you flat out told me that it is not the fault of the illegal. That is where you get off into some never, never land and it shows that you want and do blame everything on American and refuse to accept any responsobility as a mexican. No matter what goes on up in this country, the illegal has a choice and they make the choices to come up here illegally and it shows that they don't think twice about breaking the law if they can get what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration