Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:54 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times

Advertisements

"Hispanic and immigration activists had held out hope that with the election behind him, Rubio might return to some of the more moderate positions he staked out as a state lawmaker. Instead, they’re now seething after Rubio hardened his opposition to the DREAM Act and continues to repeat the harsh rhetoric of the right wing, dismissing anything other than border and workplace enforcement as “amnesty” for illegal immigrants".

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/55467.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 06:05 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...opposition to the DREAM Act and continues to repeat the harsh rhetoric of the right wing, dismissing anything other than border and workplace enforcement as “amnesty” for illegal immigrants".
ha!
Border and workplace enforcement is the moderate position...
and is mostly a sideshow in any case

Changing the Constitution to fix the overly broad language of the 14th and changing the visa policies? Now you're getting somewhere that has some meat on the bones.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:35 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
A politician who, after being elected doesn't follow the rhetoric of his election campaign......

One would think after all these years of seeing politicians doing this it would come as no surprise.

On the illegal alien front it's great to see another politician come out against these invaders.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
A politician who, after being elected doesn't follow the rhetoric of his election campaign......

One would think after all these years of seeing politicians doing this it would come as no surprise.

On the illegal alien front it's great to see another politician come out against these invaders.
Note how Rubio is seen as a traitor to his own kind by the Hispanic activists? It just keeps reinforcing my belief about their tribal mentality. I won't hold my breath that Rubio will continue to speak out against amnesty/legalization/Dream Act. He will probably flip-flop just like the rest of them somewhere down the line.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
What really irks me about the Dream Act types is that most of them are from Mexico - but I and plenty of American students have studied in Mexico. It is actually a wonderful experience. Mexico has a lot of history, the archeological sites alone are fantastic field trips.

It's almost beyond belief that these people are so opposed to living in their own country that they can't even see the positives.

The truth is, an educated Mexican citizen does not live in a dirt floor shack made of wood pallets and corrugated tin roofs. They live a pretty high standard of living, but also the Mexican universities and schools are not terrible. They can be very interesting, some of the campuses are beautiful.

But no -- better to rant and rave and stomp your feet and insist your own country is so horrendous you can't possibly go there to study.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What really irks me about the Dream Act types is that most of them are from Mexico - but I and plenty of American students have studied in Mexico. It is actually a wonderful experience. Mexico has a lot of history, the archeological sites alone are fantastic field trips.

It's almost beyond belief that these people are so opposed to living in their own country that they can't even see the positives.

The truth is, an educated Mexican citizen does not live in a dirt floor shack made of wood pallets and corrugated tin roofs. They live a pretty high standard of living, but also the Mexican universities and schools are not terrible. They can be very interesting, some of the campuses are beautiful.

But no -- better to rant and rave and stomp your feet and insist your own country is so horrendous you can't possibly go there to study.
Mexico needs these educated students with aspirations to attain a higher education. They would be contributing members to their middle class instead of the dirt poor that you have described.

It is the same old type of excuse that their parents and their kids were starving in Mexico. It just doesn't fly with me when you see the pictures of these illegal aliens crossing our border and how well fed they look and the fact that their unemployment rates are less than half of ours. Low wages, yes, starving, no.

I hope Rubio doesn't flip-flop on any of the illegal immigration issues. Time will tell.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 AM

587 posts, read 1,134,910 times
Rubio is only playing the immigration game with people from Mexico, Central and South America.....but, he's all for granted asylum to as many cubans who can make it over to dry land.....I betcha thats a position he will never back away from, or he will bite the hand that fed his azz into office..

Old 05-25-2011, 11:57 AM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
Rubio is only playing the immigration game with people from Mexico, Central and South America.....but, he's all for granted asylum to as many cubans who can make it over to dry land.....I betcha thats a position he will never back away from, or he will bite the hand that fed his azz into office..

All illegal Aliens should be treated the same way. Same as what Mexico does, round them up and deport them!

Old 05-25-2011, 12:14 PM

50,277 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Mexico needs these educated students with aspirations to attain a higher education. They would be contributing members to their middle class instead of the dirt poor that you have described.

It is the same old type of excuse that their parents and their kids were starving in Mexico. It just doesn't fly with me when you see the pictures of these illegal aliens crossing our border and how well fed they look and the fact that their unemployment rates are less than half of ours. Low wages, yes, starving, no.

I hope Rubio doesn't flip-flop on any of the illegal immigration issues. Time will tell.
Everyone needs to read this:

Mexico's Expats Unite - EVERYONE LIVING IN MEXICO SHOULD READ THIS

Old 05-25-2011, 01:41 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Very interesting. Thanks for posting. Now, can someone explain why U.S. taxpayers are supporting millions of Mexican illegal aliens, while Mexico is growing economically by leaps and bounds?

Quote:
Another large exodus from the U.S.A is high paying skilled jobs. The job shift in automobile sector, both car and parts manufacturing, is already known by most investors. In the last few months as John Deere and Caterpillar have been laying off thousands of workers in the U.S.A., and hiring equal numbers in Mexico. The most recent industry that is making the shift is the aerospace manufacturers. In the city of Zacatecas there is currently a $210 million aerospace facility being built. With the 11 U.S. companies moving there, it is estimated to provide over 200,000 new high paying jobs in the coming years.

Mexico has avoided completely the subprime problem that has devastated the U.S. banking industry. The Mexican banks are healthy and profitable. Mexico has a growing and very healthy middle and upper middle class.

Mexico is currently sitting on a cash surplus and an almost balanced budget.

Mexico, with the world's 13th largest GDP, is no longer a "Third World Country", but rather a fast growing, economically secure state, as the most recent five-year history of its financial markets when compared to the U.S.A.'s financial markets suggests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration