Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:39 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,682,183 times

Advertisements

To the OP....What is our unemployment rate?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:19 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
To the OP....What is our unemployment rate?
Don't hold your breath for an answer. The 2 new posters are
sympathizers from the "mental Health" forum, who popped in here
just to get our reactions.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:04 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,588,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsweetpea View Post
It has been shown that illegal immigrants are helping the economy by working. They take jobs that many Americans would not take. Therefore, many businesses in the country have stayed in operation because of the illegal immigrants that work in the unsanitary conditions, low wage jobs. Even though they are here illegally they are helping our economy. Also, most people do not take into account that illegal immigrants, especially from Mexico, come here in order to support their families in Mexico where there are no jobs. Part of the reason there are no jobs goes back through the history of the International Monetary Fund, which the US is a main orchestrator of, bailing Mexico out of debt in the 1980s only if they adopted our economic model of capitalism, along with many other requirements. The US is one of the reasons that mexicans can not find jobs in mexico to support their families; hence, they come to the United States to find ways to protect and provide for their families. Illegal immigrants are simply looking for what we as Americans want, survival and well being of our families.
You need to do your homework.

Quote:
The unemployment rate in Mexico was last reported at 5.1 percent in April of 2011. From 2000 until 2010, Mexico's Unemployment Rate averaged 3.45 percent reaching an historical high of 5.93 percent in May of 2009 and a record low of 2.22 percent in November of 2002.
Mexico Unemployment Rate

Quote:
Feb. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Mexico’s gross domestic product expanded last year at the fastest pace in a decade as Latin America’s second-biggest economy recovered from a 2009 recession provoked by the global financial crisis.
Mexico Economy Expanded 5.5% in 2010, Most in 10 Years - Businessweek

Old 06-09-2011, 10:53 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,493,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheels1 View Post
I think they are taking a good portion of the American jobs. They take the low paying jobs that most americans do not care to do. Most illegal immagrants will do any kind of work to survive and provide for their family. Americans on the other hand have so much pride that some jobs are beneath them, even if it means suppoting their family.
Really? Your simple and misinformed comments do not come any where near being valid or reasonable explanations for your beliefs.

Which jobs, exactly, are you talking about? Just in case you are not aware of the truth, some of our biggest companies have been caught and fined for hiring illegals, like McDonalds and Walmart. The problem isn't Americans being "too proud" to do these jobs, its the greed of corporations who have decided that they would rather pay an illegal $2 or $5 dollars less an hour to do the jobs that in the past AMERICANS were more than happy to do.

Construction work - my brother-in-law did this work for 15 years but was forced to turn to another trade when illegals became the preferred choice of construction employers.

Flipping burgers and taking customer orders - nearly every person I grew up with in highschool was employed by a McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, etc... These were always traditional jobs for teenagers who wanted to make some money for personal expenses or to save up for college or a car. Most often, those employed as managers at these companies were adults helping to support their own families and pay the bills.

Cleaning jobs/Maid services - I have done this work in the past and quite enjoy it! My good friend whom I've known for 29 years went to work as a cleaner for a local hotel over 15 years ago and is still employed with them. It enabled her to get out of a bad marriage and support herself and her children.

Agricultural work - again, I have done this. I picked cotton in Arizona and also worked on a local dairy cattle ranch. Matter of fact, I knew quite a few Americans who would also help during the cotton-picking season. I also managed a very large grapevine which was grown for raisins.

Here is the difference between American employees and illegal immigrants... in most American households there are generally only two adults, and in many cases only one, who are working to pay the bills, rent/mortgage and food. In an illegal household there can be up to 20 or more members of an extended family living in the same home and sharing the expenses. With that many people working it is easy to take a much lower wage, while living better than most hard working Americans.

Look outside your little, cramped box to see the real world.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:33 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,872,987 times
I can't imagine which jobs would be too dangerous or unsanitary. ALL businesses in this country are regulated by the government for cleanliness as well as safety.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I can't imagine which jobs would be too dangerous or unsanitary. ALL businesses in this country are regulated by the government for cleanliness as well as safety.
Have you seen how nasty the bathrooms in Walmart are? I would rather have Walmart pay an American a decent wage to clean the facilities than be forced to suffer the lower cleaning standards these illegals bring with them. My husband is a facilities manager at a large company, with seven women's and seven men's bathrooms and the only bathrooms he has problems with, on a daily basis, are the ones used predominantly by Hispanic FEMALES. They damage the stalls by pulling toilet paper dispensers off the walls, they leave used, filthy toilet paper on the floor, they have defecated not just ON the toilet seats, but on the floor, and then SMEARED it into the tiles, and they regularly clog and overflow the toilets. The owner of the company has held numerous seminars for employees about hygiene and cleanliness, but they don't listen. Its like a game with them. These particular female employees are the children of illegal immigrants who have been raised here. So much for assimilating, huh? And these are the people companies want to hire over Americans to maintain sanitary conditions?

And for the record, one of my husband's assistants is a Hispanic male and he is the one who thinks he is too good to deal with these disgusting bathroom issues. The white and Asian assistants don't complain, they just do the job.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:55 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Quote:
I can't imagine which jobs would be too dangerous or unsanitary.
ALL businesses in this country are regulated by the government for cleanliness as well as safety.
I agree with you there. But these days that has alot to do with which generation your from too.

You know, some people don't like to get their hands dirty.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:00 PM

44 posts, read 42,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I agree with you there. But these days that has alot to do with which generation your from too.

You know, some people don't like to get their hands dirty.
I agree with you about younger generations, but how are we supposed to show them that you truly work for your money when the "dirty" work is taken?

Old 06-09-2011, 03:07 PM

5 posts, read 6,501 times
It maybe the greed of the American corportation that help the illegal immigrants, but the fact that they are willing to work for a few dollars less says they will do what is necessary to take care of their families. most illegal immigrants do live with other family members, but they work together to help each other get houses. they pool their resources together than most Americans. They do alot of constuction work, probally cheaper than anyone else, but i have found that they are willing to work the long hours includng Saturday and Sunday to get the job done. most Americans don't want to put in the extra work to get the job done.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheels1 View Post
It maybe the greed of the American corportation that help the illegal immigrants, but the fact that they are willing to work for a few dollars less says they will do what is necessary to take care of their families. most illegal immigrants do live with other family members, but they work together to help each other get houses. they pool their resources together than most Americans. They do alot of constuction work, probally cheaper than anyone else, but i have found that they are willing to work the long hours includng Saturday and Sunday to get the job done. most Americans don't want to put in the extra work to get the job done.
That's bulls**t, and you know it! They band together because it is the only way they can get a house as illegals with the lower wages they get paid. If I shared a house with all of my family members we, too, would be able to afford the brand new cars, the big houses and the designer label clothes. But Americans are brought up to be independent and not to rely on others to support us. Before this gross influx of illegal immigrants the average American family did just fine surviving with fair wages. Now, illegals have dropped the wage down to such a low point that most families cannot survive on the crap wages employers are offering. Its insulting that those who have many years of experience are being expected to accept the same low poverty wage as uneducated and inexperienced illegals.

If these illegals are such fine, hard workers, let them take their entire family of children, cousins and other relatives BACK to where they came from and pool their resourses there. If they can do it here, then they can do it there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration