Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 03:32 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,327,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheels1 View Post
It maybe the greed of the American corportation that help the illegal immigrants, but the fact that they are willing to work for a few dollars less says they will do what is necessary to take care of their families. most illegal immigrants do live with other family members, but they work together to help each other get houses. they pool their resources together than most Americans. They do alot of constuction work, probally cheaper than anyone else, but i have found that they are willing to work the long hours includng Saturday and Sunday to get the job done. most Americans don't want to put in the extra work to get the job done.
No, it says they are willing to break the law and steal jobs they have no right to by undercutting Americans for less pay. What about our American families? Don't they count?

Thanks, for mentioning the contruction jobs they are stealing also. Are those jobs Americans have never done for a fair wage before the arrival of cheap, illegal labor? I know many Americans who work long hours including weekends.

So you think it is ok for them to jump our borders, break our immigration laws and steal jobs from Americans so they can feed their families while an American can't feed theirs because these illegals have stolen their jobs? All the while we have to pick up the tab for their social costs? WTH? Whose country is this anyway?

Old 06-09-2011, 03:41 PM

5 posts, read 3,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I understand that the economy in Mexico is getting better but we are the reason that it got to be so bad and that is what I am trying to show. Also, Mexico's economy is doing better in large part to the remittances that illegal workers here send back home. I am not saying it is right to be an illegal immigrant but they are just trying to survive like we are, and why recently has it become such a big problem, why was it not before? because americans are looking to blame someone for the economic downfall, when really we should be blaming the government and all of the bail outs of corporations!

Old 06-09-2011, 03:59 PM

111 posts, read 97,755 times
Pretty much anyone who says illegals only do jobs americans wont do don't know what they are talking about. Some do jobs americans don't want to do like working on a farm. Lots of them do construction, plumbing etc those are jobs americans WILL do. They drive illegally, they trash neighborhoods and houses, they join gangs, they are rude and think its their right to come here and do what ever they want, they use our public services on our dime. I don't care if the economy is good or bad they are still illegal and they aren't our problem. People in africa have it 10x worse than people in mexico or guatemala so I think they will manage.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:00 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,838,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
One of the biggest problems is that they have children, that can vote. At that point they rally with their illegal brethren and demand things like carving up a district for more representatives.........and services that the rest of us "legal" Citizens pay for.Coalition Calls For Second Latino City Council District | KPBS.org

This is all DIRECTLY a problem created by illegal immigration.
What exactly is the "problem"?

Old 06-09-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsweetpea View Post
I understand that the economy in Mexico is getting better but we are the reason that it got to be so bad and that is what I am trying to show. Also, Mexico's economy is doing better in large part to the remittances that illegal workers here send back home. I am not saying it is right to be an illegal immigrant but they are just trying to survive like we are, and why recently has it become such a big problem, why was it not before? because americans are looking to blame someone for the economic downfall, when really we should be blaming the government and all of the bail outs of corporations!
So, they wanting to survive just like we do justifies them breaking our immigration and labor laws and passing on their social costs to "we" the taxpayer? It is just like having a small cut it is not a major threat unless it becomes infected. Illegal immigration has reached epidemic proportions now with millions of Americans out of work and our states going bankrupt supporting illegal aliens.

We have many problems in this country just because there are others doesn't mean we shouldn't address the problem of illegal immigration.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras View Post
Pretty much anyone who says illegals only do jobs americans wont do don't know what they are talking about. Some do jobs americans don't want to do like working on a farm. Lots of them do construction, plumbing etc those are jobs americans WILL do. They drive illegally, they trash neighborhoods and houses, they join gangs, they are rude and think its their right to come here and do what ever they want, they use our public services on our dime. I don't care if the economy is good or bad they are still illegal and they aren't our problem. People in africa have it 10x worse than people in mexico or guatemala so I think they will manage.
Even for farm jobs there are unlimited visas for legal foreign workers where an American worker can't be found, so that excuse doesn't fly either.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,151 times
Okay everyone...if we are really so tired of talking about this topic, why are there other posts and threads...and now the big question: what's the next step? Reconcile with the point that we are all immigrants except the Indians (did we ask them if they wanted to be called Native Americans or did we assign them that label as we assigned the land they live on?). So, how can any of us talk like we own something and someone is trying to take something away from us... the Americans. Again...just asking...who are the "real" Americans...and are the real Americans ashamed of the history of this country of taking from everyone listed in the "other" category....or is it still our hidden shame to condemn anyone who is different from the face we see in the mirror...Real Americans...please stand up!

Old 06-09-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDA1858 View Post
Okay everyone...if we are really so tired of talking about this topic, why are there other posts and threads...and now the big question: what's the next step? Reconcile with the point that we are all immigrants except the Indians (did we ask them if they wanted to be called Native Americans or did we assign them that label as we assigned the land they live on?). So, how can any of us talk like we own something and someone is trying to take something away from us... the Americans. Again...just asking...who are the "real" Americans...and are the real Americans ashamed of the history of this country of taking from everyone listed in the "other" category....or is it still our hidden shame to condemn anyone who is different from the face we see in the mirror...Real Americans...please stand up!
Sorry, no, most Americans are not immigrants. They were born here which makes them natives, not immigrants. Even the native indians were immigrants from somewhere else. They didn't sprout up out of the ground like corn. Those invading our country from south of our border are not indigenous to this country anyway.

Why did you feel the need to pull the race card? What does racism have to do with our right to have and to enforce our immigration laws just like every other country does? We already have every race/ethnic group living here legally so just who is here that looks different than any other American? This is about our laws, not race.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:57 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsweetpea View Post
Oh, so their corrupt government should not be held accountable? No, we are not responsible for the problems in Mexico, but we are certainly responsible for their current prosperity. Their unemployment rate remains low primarily due to dumping their uneducated population on hardworking U.S. taxpayers. Imagine how our economy would grow if we could dump 10% of the population of the U.S. on the taxpayers of Canada, and have them provide our citizens with a tax-funded K-12 education, pre/post-natal care, WIC, welfare, subsidized housing, medical care, etc. And, yes, illegal aliens from Mexico send billions in remittances MONTHLY to Mexico, while our own economy is sinking. I don’t know about you, but I would rather see this country prosper.

Let them “try to survive” in their own country. After all, their economy is booming.

This is not a new issue. If you think it was not a problem until recently, you have been asleep. However, it has now become a nationwide epidemic. Yes, our government is crap. But, it cannot be denied that illegal immigration is indeed one of many factors contributing to our economic problems. Are you suggesting we should ignore it?

Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDA1858 View Post
Oh, please. The “we are all immigrants” mantra is so trite; as is the race card. As a “real” American, I proudly stand up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.