Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:33 PM

192 posts, read 115,631 times

Advertisements

Jaywalkers have no respect for our culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 03:48 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,487,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
And these citizen cosignatories to the rental agreement, they're completely untrackable, too? I mean, isn't that the point of a co-signer? To have someone reputable to go after if the dodgy person skips out?
Yes, but if they have been required to pay double security that will generally cover the costs of any damages or unpaid rent. Regarding churches, not too many landlords want to be featured in the news for suing a church. If the tenant is late on rent and will not respond to demands for payment the co-signer will be called. When it is a suspected illegal tenant a landlord will not tolerate more than one late rent payment.

Another major problem that landlords face is that once you rent to an illegal (or any tenant for that matter) and they then bring in other people, even though the contract disallows it, it can be difficult and costly to evict those who are not on the contract, since it is legally considered that they have established tenancy due to being invited in by the original tenant on the lease. Just after I left my job as an apartment manager I was informed that two young women we had rented an apartment to had invited in a homeless man to stay with them. One of the girls got into a fight with the other girl and went back home to Nebraska. The other girl, unable to pay the rent herself, took off in the middle of the night, presumably also headed back to Nebraska. The homeless man remained, unable to pay ANY rent or utilities, but, by law, the landlord had to go through a long and costly eviction procedure which dragged on for 7 months. During this time they were not allowed to cut off the gas, water or electricity. The homeless guy lived there free and clear for 7 months.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Which is just another reason to give them legal status.
so if a bank robber bought a car with stolen money it would make sense to let him keep the car?
what if a squatter took up residence in your garage? he's tthere already let him assume ownership of your garage?

Old 06-22-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
That is what us bleeding hearts will just never understand.

Even aside from the problems that would be solved by legalizing illegals, such as them not paying taxes, being difficult to keep track of, and BEING ILLEGAL OMG, there are tons of reasons to not have them here legally. Such as stealing American jobs. Or something. They'd definitely be stealing something.
and what do we tell all the folks who did it the right way?
Sorry sucker you should have cheated?

Old 06-22-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Yes, but if they have been required to pay double security that will generally cover the costs of any damages or unpaid rent. Regarding churches, not too many landlords want to be featured in the news for suing a church. If the tenant is late on rent and will not respond to demands for payment the co-signer will be called. When it is a suspected illegal tenant a landlord will not tolerate more than one late rent payment.

Another major problem that landlords face is that once you rent to an illegal (or any tenant for that matter) and they then bring in other people, even though the contract disallows it, it can be difficult and costly to evict those who are not on the contract, since it is legally considered that they have established tenancy due to being invited in by the original tenant on the lease. Just after I left my job as an apartment manager I was informed that two young women we had rented an apartment to had invited in a homeless man to stay with them. One of the girls got into a fight with the other girl and went back home to Nebraska. The other girl, unable to pay the rent herself, took off in the middle of the night, presumably also headed back to Nebraska. The homeless man remained, unable to pay ANY rent or utilities, but, by law, the landlord had to go through a long and costly eviction procedure which dragged on for 7 months. During this time they were not allowed to cut off the gas, water or electricity. The homeless guy lived there free and clear for 7 months.
But your original point, then, is false. If the illegal immigrant runs off, there is someone to turn to.

As for the homeless man, we're a nation of laws. Don't you respect the laws on the books? He has the legal right to force that eviction procedure.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
and what do we tell all the folks who did it the right way?
Sorry sucker you should have cheated?
Didn't your mother tell you at some point in your life that life is not fair? I mean, yeah, it sucks that legal immigrants had to jump through all the hoops they did. I wish we could make it easier for them. But on balance, they've gotten to enjoy a much nicer existence than the average illegal immigrant while they've been here.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
Didn't your mother tell you at some point in your life that life is not fair? I mean, yeah, it sucks that legal immigrants had to jump through all the hoops they did. I wish we could make it easier for them. But on balance, they've gotten to enjoy a much nicer existence than the average illegal immigrant while they've been here.
What I was taught was to work for what I wanted not steal or cheat and to look down on those who do.
Accepting a cheat only serves to re-enforce that bhavior.
They enjoy a better existence because of the fact they did it right.
granting an amnesty is not the right answer. Not for the illegal, not for those who hire them and not for those who rent to them..

Old 06-22-2011, 04:17 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,325,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Another soft on crime type, I see? Jaywalking is ILLEGAL, good sir. ILLEGAL. No matter what you think needs to be done about jaywalking, we should all be able to agree that the laws should be enforced.
No, not at all. I think all laws should be enforced but your analogy in regards to illegal aliens was a bad one. I am no sir, either. I'm a female.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, not at all. I think all laws should be enforced but your analogy in regards to illegal aliens was a bad one. I am no sir, either. I'm a female.
Well, if you're still in the state of Illinois and have spoken English lately, you're an illegal talker. Allegedly Illinois has a law on the books that English is not to be spoken.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:15 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I don't see how it's a bad analogy.

Illegal aliens are breaking laws - aggressively prosecute while being outraged at their disrespect for society.

Jaywalkers are breaking laws - ?????????????

Fill in those questions marks for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration