Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,767,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
It doesn't matter if it's harassment or not when it comes to the constitutionality.
How is it harassment? By law aliens are to carry their papers with them and notify the government of address changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,212,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How is it harassment? By law aliens are to carry their papers with them and notify the government of address changes.
Well no...but I never said it was harassment. Whether or not it's harassment is not relevant to the case.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 PM

13 posts, read 6,493 times
Quote:
So any illegal will just say they aren't an alien at all and they don't have ID at the moment. Americans don't have to walk around with "their papers" like it's communist Russia. So at best you have a law that will effectively do nothing. At worst you have cops enforcing a new law in unconstitutional ways. Nice little law to hang your hat on.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 AM

118 posts, read 95,591 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by La-Z-Boy View Post
So any illegal will just say they aren't an alien at all and they don't have ID at the moment. Americans don't have to walk around with "their papers" like it's communist Russia. So at best you have a law that will effectively do nothing. At worst you have cops enforcing a new law in unconstitutional ways. Nice little law to hang your hat on.
This.

How does one know if they're talking to an illegal when they're not carrying papers? Person gets stopped for jaywalking:

Officer: Sir, could I see some ID.

Person w/Mexican accent: Sorry, I didn't bring any with me.

Officer: ?(take the person in just in case?)

Unless you're somehow suggesting illegals wear something akin to an armband.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,852,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elián González View Post
This.

How does one know if they're talking to an illegal when they're not carrying papers? Person gets stopped for jaywalking:

Officer: Sir [or Ma'am], could I see some ID.

Person w/Mexican accent: Sorry, I didn't bring any with me.

Officer: ?(take the person in just in case?)

Unless you're somehow suggesting illegals wear something akin to an armband.
Even with ID:

"Here is my New Mexico driver's license."

The response is the same for me and my wife. Does my wife's accent present the officer with the opportunity to check her immigration status? She would not otherwise be arrested for jaywalking.

How about after she naturalizes? Aren't there illegal aliens that can speak English without a trace of an accent? Unless documentation is asked of everyone, it can't be asked of anyone for the occasion.

More people would be caught that way anyway...

Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 AM

20 posts, read 12,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Looking to catch people by harrassing the citizenry for the smallest thing in the hopes of catching a few people here illegally is not exactly a shining star for freedom in America.

It just seems to me that a country based on not being harassed by police or the government is becoming more and more dependent on harassing and invading privacy of the "majority" of it's citizens just to catch a few "poor people" looking for work.

If your stance is "deport all illegals now" your free to believe that but for the rest of us people who DON'T want to live in a harassing police state I beg of you to find a different way.

Once you have managed to deport every illegal in the U.S. and have walls as high as Mt. Everest and your borders are secure and little bunnys are hopping all around in glee THOSE POLICE are going to have to find something else to do to keep busy to keep the arrests up, to keep the income flowing in, to justify their jobs it will just keep going and going until 1984 it is......

Find a different way other than giving police more power than the MORE POWER they already shouldn't have.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:02 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,333,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Even with ID:

"Here is my New Mexico driver's license."

The response is the same for me and my wife. Does my wife's accent present the officer with the opportunity to check her immigration status? She would not otherwise be arrested for jaywalking.

How about after she naturalizes? Aren't there illegal aliens that can speak English without a trace of an accent? Unless documentation is asked of everyone, it can't be asked of anyone for the occasion.

LE do no judge people's status in this country by their accent. That is pure pro-illegal propaganda. I still fail to understand how this would make one a defender of illegal aliens with a victim mentality for their ethnic group.
Family ties, perhaps?

Old 06-28-2011, 01:17 PM

192 posts, read 115,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
LE do no judge people's status in this country by their accent. That is pure pro-illegal propaganda. I still fail to understand how this would make one a defender of illegal aliens with a victim mentality for their ethnic group.
Family ties, perhaps?
What do they judge on, then?

Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,852,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
What do they judge on, then?
They profile without profiling, presumably...

Old 06-28-2011, 03:15 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,443,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
This is going to happen over and over again within these states that pass such legislation. It's very obvious that these parts of the law are unconstitutional. No legal citizen of the United States should fear police harassment. It's really that simple.

When will conservatives stop wasting taxpayer money on this issue?
So far a bunch of Clinton appointees have invalidated these laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration