Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 06:45 PM

147 posts, read 690,730 times

Advertisements

why doesn't the mexican gov. help prevent border hopping?
B/C i damn well don't want illegals talking over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 10:01 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,643 times
Wow...

Uh.. well my bet is because it get's the unemployed to get a Job in the US. It also brings in money to Mexico since roughly 50% of mexicans only spend a few years in the US to make some money then leave to go back to mexico.

And in all reality, the gov't has more important things to do to protect their own citizens from crime and drugs than to prevent people LEAVING their country.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:43 PM

70 posts, read 544,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Wow...

Uh.. well my bet is because it get's the unemployed to get a Job in the US. It also brings in money to Mexico since roughly 50% of mexicans only spend a few years in the US to make some money then leave to go back to mexico.

And in all reality, the gov't has more important things to do to protect their own citizens from crime and drugs than to prevent people LEAVING their country.
What some people don't realize is that the money that is sent back to Mexico a lot of it finds its way back to the states. As Mexicans import a lot of there products I believe they are still the 2nd largest importer of the U.S.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:01 AM

113 posts, read 469,147 times
Isn't that kinda ironic?

They're going to enter a country illegally and violate employment laws to send all their money back to Mexico to buy imported US goods?

This is the consumer of the 22nd Century!

Why don't we identify the REAL issue here. Mexico is incapable of competing globally against most of Asia, USA, and Europe.

The only thing they have going for them is a large cheap labor pool very close to the USA.

Seriously what does Mexico produce? Corona? Tacos? Like most of South/Central America, they basically survive on imported technology.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:47 AM

104 posts, read 449,971 times
Because Mexico wants its population living in poverty to leave. Hypocritically, they abuse and even incarcerate illegals coming in from central america.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:17 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyt937 View Post
why doesn't the mexican gov. help prevent border hopping?
B/C i damn well don't want illegals talking over
I know you're being silly, but OK, I'll bite---the Mexican government recognizes illegal "emigration" (Out--to the north) as, (1) An extremely lucrative source of income, in the form of remittances sent home by those living and working in the US...It is a HUGE part of the economy there...
and, perhaps just as important, (2)-An absolutely invaluable "safety valve" allowing the "export" of maltreated millions, who, if suddenly deprived of this outlet, would undoubtedly turn in righteous anger upon the rich ruling classes of Mexico who have done so much to make the lives of the poor so miserable.

In fact, If Mexico were NOT next door to the US, but tomorrow morning found itself next door to China, or to Afghanistan, or to Nigeria, you can rest assured that life in Mexico would quickly take a decided turn for the worse. I don't think it's a stretch to say that if the border were suddenly sealed tight, that Mexico might rapidly descend into violent revolution, so great would be the pressure upon the "guilty" rich oligarchs by the angry, desperate poor. So far, this hasn't happened, largely because anyone angry or desperate enough to revolt, instead has the option to leave--and guess where they go?

Old 08-18-2007, 12:07 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixpilot View Post
Why don't we identify the REAL issue here. Mexico is incapable of competing globally against most of Asia, USA, and Europe.
Incapable or unwilling?

One concern is, in order for Mexico to build a manufacturing base, they need to be able to attract foreign investors willing to build manufacturing plants. But what foreign investor or corporation is going to want to invest a billion dollars in Mexico when the government is so corrupt?

And why should the upper 1% in Mexico, who own most of the country, invest their money in social programs or jobs for the poor Mexicans when it's much cheaper to simply export the poor, who will send billions of dollars back every year.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:43 AM

382 posts, read 954,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I know you're being silly, but OK, I'll bite---the Mexican government recognizes illegal "emigration" (Out--to the north) as, (1) An extremely lucrative source of income, in the form of remittances sent home by those living and working in the US...It is a HUGE part of the economy there...
and, perhaps just as important, (2)-An absolutely invaluable "safety valve" allowing the "export" of maltreated millions, who, if suddenly deprived of this outlet, would undoubtedly turn in righteous anger upon the rich ruling classes of Mexico who have done so much to make the lives of the poor so miserable.

In fact, If Mexico were NOT next door to the US, but tomorrow morning found itself next door to China, or to Afghanistan, or to Nigeria, you can rest assured that life in Mexico would quickly take a decided turn for the worse. I don't think it's a stretch to say that if the border were suddenly sealed tight, that Mexico might rapidly descend into violent revolution, so great would be the pressure upon the "guilty" rich oligarchs by the angry, desperate poor. So far, this hasn't happened, largely because anyone angry or desperate enough to revolt, instead has the option to leave--and guess where they go?
Okay, that makes sense, maybe the US government is preventing a communist led revolution in Mexico by allowing all the poor to come to US. Maybe this is why our government does little to protect the border. Maybe the threat of a communist nation at our doorstep is more alarming and threatening then possible terrorists or third world populations invading US. Huh, interesting.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:29 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
Okay, that makes sense, maybe the US government is preventing a communist led revolution in Mexico by allowing all the poor to come to US. Maybe this is why our government does little to protect the border. Maybe the threat of a communist nation at our doorstep is more alarming and threatening then possible terrorists or third world populations invading US. Huh, interesting.
Yes, expgc, I do think this is very much a factor---and has been for decades. For obvious reasons, the subject can't be discussed openly between officials of the two countries---it's a sort of "open secret"...
Remember that, though we take this border for granted (I don't live too far from it myself), it really is a rather unique situation. It is a relatively long border, running through many miles of mostly uninhabited space, and is quite literally the border between the world's leading economy and a very ordinary, middle-of-the road, un-democratic third world nation; and these are, for the most part, not even separated by a barbed-wire fence. We're talking about a fairly unusual situation here......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration