Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 02:14 PM

15 posts, read 13,647 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Arne Duncan writing in USA TODAY described the process DREAM applicants must go through as “rigorous.” It is hardly that. Not even close! Almost anyone can gain admission and graduate from a community college. I know because I taught in two different community colleges and also did some teaching while in the armed services. Admission to a community college is not an adequate substitute for military service. To make sure these young folks are not just looking for an easy way to achieve legal status, the minimum requirement must be the honorable completion of a four year enlistment in the armed services.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Many GIs put their lives and their educations on hold when their country needed their services. The Korean War saw students who were already in medical school or law school enlisting for four years. Is this too much to ask of these young people who will in all likelihood be on a path to citizenship by the end of the four years? During that time they will also be able to accumulate a significant amount of funds for their college educations. A longer military service requirement will result in students who are more mature and who, therefore, will benefit more from college. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] After World War II, 7.8 million out of 16 million highly dedicated and motivated ex-GIs descended on training facilities, colleges and universities. Needing to make up for lost time, they applied themselves with singular resolve. Some already had families and had to do double duty, holding a baby in one arm and holding a textbook with the other. Most of these men and women were citizens that had served their country well and faithfully until the need had passed. There is no better way for DREAM applicants to show their deep loyalty to our country than to do likewise for four years.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Some of the children who were brought here illegally by their parents have known no life other than their life in America. If the rules are strict enough, Americans are ready to give these young people special consideration. However, they are not willing to do the same for their parents and other relatives! If it goes against the basic sense of fairness to punish these young people for the choices of their parents, then these young people should be willing to acquiesce to a strengthened DREAM Act that specifically and permanently bars successful applicants from sponsoring any family member or relative for legal status. Otherwise, opponents will continue to view the DREAM Act as a backdoor approach to a more general amnesty and a reward to those who violate immigration laws.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The deeply-flawed DREAM Act is notable for its lack of any audit and enforcement provisions and penalties, up to and including, immediate deportation for anyone who submits a fraudulent application. Applicants must be required to present at least four forms of sworn documentation proving that they are eligible. The first of these would be a copy of the four year enlistment paper to be supported later with a certified copy of an honorable discharge. A second set of required documentation includes a copy of the parents’ income tax returns, pay stubs, bank deposit slips, rental receipts and evidence to show they have been paying all of the applicable taxes and to prove their and their child’s presence in the U.S. for at least five years. Third, report cards or other evidence of school attendance after their arrival in the U.S. is essential to prove that they are serious students who value education. Finally, they must present copies of their birth certificates to prove that they were less than 16 years old when they were brought illegally to the U.S.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The one-time application period must be limited to the six month period following the enactment of the bill. The applications must be continuously audited during that period to determine the extent of any fraud and to ensure that miscreants are identified and subjected to the penalties for perjury and such other punishments as the bill prescribes. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]With these changes, the flawed DREAM bill would be strengthened to the extent it the application process might then be considered “rigorous.” Its scope would be reduced to eliminate the fear that it is just another amnesty bill. A strong work ethic; service to others; and a deep loyalty to our country is not unique to the offspring of illegal aliens. There is no reason to believe that these particular students will bolster our global economic competitiveness and increase our educational standing in the world more so than any other college graduates. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Legal status should be conditioned on meeting all of the application requirements ,including four years of military service, and maintaining a grade point average of 3.0 or better throughout their college years. These are the graduates together with all of the other college graduates that will help strengthen our economy. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 02:24 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,334 times
Wah wah wah.

Sick of hearing about this crap.

Deport them!!! Deport them all! The parents and their illegal offspring. My dad and relatives went through so much crap to come and live here LEGALLY. I am sick of people who think they are entitled to anything.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:10 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,264 times
Americans have been very generous, but you can't be generous with people who hate this country and want to milk the system by entering illegally.

Lets face it, to many Americans have become illegal sympathizers

As long as the murders, rapes, kidnappings, ID theft, and credit fraud is happening to everyone EXCEPT our elected local/state/federal officials, their family members, and close friends -- illegal Entry into the U.S.A. is officially NOT A PROBLEM.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:22 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
You know exactly, who in the hell is here for our Country, when things go wrong, or terrible storms hit, people losing their homes, and all their possessions, and some even die, pets die or have taken off. Who is here to help pick up the pieces for these families. I think we are a very generous Country, and taken advantage of constantyl, with People from other Countries, putting demands upon us, which is quite sickening. I am tired of it. Will this problem ever cease to go away, not as long as we have politicians on both sides, who choose to look a blinds eye as to what is happening, they know, give me a break, they know what is happening. They don't care and why, if it benefits them, to hell with all of us! I'm sorry i still believe as i was taught from when i was little, you do things right and not wrong, follow the laws and not break them, something wrong about that way of thinking?

Old 07-04-2011, 03:33 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,264 times
The Obama administration memo from John Morton, Director of I.C.E. (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) directs federal agents to use “prosecutorial discretion” with regard to enforcing immigration laws. Clarifying what that means, Morton writes: “When ICE favorably exercises prosecutorial discretion, it essentially decides not to assert the full scope of the enforcement authority available to the agency.”

What illegal aliens has Barack Obama exempted from U.S. immigration law?

According to news reports, “federal immigration officials do not have to deport illegal aliens if they are enrolled in any type of education program, if their family members have volunteered for U.S. military service, or if they are pregnant or nursing.”

This begs the question, what illegal aliens HASN'T Barack Obama exempted from U.S. immigration law?

As America’s largest and fastest-growing anti-illegal immigration organization, we want to step forward and REPEAL this outrageous—and very likely ILLEGAL—new policy. We want to take the lead and work to find a legal way to stop this policy before it has a chance to open the floodgates for illegal aliens coming into the United States.

Already, Barack Obama has FORBIDDEN our National Guard along the borders from stopping illegal aliens as they enter the United States. With this new policy, Mr. Obama is putting out the “welcome mat” for millions more to join those already streaming across the border under the cover of darkness each and every night.

There is no time to wait. Our great nation’s national and economic security rest in the balance.

For the millions of Americans who have lost their jobs over the past three years, their tragedy is only the first chapter in a national catastrophe if the new Obama Amnesty Doctrine is allowed to stand.

This new policy—now called “The Obama Amnesty Doctrine”—enacted the nightmarish DREAM ACT Amnesty Scheme by executive decree!

The Obama Amnesty Doctrine was TWICE defeated by bipartisan majorities in Congress and is vehemently opposed by a majority of the American people…

…and that is why Barack Obama and his mafia-style administration made their move in secret. No press coverage. No signing ceremonies. It was the political equivalent of an illegal, back-alley hidden in the shadows.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 AM

15 posts, read 13,647 times
I largely agree with all of these comments, however, we need to recognize that the DREAM Act was rejected by a narrow margin in a parliamentary maneuver. Although it is unlikely that the GOP-controlled House will pass the DREAM Act, if the tide turns and Pelosi is back in charge, this may be her first order of business. In other words, we may not be able to defeat it next time. If so, wouldn't it make sense to strengthen tha act and make it more difficult to qualify while prohibiting any sponsorship of other relatives by the DREAMERS?

Old 07-19-2011, 07:38 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultima View Post
I largely agree with all of these comments, however, we need to recognize that the DREAM Act was rejected by a narrow margin in a parliamentary maneuver. Although it is unlikely that the GOP-controlled House will pass the DREAM Act, if the tide turns and Pelosi is back in charge, this may be her first order of business. In other words, we may not be able to defeat it next time. If so, wouldn't it make sense to strengthen tha act and make it more difficult to qualify while prohibiting any sponsorship of other relatives by the DREAMERS?
I am not an advocate for any part of the Dream Act but you have a good point that if this "nightmare" act is passed it should be strengthened to make it more difficult to qualify and no sponsoring of any of these dreamies parents or other relatives. In its present form you know damned well the parent's here illegally would gain legalization through their dreamie kid. It is nothing short of blanket amnesty.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:32 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I am not an advocate for any part of the Dream Act but you have a good point that if this "nightmare" act is passed it should be strengthened to make it more difficult to qualify and no sponsoring of any of these dreamies parents or other relatives. In its present form you know damned well the parent's here illegally would gain legalization through their dreamie kid. It is nothing short of blanket amnesty.
I'm surprised they keep trying to pass it with that loophole. It probably would have already passed if they hadn't gotten greedy writing it.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:10 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,558,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultima View Post
I do not support any form of amnesty. And, I also do not believe the DREAM Act will pass. There is simply too much opposition. However, I do agree that the bill should be drastically changed. At a minimum, a four-year college degree should be required prior to qualifying, and it should be in a field that will benefit this country. Otherwise, they will gain legal status and never complete college. The current requirement that they must have a high school diploma or a GED is total BS.

Also, it should stipulate that they can NEVER sponsor family members. And, the deportation of their parents should be a requirement. The age range should also be changed. Rather than allowing an illegal who entered this country prior to 16 to qualify, the child should have entered this country prior to the age of 6. They should also be denied all tax-funded benefits.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 PM

148 posts, read 85,496 times
I have some issues/comments/ideas about this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I do not support any form of amnesty.
As far as the DREAM act goes it isn't amnesty. Amnesty is something for nothing while this is a quid pro quo.

Quote:
And, I also do not believe the DREAM Act will pass. There is simply too much opposition.
Agreed

Quote:
However, I do agree that the bill should be drastically changed. At a minimum, a four-year college degree should be required prior to qualifying, and it should be in a field that will benefit this country.
While I agree in principle, it is very difficult for a non resident of a state to achieve a 4 year degree while paying out of state tuition ( which is what most illegal aliens pay except for a few states). which equals to an almost impossible amount to pay for a legal non resident who can receive financial aid ( which illegal aliens can't).

Quote:
Otherwise, they will gain legal status and never complete college. The current requirement that they must have a high school diploma or a GED is total BS.
As far as I know the requirements is to complete a 2 year degree or 2 years of military service to have the option not just a GED or diploma.

Quote:
Also, it should stipulate that they can NEVER sponsor family members. And, the deportation of their parents should be a requirement.
I guess this seems weird. In order to gain citizenship you must deport your parents who you won't be able to see again for at least 10 years.

Quote:
The age range should also be changed. Rather than allowing an illegal who entered this country prior to 16 to qualify, the child should have entered this country prior to the age of 6. They should also be denied all tax-funded benefits.
Why? At age 7 a person is going to gain the will to tell their parents that they are going to leave them and go back to X country without them? 16 seems about the age of independence from parents and the ability to live on one's own which is what I imagine would be the dividing line between someone who was brought where and didn't know any different and someone who make an equal choice to be an illegal or not. Denied all tax funded benefits seems fair for Y amount of years.

Last edited by VerticalReasoning; 07-19-2011 at 11:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration