Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 PM

199 posts, read 178,742 times

Advertisements

Since the people of Mexico are essentially Native Americans based on a lot of factors including genetic make up and former land ownership before Europeans invaded do they have a right to be here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 01:28 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
Since the people of Mexico are essentially Native Americans based on a lot of factors including genetic make up and former land ownership before Europeans invaded do they have a right to be here?
my ancestors came from germany and england. Do I have a right to take residence in either country whenever I want?
Did native Americans allow tribes from Texas to move into say Wyoming?
I dont think so.
The fact remains that its been hundreds of years and no living natives are alive today to make a claim.
What is the limit on such a claim? 100 years? 1000?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:

Sure, as long as they are citizens of the USA.

The Texans and the US cavalry and citizens, kicked our ass.

I can live with it. My forefathers got made to walk to Oklahoma, or die.
Am I bitter.... NO. That was then, this is now.

The USA is my tribe, now.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:20 PM

148 posts, read 85,496 times
Quote:
Well a few things, Mexicans are a mix of Spanish and Native American ancestry, not Native Americans themselves. There are still actual Aztecs and Mayans living in Mexico ( the Zapateca Revolution is related to this) who are actually treated quite badly. Secondly, Native Americans are not a monolithic group any more than Americans can claim rights to British lands etc. Aztecs, Toltecs and Mayans rarely touched anything above Mexico so any "US" land would pertain to the Native Americas indigenous to the geographic area, not to Mexico proper.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:26 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,745 times
Should the United States claim Bermuda just because it's off of North Carolina? Should the United States claim the Bahamas because it's below Florida? Should we claim Canada because Canadians are White like many Americans?

As a side note, most Mexicans are actually Mestizo which is a mix of Spanish and Indian. There are relatively few pure blooded Mexican Indians left and most of them are way down by Guatemala. The Indian tribes along the border are all American citizens on American soil ... and historically they are none to fond of the Mexicans. Many of them are among our most patriotic warriors with a long history of serving in the US military.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:12 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
...The Indian tribes along the border are all American citizens on American soil ... and historically they are none to fond of the Mexicans. Many of them are among our most patriotic warriors with a long history of serving in the US military.
Or of fighting it, none too fond of us either...

Old 07-12-2011, 04:36 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,055 times
Quote:
If they were supposed to be on this side of the border they would already live here right? They wouldn't have to climb a fence or cross a river to get here.

Besides, when you purchase something LIKE LAND, if you paid for it it's yours right?

Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Long ago, my forefathers would have scalped you no matter who you were if you crossed the Rio Grande. That has always been a border between tribes.

The Apache and Comanche, did not like each other but respected their boarders, or face the consequences.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:20 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,926,138 times
Quote:
No. The Mesoamericans did not have land claim to the present-day United States and besides, most Mexicans are mixed blood anyways. Like a psoter above me said, the pure blooded indigenous in Mexico mostly live near Guatemala. Much of the Mexicans coming here look like they are around 1/2 indigenous blood and yet their ancestors had no land claim in the U.S.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:06 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
First, the time that these people claiming they have a "right" to be here are basing this claim on a time stamp, right? In the big picture their descendants lived on this part of N America claimed by Mexico for a very short period of time. This is no different that many old European claims to islands and land that are no longer inhabited by the French or Italians that "claimed" the land.

Second, how do people coming here from Guatemala have a "right" to live here based on the above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration