Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US deport illegal immigrants and better prevent their arrival?
Yes. 109 83.21%
No. 22 16.79%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:30 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,474,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Just curious, who was in California first, the Spanish or the Italians, think hard, then go learn Spanish.
Casper
That is not what i meant and you know darn well i did not.

Everone knows that Calif was discovered in 1542 a great year by the Hunk
Juan Rodrigues Cabrillo, well maybe a hunk.

Gold was discoverd at Sutter Mill around 1850-1857

I believe Oil was discovered in Calif around 1890.

My point was not who was in Calif first, the point being, My Ancestors learned English, which is not hard to do if you put your mind to it.

Non Saltare Alle Conclusioni!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
...Walked to school in the snow, uphill both ways, I know...

I'm really interested in your elaboration of the "citizenship papers", and identifying that your ancestors (all of them) came "legally". Did they come with the advance permission of the United States? The origin of the Italian-American slur "WOP" came from "WithOut Papers", meaning that the Italians often just arrived here.

Sure, let's have the strictest laws, which would have prevented most of that immigration in the past. Once those people become our citizens, they are our problem to deal with, we can't pass them off elsewhere. Too bad we don't have enough of that moxie your Italians ancestors did, getting to work (in English) when it was tough times.
Difference back then, those who wanted to come to America for a better life, believed in doing it legally. No one said it was easy for these people, you have a year, i can tell you some stories, not so nice. They were not treated nice, i have plenty of stories i can tell, but they worked thru the problems and the heartaches. They beleived in hard work, and believe me hard work they did.
Did matter, because of all that hard work, i mean working 3 jobs to make a living, it most certainly paid off. And they learned English, and their children only spoke English in the home and in school. If they could teach their children English, so could those who come here illegally, isn't that the least they can do. People don't look at this Country the same anymore, sorry but they do not, coming here illegally, is that respecing the US.

Just maybe way back then, the laws did not have to be that strict, because those who dreamt of being an American Citizen, came here legally, as hard as it was, no one said anything worth fighting for is easy, it was not, have a year, as i say, i could tell ya some stories.

And are you calling my Great Grandparents liars, because if you are, you know nothing at all, of course they came here legally, it was not easy but anything worth fighting for, is worth the wait.

Last edited by california-jewel; 07-21-2011 at 03:45 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
...Walked to school in the snow, uphill both ways, I know...

I'm really interested in your elaboration of the "citizenship papers", and identifying that your ancestors (all of them) came "legally". Did they come with the advance permission of the United States? The origin of the Italian-American slur "WOP" came from "WithOut Papers", meaning that the Italians often just arrived here.

Sure, let's have the strictest laws, which would have prevented most of that immigration in the past. Once those people become our citizens, they are our problem to deal with, we can't pass them off elsewhere. Too bad we don't have enough of that moxie your Italians ancestors did, getting to work (in English) when it was tough times.
What do you want to see my great grandparents, papers, they have them i have seen them, and are you calling me a liar. Well gees let me put it to ya this way, if i have seen their papers, they must of had permission, ya think! Your wrong, Italians did not just arrive here, they came here legally, with the likes of my Great Grandparents. Sorry charlie, People were different back then, they actually respected the US, and wanted to be citizens, unlike what we have invading this Country today, ILLEGALS?

And as long as it may have taken to get their Papers, it was well worth all the hard work. Most people back then, were different no matter what Country they came here from, they did not beleive back then in just breaking the laws, and demanding things from our Government, did not work that way back then. And no one is saying that things happened overnight, because you know darn well that they did not. Rome was not built in a day you know?

Che ne pensate che siete?

Last edited by california-jewel; 07-21-2011 at 04:12 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalReasoning View Post
Demonize the English language? What does that even mean? Not that you will answer.

Well gees, maybe this means, the English Language, is no longer respected, ya think?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:16 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,682,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
This country was built on immigrants and those with such a zest for deportation might not have been able to make their argument as American citizens if it weren't for their illegal immigrant ancestors. We truly have bigger fish to fry than worrying about this topic.
So was every country in the world.

Thats no excuse to invade ours!

Old 07-21-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Demonize the English language? What does that even mean? Not that you will answer.
You know what exactly what that means.

English is no longer respected in this country by foreigners.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Most economists will tell you that the undocumented are good for the U.S.
Greenspan says illegal immigration good for the U.S. | Immigration Chronicles | a Chron.com blog
Testimony of Patrick P. O'Carroll Jr., Inspector General of the Social SecurityAdministration before the U.S. Senate said:
"Studies show that undocumented immigrants provide a net gain of $7billion to the Social Security system each year."
Reports from several states such as Texas show that unauthorized immigrants contribute as much as $1.5 billion to state revenues.
Who wins, loses from mass immigration to California? The Orange County Register
Daniel T. Griswold, “As Immigrants Move In, Americans Move Up,†The CATO Institute, July 21, 2009
Stephen Moore, “More Immigrants, More Jobs,†The Wall Street Journal, July 17, 2005
Immigration Doesn't Hurt Native-Born Workers | Daniel Griswold | Cato Institute: Commentary
Thats the open border crowd.

But when you look at the close border crowd. Illegals harm & damage the economy.

California & NY are perfect examples.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:56 AM

148 posts, read 85,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Well gees, maybe this means, the English Language, is no longer respected, ya think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
You know what exactly what that means.

English is no longer respected in this country by foreigners.
I don't know what it means because to "demonize" or "disrespect" a language is an almost non sensical, purely emotive meaning. How can one disrespect a language? I say almost because the few cases I have seen of widespread "demonization" of a language comes from Turkey and the Kurdish language where actual slurs and biological essentialism are used to convey degradation on a wide scale.

I assume what you mean is language adoption which is misguided given the cross generational statistics of immigrants and language adoption.

Last edited by VerticalReasoning; 07-21-2011 at 09:05 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 09:19 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,483,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbartlebee View Post
Many of the bigots in this country are the blacks and the Mexicans.
Absolutely. Bigotry exists in--and is aimed towards--all cultures.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I don't know what it means because to "demonize" or "disrespect" a language is an almost non sensical, purely emotive meaning. How can one disrespect a language? I say almost because the few cases I have seen of widespread "demonization" of a language comes from Turkey and the Kurdish language where actual slurs and biological essentialism are used to convey degradation on a wide scale.

I assume what you mean is language adoption which is misguided given the cross generational statistics of immigrants and language adoption.
I don't know if you saw the post.

There was one hispanic who was in the country 20+ years and in front of congress he wanted to speak in Spanish. He knew English but wanted to speak in Spanish.

The congressman called him disrespectful.

That is one example.

Last edited by All American NYC; 07-21-2011 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration