Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 05:37 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,570,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Yeah, sure. But the state is making the assumption that he is less likely, and I'm sure that they're correct. Now, it's also incentivizing potential students to stay in-state rather than take their motivated selves elsewhere.

If UC wanted - and I think I'd like to see this - they could rank the likelihood of remaining in the state/profiting California based on a whole bunch of factors. So, for instance, they might offer "Dave" a bit of a discount if he has a whole bunch of family in California, indicating that he may well stick around. Part of the reason they don't do this is due to the hassle (though, properly managed, it would definitely be profitable). Another part is the Californians would get pissed if they were deemed less worthy of investment than out of state students. However, to some extent this already happens with the scholarship system, and I don't have any sort of problem with it.
They’re illegal aliens. Who gives a kitty if they remain in a state? If anything, most would support measures to incentivize them to leave. As for “Dave” I know countless people who left their state to attend college, and decided to stay after graduation. Actually, percentage-wise, they remained, more often than not.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This is absolutely mind-boggling, especially in a state with such a huge budget deficit. Thank goodness the residents of Maryland fought a similar law that would have become effective July 1st. California residents should follow suit. Otherwise, you can expect even more illegals to flock to your state. How sad.
Actually, let all the illegals flock to California for refuge. Because that way, the idiot liberals in the California G.A. can see for themselves that they are not worth the potential votes they'll get.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:49 PM

50,347 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Well it's not a guaranteed zero return lol, but since I support pretty loose immigration laws, allow it to be known that I believe a college-educated illegal immigrant should have a rapidfire path to citizenship.

Now, you may view this as a poor investment, but obviously California does not.

Arguably the biggest practical complaint about illegals here is that they are filling up low-level labor jobs that are already operating in a highly competitive market. Thus, the argument goes, the demand for cheap labor is not reliant on the supply of illegal immigrants.

Another big complaint, perhaps the biggest itself, is that illegals are a net drain on our system because they tend to be lower on the income scale, and thus more likely than average to be profiting from the welfare state rather than feeding it.

Neither of these arguments seems to apply in this case. What DOES apply, is the generic cry of "illegal!" So feel free to start making that argument right now.
Would you use this "formula" for your own retirement or funds? Come on, you can't possibly buy into this as an "investment". It's buying votes plain and simple. Let's be honest here. I know of someone who was here illegally but was so sharp the Company sponsored them and took responsibility to update their work visa/green card.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:16 PM

11,272 posts, read 11,037,507 times
California seems like it likes to be abused. I'm glad I got out when I did. I wish my folks would get out of that area, but they seem to be too engrained to take the leap. I really don't see any upside to ever moving back to that state. Sure, there are certain areas that I like to visit, but the major urban cesspools can have fun with the fiasco that they have created on their own.

If you gave me a choice between taking a $100,000 a year job in California, or taking a $50,000 a year job in ANY other state, it would be a simple decision.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 PM

321 posts, read 363,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Actually, let all the illegals flock to California for refuge. Because that way, the idiot liberals in the California G.A. can see for themselves that they are not worth the potential votes they'll get.

Agree- just let the librtards live there with the illegals and export the illegals from texas to libafornia. All the conservative californains move to texas.

fair trade imo

Old 07-27-2011, 05:49 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
Quote:
Not one poster realizing that this bill is about private financing. Not one. The most there is about public financing in the article is a guess that maybe it would happen in the future.

This bill allows private individuals and groups to provide scholarships, it's not taxpayer money.

How about we have a citizenship test where the only criteria is the ability to read the first paragraph of a newspaper article?
are you saying that this isn't financing that is diverted from american citizens, because it would be- and you know it.

how about a citizenship test where we understand that there are limited resources in any state for students and they should go to the citizens first, instead of rewarding lawbreakers?

Old 07-27-2011, 08:37 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,674 times
Quote:
They’re illegal aliens. Who gives a kitty if they remain in a state? If anything, most would support measures to incentivize them to leave.
Cool story. I'd go ahead and guess, as long as we're guessing, that most people also would differentiate between the value of college educated and uneducated people, illegal or not.

Quote:
As for “Dave” I know countless people who left their state to attend college, and decided to stay after graduation. Actually, percentage-wise, they remained, more often than not.
Super cool story, I guess you should notify state colleges of this potential revenue stream.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
are you saying that this isn't financing that is diverted from american citizens, because it would be- and you know it.

how about a citizenship test where we understand that there are limited resources in any state for students and they should go to the citizens first, instead of rewarding lawbreakers?
Private financing is not the same thing as public financing.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Would you use this "formula" for your own retirement or funds?
You mean "investing"? Yes, I kinda plan on using that "formula."

Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 AM

880 posts, read 1,800,883 times
"Assemblyman Gil Cedillo (D-Los Angeles), author of the private financial aid measure, described it as an important but incremental step toward expanding opportunities for deserving students who were brought to the U.S. illegally through no choice of their own."

So how is anyone going to be able to determine whether someone was brought here by their parents or if they came here on their own? It seems to me that any teenager could sneak in here alone and claim that they were brought here by their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration