Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:15 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,893 times

Advertisements

BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP—the policy whereby the children of illegal aliens born within the geographical limits of the United States are entitled to American citizenship—is a great magnet for illegal immigration. Many believe that this policy is an explicit command of the Constitution, consistent with the British common law system. But this is simply not true.

http://www.morpix.biz/imprimis/

Last edited by chicagonut; 08-13-2011 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 07:31 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,018,830 times
Yes, I always turn to moarpix.biz - "Dave Wilber Property Listings" for all my constitutional interpretation needs. A+ source IMO.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:34 PM

Seriously, it's pretty obvious this website is run by some guy who basically copy and pasted the hillsdale college website into his. Why someone would do this is left as an exercise to the reader.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:38 PM

Regardless, I went ahead and read the article. Cliffnotes: the guy who wrote the citizenship clause was a racist and hated indians and didn't intend for the clause to apply to indians, ergo we should just go with that.

Pretty typical!

Old 08-14-2011, 07:18 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Regardless, I went ahead and read the article. Cliffnotes: the guy who wrote the citizenship clause was a racist and hated indians and didn't intend for the clause to apply to indians, ergo we should just go with that.

Pretty typical!
In your opinion he is not credible because you don't agree with him.

Now, THAT is pretty typical!

Old 08-14-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
In your opinion he is not credible because you don't agree with him.

Now, THAT is pretty typical!
Well I said the link is not credible because it pretends to be from Hillsdale College but it's actually on some real estate agent's personal website. Note I made that judgement before I even read the opinion.

I don't really make any judgement of the argument's credibility, I just think that since the argument is basically "the guy who wrote this clause was racist, so we should interpret it as if we are all racists too" the argument is advocating a bad policy. Regardless of how "credible" the guy is.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:29 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP—the policy whereby the children of illegal aliens born within the geographical limits of the United States are entitled to American citizenship—is a great magnet for illegal immigration. Many believe that this policy is an explicit command of the Constitution, consistent with the British common law system. But this is simply not true.

Dave Wilber Property Listings
I don't understand why people consider that to be a magnet; all this anchor baby talk doesn't seem logical at least to me. First the parents would have to wait 20-30 years to get their papers fixed through their U.S. born children and in the meantime they would have to live in fear or decreasing opportunities of finding a job. Secondly, I doubt people at least in regards to Mexicans say "let me risk my life going to the U.S. to get on welfare". They would probably be better off in Mexico which has low cost national health care (overcrowded but better than nothing) and no one is starving over there (in fact their suffering from overweight epidemic like the U.S.). I admit there's probably some illegals on welfare though their dominance in it is a myth and overly exaggerated; I'm sure you remember this was discussed on another thread which mentioned how whites and blacks dominate there?

Old 08-19-2011, 03:32 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I don't understand why people consider that to be a magnet; all this anchor baby talk doesn't seem logical at least to me. First the parents would have to wait 20-30 years to get their papers fixed through their U.S. born children and in the meantime they would have to live in fear or decreasing opportunities of finding a job. Secondly, I doubt people at least in regards to Mexicans say "let me risk my life going to the U.S. to get on welfare". They would probably be better off in Mexico which has low cost national health care (overcrowded but better than nothing) and no one is starving over there (in fact their suffering from overweight epidemic like the U.S.). I admit there's probably some illegals on welfare though their dominance in it is a myth and overly exaggerated; I'm sure you remember this was discussed on another thread which mentioned how whites and blacks dominate there?
70% of illegals receive welfare. It's not a myth.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:37 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
It is a magnet because the more anchors they produce on our soil the more welfare dollars they get. They don't have to work! Even if they have to wait years to be sponsored b their anchor while collecting welfare benefits it is worth it to them.

Their healthcare is free to them here so why should they worry about low cost healthcare in Mexico? I believe someone posted some stats in here that it is Hispanics who are largest welfare recipiencts in apportion to their numbers here.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:41 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
70% of illegals receive welfare. It's not a myth.
I don't know about that since some people consider free school lunches as welfare (not all schools use it though). People claim Illegals use the most welfare which is not true; whites and Blacks make up the largest percentage of recipients.

If you search on google you will find numbers such as these:

Breakdown of AFDC in US. White 38.8 percent, Black 39.8 percent, Hispanic 15.7 percent, Asian 2.4 percent, other 3.3 percent.

It makes sense for whites to be the top recipients considering they make up the majority of the population.

Wikipedia points to another 2002 study using TANF which has results such as:

White:32%
Black: 38%
Hispanic: 25% (but remember not all Hispanics are illegal).

My polisci textbook is from 2007 and it has similar figures to the first ones I posted above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration