Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:03 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Enforcing federal laws isn't.
Why enforce Federal drug laws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 11:11 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Well if the illegals didn't have a driver's license then they couldn't get to work .. right?

Quote:
But District Court Judge Sarah Singleton in Santa Fe issued a temporary restraining order blocking the program, arguing in a brief ruling that "irreparable injury" would occur from "constitutional deprivations to the applicants."
Imagine that... "irreparable injury"...

FTW.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
...Huh? Illegal aliens (let's not call them immigrants) can set up a home in the US and then get a drivers license? It seems that if a state is stupid enough to allow that then they should be allowed to demand proof of a physical address. The logic is too contorted for me though.

Why not just deny them drivers licenses in the first place like AZ, CA and TX and be done with it?
Specifically for New Mexico, someone without a Social Security number is able to apply for a driver's license if they are a resident of the state. This covers a situation like a K-3 visa (for the spouse of a U.S. citizen) because they are in a "non-immigrant" status (without a Social Security number or work authorization). My own wife had a New Mexico license while we were waiting for her to become a Legal Permanent Resident.

I hope that makes things a little more clear for you...

Old 09-02-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Enforcing laws are.
What is the current New Mexico policy? If a Judge rules that a restraining order should be put in place, how is that outside the law? You're acting like the proper process isn't being followed.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:13 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Specifically for New Mexico, someone without a Social Security number is able to apply for a driver's license if they are a resident of the state. This covers a situation like a K-3 visa (for the spouse of a U.S. citizen) because they are in a "non-immigrant" status (without a Social Security number or work authorization). My own wife had a New Mexico license while we were waiting for her to become a Legal Permanent Resident.

I hope that makes things a little more clear for you...
Thanks for the explanation, but it doesn't make it clearer. The spouse of a US citizen who has entered the country legally has a visa, while an illegal alien does not. As long as someone is here legally they can have a drivers license, ITIN, and do whatever their visa allows them to do (work, buy property whatever) as far as I am concerned. But if they are here illegally? No way, toss them out if you find them I say.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:32 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,179 times
I really think all of this news about judges blocking laws aimed at illegals, the California Dream Act garbage, the Feds not enforcing laws, etc., is a precursor of things to come: Mexico will be part of the United States OR the border will eventually vanish and people will be free to come and go... legally.

Our government has sold us out.

-Cheers.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
...The spouse of a US citizen who has entered the country legally has a visa, while an illegal alien does not. As long as someone is here legally they can have a drivers license, ITIN, and do whatever their visa allows them to do (work, buy property whatever) as far as I am concerned. But if they are here illegally? No way, toss them out if you find them I say.
A K-3 (actually all 'K' visas) are defined as "non-immigrant", and are not able to apply for a Social Security number (unless an addition petition for an I-765, for work authorization, is also filed). If the state requires a Social Security number to get a driver's license, then a person whom is legally present, and married to a U.S. citizen, cannot get a license. That was very important to me during those eight months as I readied for a fifth military deployment.

Our Governor also wants to make Legal Permanent Residents ("here legally") renew the driver's licenses they have on a yearly basis...

Your last sentence seems to involve some sort of vigilantism, are you really advising others to "toss them out" if they find a perceived "illegal"?...

Old 09-02-2011, 06:47 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
A K-3 (actually all 'K' visas) are defined as "non-immigrant", and are not able to apply for a Social Security number (unless an addition petition for an I-765, for work authorization, is also filed). If the state requires a Social Security number to get a driver's license, then a person whom is legally present, and married to a U.S. citizen, cannot get a license. That was very important to me during those eight months as I readied for a fifth military deployment.

Our Governor also wants to make Legal Permanent Residents ("here legally") renew the driver's licenses they have on a yearly basis...

Your last sentence seems to involve some sort of vigilantism, are you really advising others to "toss them out" if they find a perceived "illegal"?...
So what is so terrible about having an LPR renew their DL every year? Did you even bother to find out the reason why the Govenor wants to see that happen?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:17 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Quote:

No not "others." I do not generally advocate breaking the law nor taking it into your own hands. The thread started out with the authority vested in the state - and that was what I was referring to, admittedly in a very sloppy way. I should have said that if the state - and for all I care it can be the DMV - finds someone to be here illegally, the agency in question should be authorized to order sheriffs, police whatever to transport the person to the nearest border.

Does the state insist on a SS # or can it be an ITIN?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
So what is so terrible about having an LPR renew their DL every year? Did you even bother to find out the reason why the [New Mexico] Govenor wants to see that happen?
If it isn´t ¨so terrible¨ you would then support all fifty states having everyone renew their driver´s licenses every year?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration