Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 08:27 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,350,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Can we start a topic in Military Life and Issues?...
Still dodging, I see.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 10:04 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,860,553 times
The 1920 Census page (from Wilmington, Delaware) showing Martinez´s Grandparents is rather large, so I´ll just link it here...

Fermina Juárez Ortega crossing with her kids (Francisca, Minaranda, Galacion, and Juanita) late in 1913:

And a dozen days later, with the kids again:

Adolfo Rodriguez Martinez´s first WWI Draft Card (in El Paso, Texas):

The second WWI Draft Card (in Wilmington, Delaware, when he was probably already working for the railroad, and perhaps married to Francisca):

Links to the Death Certificates next...

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 09-11-2011 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: Adding data...

Old 09-11-2011, 10:10 PM

Fermina Juárez Ortega:

Adolfo Rodriguez Martinéz Death Certificate:

Francisca Ortega Martinéz Death Certificate:

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 09-11-2011 at 10:22 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 10:21 PM

Lastly, a time when Adolfo Rodriguez Martinez crossed (but the WWI Draft Card from El Paso predates this record):

I just noticed in addition to not intending to become a U.S, citizen, he also marked that he didn´t intend to return to Mexico after ¨laboring temporarily¨ in the United States. Daily visits? He goes to work in the U.S. soon afterwards, scoping out Delaware for later ¨invasion¨, I mean immigration.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:06 PM

I left this gem full-sized: http://ibmmuseum.com/Martinez/AdolfoMartinezBorderCrossing1921.jpg (broken link)

It has a picture (the baby has to be Susana´s Great Aunt Yolanda Martinez) and has an end answer to whether they were ¨without papers¨...

Old 09-20-2011, 08:51 PM

More updates:

In the month of September in 1908, Adolfo Rodriguez Martinez crossed to El Paso with his family. On the 8th, it is his older sister Concepcion (age 26, She apparently never marries, or has children, and moves back to Mexico by the late 1920´s), his brother Luis (age 12, he later moves to the Los Angeles area, becomes naturalized with his wife, also from Mexico, in the 1930´s. They have two sons), the youngest brother Saul (age 7, he is divorced and living back in Mexico by 1930, he might have had at least one child), and two cousins from their mother´s side (it lists her at a Chihuahua address, as their closest relative in Mexico): http://ibmmuseum.com/Martinez/Martin...ng8Sep1908.jpg

Then on the 19th, Adolfo (age 14, the future paternal Grandfather of current New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez) and his mother, Vicenta Rodriguez Martinez, a widow at age 45 (she will live in El Paso until around 1916, but crosses many times almost until 1930, where she is living back in Chihuahua, listed on the Mexico Federal Census. Most likely she dies in Mexico) cross the border. It lists the address (108 Fourth Avenue) of a boarding house in El Paso, apparently run by Vicenta´s mother (20 years older than her, and a widow herself), Mariana Esquivel Rodriguez: http://ibmmuseum.com/Martinez/Martin...19Sept1908.jpg

I haven´t accounted for how Maria Martinez, oldest of Adolfo´s siblings (born around 1880) crossed the border, but she could have been there with Concepcion at an earlier date, maybe coming over with her Grandmother. She later moves back to Mexico, also never marrying, and apparently without any children. But she is on the 1910 Federal Census in El Paso with the rest of the family: http://ibmmuseum.com/Martinez/1910FederalCensus.jpg

Adolfo isn´t there at Census time in 1910, but he has many crossing cards and manifest over the years. He certainly wasn´t in any unallowed immigration status at that time. I haven´t found any naturalization documents for Adolfo, as I did for Luis (the only other sibling that stayed in the United States), but it doesn´t mean it isn´t out there. If he still hadn´t naturalized by 1940, he would have had to register as an alien.

Failure to do that would make him out-of-status, but I don´t it would be practical for his job at that time, as a taxi driver. Most likely he would have even taken fares across the border each way. He did remarry after Francisca Ortega Martinez (Governor Martinez´s paternal Grandmother) died in 1934, and they had a half-sister (that married, and remained in the United States) of Jake, Governor Martinez´s father.

The family history I have related here also would make it quite rare that Governor Martinez has anyone as close as Second Cousins in Mexico. Since the siblings of Adolfo that moved back didn´t seemingly have very children, that portion of the line could have died out there. Maybe that could be a relief to her, as it lessens any relatives, like Obama had, of being illegal aliens now.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:23 PM

Wow, I had someone sign up with Ancestry.com today, and vacuum a little bit of this information I compiled...

They should have just read here instead...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration