Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 05:27 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

Mexico is the number-one source of immigration, both legal and illegal, to the United States, and has been for some time. Mexicans have made and are making their mark on American culture. It seems as though whether or not immigrants have their documents is not the only thing troubling a large percentage of the American population: they are also troubled by their effect on our culture, or that the U.S. may one day be a multicultural society.

How do you feel about Mexican culture?

What exactly do you despise about their culture?

Do you fear Mexican culture will influence its American counterpart? Does the fact that salsa now outsells ketchup, that Danza Kuduro and other Latin rhythms can be heard in nightclubs, or that Spanish has become the number-one foreign language learned by American students instill fear in you?

Do you clench your teeth and fists in anger when you hear banda music, see a lucha libre fight on English-speaking TV, hear about your co-worker's cousin's quinceañera, or notice your favorite chain restaurant has a new Mexican-themed special dish? Do you despise the tight Mexican extended family structure, the dense, chaotic Mexican cities, the affection-laden Mexican courtship process, or the bustling and noisy mercados?

Last edited by tvdxer; 09-17-2011 at 06:04 PM..

Old 09-17-2011, 05:30 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times
ya i despise mexican culture. i despise american culture also

Old 09-17-2011, 05:34 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
Nope...but I despise the fact that they fly their flags everywhere (when the American flag is nowhere to be seen) refuse to assimilate, act like we need to cater to them, bring their poverty over to this side of the fence - I am talking about the ILLEGAL ones FYI. My friends who are Mexican-American don't act that way.

There are many bad things about the Latino culture as a whole. My former boss and I were talking about it one day (he is half Puerto Rican and half Dominican) and he said Latino men are very "macho" and treat women badly. He said his dad demanded his clothes to be clean and food on the table when he got home from work and his mom was basically his slave. Yes, I know that happens up here too but not as often as it does in Latino countries.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:38 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
No, Mexican culture is just fine............in Mexico. There is a different culture here that they are trying to change in the face of growing opposition.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:48 PM

706 posts, read 940,222 times
[quote=tvdxer;20925226]Mexico is the number-one source of immigration, both legal and illegal, to the United States, and has been for some time. Mexicans have made and are making their mark on American culture. It seems as though whether or not immigrants have their documents is not the only thing troubling a large percentage of the American population: they are also troubled by their effect on our culture, or that the U.S. may one day be a multicultural society.

1)How do you feel about Mexican culture?

If You were to supply some examples of mexican culture, it might be somewhat easier to give an opinion. BTW, how do mexicans feel about "American" culture ?

2)What exactly do you despise about their culture?

Again, some examples would help define (for me at least) the various aspects of "mexican" culture.

3)Do you fear Mexican culture will influence its American counterpart? Does the fact that salsa now outsells ketchup, that Danza Kuduro and other Latin rhythms can be heard in nightclubs, or that Spanish has become the number-one foreign language learned by American students instill fear in you?

Nope ! I kinda like salsa....

BL

Old 09-17-2011, 05:54 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Here is my main objection and it doesn't just apply to Mexican culture. This change in our country is happening due to illegal immigration from Mexico and other Latino countries. It isn't natural nor is it lawful. I would feel exactly the same if the majority of illegals were Chinese for example.

As for Mexican culture per se if it includes giving birth to many babies at a young age that you can't support and don't value education, yes I despise that part of their culture. If it includes thinking your ethnic/national group should be above our laws (ethnocentric tribalism), yes I despise that part of their culture. If it includes not assimilating to American culture and our national language but rather trying to change it to the culture of their ancestors or their prior homeland, yes I despise that about their culture.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:57 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Mexico is the number-one source of immigration, both legal and illegal, to the United States, and has been for some time. Mexicans have made and are making their mark on American culture. It seems as though whether or not immigrants have their documents is not the only thing troubling a large percentage of the American population: they are also troubled by their effect on our culture, or that the U.S. may one day be a multicultural society.

How do you feel about Mexican culture?

What exactly do you despise about their culture?

Do you fear Mexican culture will influence its American counterpart? Does the fact that salsa now outsells ketchup, that Danza Kuduro and other Latin rhythms can be heard in nightclubs, or that Spanish has become the number-one foreign language learned by American students instill fear in you?
I find that Mexican culture is a rich, colorful, and dynamic culture that deserves the utmost respect. Mexicans are a fine, proud people.

Like any culture though, I despise the segment that is criminally-inclined, barbaric, uncultured, and ignorant. I think we should severely punish those who commit crimes and break the laws of this country. In particular, the members of Mexican gangs IMO should all be executed, both in and out of prison. These savages must be eliminated rather than wasting precious resources trying to rehabilitate them.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:01 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,367,490 times
riddle me this.

If you lived in a Latin country, would you celebrate 4th of july ? thanksgiving ? Memorial day ? Labor day ?

Americans gather in other countries to play baseball, BBQ, fly the flag, celebrate our holidays the locals are tolerent, why arent you ?

Old 09-17-2011, 06:14 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Do you despise Mexican / Latino culture?

It's fine for Mexicans, but I don't care for it.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:15 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
I don't hate Hispanic culture, I just wish they (the Hispanics) would respect the British & European roots of the United States ... specifically our origins as a British colony and the fact that we speak ENGLISH as a de-facto national language. As recently as 1910 more than 60% of Americans were of British or Irish descent. As recently at 1960 about 90% of Americans were of European descent.

This is what I identify with. I have more in common with my fellow Americans of European (and especially of British and Irish) descent than I do with these Hispanics with whom I have next to nothing in common with. They arent like me, they don't speak my language, and they have a totally different culture and history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration